Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crashing during world gen,  (Read 7914 times)

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crashing during world gen,
« on: May 18, 2016, 08:22:24 pm »

How do i essentially debug / find out whats causing crashing during world generation; essentially what I'm asking is there a crash log or some such?

I am running Masterwork version V.1.01 - Updated 13th May 2016 - For DF.42.06

Downloaded it like on the 15th or so.

My settings are as follows that would logically would effect world generation to my knowledge:

1. Settings - Have only disabled aquifer.

2. Mods - Have everything enabled apart from hungry ghosts.

3. Civs - (Active) Everything enabled (Question - Not really sure about this setting, does it mean that they're enabled in game or that they're a civ nation as in theirs a whole settlement of say vampires) (Fort) Only Dwarves enabled. (Adv) All enabled) - The rest of the settings are default.

4. Invaders -(Active) All the easy ones are enabled from beakwolves to werewolves. That's the only setting changed.

5. Creatures - Everything enabled (Suspected?)

6. Dwarf -Everything enabled apart from (Forges Weaponary Armory - due to being broken via tooltip)

7. Kobold - Nothing because nothing.

8. World Gen. Default.

I have applied the large address aware to Dwarf Fortress.exe

I am running Soundsense & DFhack.

World gen. World Size - Large. History - Very Long. NoC - Very High. MNoS - Very High. NoB - Very High - NS - Very High - MO - Everywhere.

Essentially I would like to know how to bug report or some such how do I figure out what is causing the crash. It seems to crash about 75-90% of the time at various stages from year 6 to year 104 out of a 125 world age generation I've only managed to generate 2 worlds, after like 20 or so attempts.

LP'er

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Crashing during world gen,
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 08:40:06 pm »

If you suspect creatures category, disable everything, and run again. Try and ID culprit. In my experience (some 200-500 world gens with variety of custom races), the culprit is probably in here.

World gen. World Size - Large. History - Very Long. NoC - Very High. MNoS - Very High. NoB - Very High - NS - Very High - MO - Everywhere.

Try making a small world. The large worlds I avoid (not just in masterwork), not sure if it is just me or what.

EDIT: Also consider using the advanced world settings (there are premade world formats, more stable IMO)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:24:43 pm by taldarus »

Yisin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 10:54:53 pm »

I have found it  that on large worlds the number of sites reaching around 1700 will almost always cause a crash in masterwork. Also if their are more than 40000 living units it becomes unstable and will crash 60-80% of the time. My best guess is this is due to memory limitations. I tend to use small or medium worlds and end the world gen before year 500 to avoid these problems. Hope this helps.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 12:34:06 am »

World Size - Large. History - Very Long
Try smaller/short worlds.

Vanilla has 3 allies and 1 hostile race, makes 4.
Masterwork has up to 28. There is a lot more going on.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 02:35:02 pm »

Yeah that's fine, thanks for the help, I had figured it was either a memory issues (I was checking task manager DF only got to 1.9k ram on world gen) or a corrupt event or some such due to the sheer amount of events/sites/buildings etc, but I will play on smaller worlds from now on :)

Thanks for the help.
LP'er

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 03:36:53 pm »

oh, in that case you can try the utility I include, a large adress aware patcher. Its in the GUI on the top, called LAA. Run it, select the dwarf fortress exe, then it should be able to use more ram.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 12:54:06 am »

I've noticed turning down  NS - Very High to High reduces crashing by about 20% its definitely not as often.

I assuming I didn't make it quite apparent but I had already applied the LAA to the Dwarf fortress.exe so I'm leaning towards bad events.

Maybe If i knew a way of exporting the legends/history or some such up to the point the world crashes so that I can try and figure out what happens just before it crashes.(looking at historical events looking for patterns if such an such profanes an alter but is invalid race or if X goes to war against Y it crashes :S IDK but you get the idea) As I've tried churning out small worlds in like minutes but I'd still get crashes at random ages, it's extremely unlikely that it's a memory issue at world age 9.

Edit: might have a look at PerfectWorldDF as it apparently has a way of looking at legends as the map is being generated?

"I have had a lot of fun just generating maps and reading the legends and watching empires rise and fall during the world gen process."
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:08:14 am by zakhad »
LP'er

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 01:23:22 am »

NS - Very High to High

?

You are not supposed to use the normal worldgen. Please use the advanced worldgen. At least when you try to add a lot of civs.

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 01:31:19 am »

NS is the Natural Savagery during the world gen parameters I mentioned in the opening post.

Your not supposed to use normal worldgen T_T w0t? That's news to me why is this? a side from the crashing during world gen (which might be explained by this?) I've not really been having any problems actually playing the game, when it works that is.
LP'er