Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Update 1.02 - 10 new workshops, 5 fonts, fix for TESB, engraving and prefstrings  (Read 14059 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I know it's Thursday, but I'm pretty much done with the update, so why not have it a day early? ;)

::: Current version: V.1.02 - Updated 19th May 2016 - For DF.42.06 :::
::: The MDF GUI requires Microsofts .NET-Framework 4.0 :::

::: If you like the content I produce and enjoy playing Masterwork, consider supporting it on Patreon. :::
::: It allows me to do regular updates and add more content more quickly. :::

::: Read up on future goals, vote on polls and make suggestions. :::
::: Or join community projects that add new mod content! :::

New Update - V-1.02 !

Notes: The leading item on the poll last week was "workshops/furnaces". So here you go, a nice round number, 10 new buildings for your intrepid dwarves.

1.Gemforge
Creates any weapon, armor or trapcomp that the dwarves have access to, using between 3-8 small cut gems for it. First gem used will determine the material of the product, so a diamond + rock crystal + rock crystal + rock crystal will make a diamond item. Dwarves are also a bit stupid about these items, since vanilla DF does not have gem weapons, so there is no stockpile option for them. Gems can be rather sharp, so they are good for edged weapons.

2.Rockforge
Same as above, just with normal rocks. Good for blunt weapons, horrible for edged weapons. And very heavy, so not that great for armor. This is more a flavor building than anything else, although mass-production of rock trapcomponents will make your fort safe in no time.

3.Glassforge
Same as above, with 3 sub-menus for clear glass, green glass and crystal glass. Sharp and not as heavy as rock, these are actually decent materials for items. Especially trapcomps and edged weapons. Uses rough glass as reagents.

4.Boneforge
Same as above, uses entire stacks of bones. If you have 20 bones in a stack and want to make a sword that only needs 5, it will create 4 swords in one go. Bone is a rather bad material, light but not sharp at all. Again, mostly for flavour.

5.Great Archive
The great archive is a building for community forts. It opens legends mode for you, so you can look up information on historical figures, artefacts, civs... if a dragon or titan comes by, the more curious of you can quickly read up on their backgrounds a bit. Makes storytelling much easier.

6.Thatchery
Another basic workshop, this one plant-based. Create wicker out of plants to either make furniture, tools or blocks. Wicker is very light, so wicker bins or wheelbarrows don't slow your workers down much. It's also great for flavour, building thatched roof huts.

7.Embroidery Studio
This workshop does three things: Make quilted cloth, close to copper in material stats; and padded cloth, close to iron in material stats. These can be used in the clothier to make clothing for your civilians that protects them a bit better. It still wears out though.

You can also make cloth furniture, using quilted/padded cloth and a block. This is mostly done for color-coding items or roleplaying. Padded beds sound much better than rock beds.

Lastly, you can embroider said cloth-based furniture. You can select from many different decoration types, which also increases the value of the item. An embroidered, dyed, padded bed is perfect for your nobles!

8.Dyers Studio
Use 8 dyes to make colored cloth. You can select between normal cloth, quilted cloth or padded cloth. Please mind that this is not the vanilla dyeing reaction, but instead replaces the material itself. A "pig tail cloth" will turn into a "red cloth" or "blue cloth", not a "red pig tail cloth". This new dyer studio has mostly been added to color-code your clothing, furniture or carpets.

9.Carpet(s)
By far the smallest and yet biggest addition. Carpets are purely decorative; you build a 3x3 workshop made of 1 piece of cloth. It takes on the color of the cloth and can be aligned into one of 20 pieces. See the screenshot below. These pieces can be put next to each other as you please, to make a multitude of designs. You have 280 options, 20 pieces X 14 colors. This took 6h for me to add, so I hope people will actually use them. If you do, please send me screenshots. :)

10.Poison Vat
A tiny 2x1 workshop that only requires a bucket to be build, the poison vat covers weapons, ammos or trapcomps with poisons. Very simple to use, you can either select "any ammo/weapon/trapcomp" or pick a specific item. The poison itself is milked from animals in your farm workshop, just like milk. All you need is the fitting animal; spiders, scorpions and snakes are a good bet. Every creature that has some form of venom can be milked. Try catching those in the caverns or buying from elves.

Screenshots:
Spoiler: Poison Vat (click to show/hide)

I also added 5 new TWBT fonts, which you can see here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apart from this I added some arctic creatures, lots of pref-strings, engravings, speech, etc... everything ornamental, decorative. I standardized grass to make the surface look less noisy; and added some reactions to kitchen, quern and millstone; fixed the Armory and Weaponry and added Armok Vision, a 3D visualizer.

I also updated The-Earth-Strikes-Back! with the newest version, which should fix the crashes some people have been reporting. I did turn the mod off by default just for safety; if you do play with TESB, please report any issues you have. (or dont have)

Here the full changelog: Features & Balancing V1.02:
- Added 75.000 procedually generated descriptors for engravings. 56 different shapes with tons of descriptions, making for random yet entertaining engravings.
- Fixed Armory/Weaponry. You can now improve any undecorated weapon or armor exactly once, raising their quality level!
- Fixed resetting GUI setting for The Earth strikes back.
- Added 1000 new prefstrings for creatures.
- Added 220 new speech lines for Adv-Mode.
- Added 300 new engraving decriptors.
- Standardized Grass. Only grass, evil/good grass and bamboo left.
- Added 15 new food types for prepared meals.
- Added Arctic Additions Mod by Malecus. Adds 20 arctic creatures, 2 megabeast, 1 entity and 4 plants to glaciers
- Added Armok Vision.
- Added link to Armok Vision and SoundSense to the utilities tab in the GUI.
- Added carpets. 280 variants of carpets.
- Added the Great Archive, a building that opens legends mode for you, while you play fort mode. Just press 'Esc' after using it to go back into fort mode.
- Added Gemforge. Weapons, Armors, Shields and Trapcomps from gems.
- Added Glassforge. Weapons, Armors, Shields and Trapcomps from glasses.
- Added Boneforge. Weapons, Armors, Shields and Trapcomps from bones.
- Added Rockforge. Weapons, Armors, Shields and Trapcomps from rocks.
- Added 6 new mushrooms and gave plump-helmets and dimple-cup fitting dye. This means 8 dyes for the 8 colors in DF.
- Added reaction to kitchen to make cheese from these 8 mushrooms.
- Added reactions to quern to mill individual plants.
- Added Embroidery Studio. Makes quilted and padded cloth; Makes quilted/padded cloth furniture; Embroiders quilted/padded furniture.
- Added Dyers Studio. Colors cloth, quilted and padded cloth. Good for picking specific colors for furniture, clothing and carpets.
- Added Thatchery. Makes wicker from plants; makes blocks and furniture from wicker.
- Reset Nightmare milk to local_creature_mat. (Its not standardized because you need it for a reaction)
- Added poison vat, add venoms/poisons to any ammo, weapon or trap-comp. Get venom from milking animals.
- Note: Millstones behave differently from vanilla. Querns mill soft materials (plants), while millstones mill hard materials (stone). You can grind boulders into sand, or grind rock items into dust to get rid of them.

Community feedback:
It is very important to me that people report their experience, issues and make suggestions. VOTING! on polls is something I'd please ask you to do.

This weeks poll:
Next poll is about dwarves and their content.

Patreon: 3 more people joined, bringing the total to 15. :) $53 in the pot. Downloads were just over 800 this week, down from the 1100 last version. (probably because I'm a day early.)

Plan for next week is adding an additional race, there has been a lot of work in my dev-version on orcs. They were the leading item on the poll, but now the humans have overtaken them. ^^

Cheers,
Meph
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:28:41 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist Reborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the four new forges, but I was wondering if you're planning to develop technology lines off of them? Right now it seems like they're only good for very early, when you don't have the industry set up for widespread use of metal, or for decorative purposes. Will there be ways to improve glass/stone/gem/bone weapons or armor so they compete with or are comparable to metal? I know the whole bone thing is explored more in other races, but it'd be nice for them to not all dead end at the very beginning.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I'm not sure. Old mod version had no upgrade system for those.

Glass will certainly got some more, but mostly about colors and glazing, decorative stuff, not weapon-materials. Bone I could do bonemold at least, for armors. But how would you go about upgrading rocks or gems for better armor? I think I will keep those as they are, with both being very-early stuff, mass-militia production, or decoration. Obsidian armor, ruby sword, lets fight some arena battles against captured animals.

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile

Hrmn, Thinking back to an idea you were throwing earlier about the Kobold 'Dragon Horde' that could eventually come in to play. You said that you will give Kobolds the ability to Dirt dig if you can for making living burrows for themselves. Is there any way to give them access to gems in some form? I mean, Kobolds love Shinies, and why would they pass up the perfectly good Shinies that are in the open Cave walls? Especially if they are trying to draw a dragon to their horde.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile

I'm getting a weird graphical error when I try to place a stonecrafter workshop. It just messes up half the screen when I move the "blueprint" around, I'm not even really sure if I can provide a save for it because I had to navigate the menu without the ability to see it and might have abandoned or retired instead of saving.

Okay so apparently I was successful in saving but the graphic problem isn't there anymore, so it's not a game-breaking bug so much as it's super-annoying and likely hard to diagnose.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:09:48 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Hrmn, Thinking back to an idea you were throwing earlier about the Kobold 'Dragon Horde' that could eventually come in to play. You said that you will give Kobolds the ability to Dirt dig if you can for making living burrows for themselves. Is there any way to give them access to gems in some form? I mean, Kobolds love Shinies, and why would they pass up the perfectly good Shinies that are in the open Cave walls? Especially if they are trying to draw a dragon to their horde.
So you are suggesting that Kobolds be able to dig soil and (perhaps with a different tool) gem clusters?  That's an interesting idea.  Ideally replace the tile with layer stone, but miners sometimes step into the tile they dig out.  Maybe a one-tile workshop that can extract the gem from an adjacent tile.  Would be pretty DFHack-intensive, which is nothing new for MW.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So you are suggesting that Kobolds be able to dig soil and (perhaps with a different tool) gem clusters?  That's an interesting idea.  Ideally replace the tile with layer stone, but miners sometimes step into the tile they dig out.  Maybe a one-tile workshop that can extract the gem from an adjacent tile.  Would be pretty DFHack-intensive, which is nothing new for MW.

Yes, thats a very intriguing idea. It would be labor intensive for Kobolds, But then again, what is not for the plucky little race? I also wonder if it would be feasible for Kobolds to have a Poison Vat like the Dwarves do now. I mean, Poison has always kinda been one of the kobold's  deals. Why should they only have their blow darts be coat-able in poison?

I'm getting a weird graphical error when I try to place a stonecrafter workshop. It just messes up half the screen when I move the "blueprint" around, I'm not even really sure if I can provide a save for it because I had to navigate the menu without the ability to see it and might have abandoned or retired instead of saving.

Okay so apparently I was successful in saving but the graphic problem isn't there anymore, so it's not a game-breaking bug so much as it's super-annoying and likely hard to diagnose.

Sounds like I had the same problem as you. Look at my thread for Intense Graphical Glitch to see if it was Similar. Meph says its a rare occurrence that happens.

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is the Masterwork Dwarf tab - Forges - Weaponry/Armory working now? They're enabled by default but the tool tip remains, saying that they're not working?
LP'er

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, I just tried to gen 3 worlds, and each of them, when I tried to export the info to legends, DFhack gave me this error

And the info refuses to work in Legends mode, giving me the following error:

There was an Error Loading this XML file. Do you wish to repair?

I click yes, and then it says

Repair completed. Would you like to overwrite the original file with the repaired version? (No Effect if opened from Archive)

I click yes

Unhandled Exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue the application with ignore this error and attempt to contined, if you click Quit, the Application with close immediately. Unexpected end of File had occoured, The following elements are not clsoed: historical_event .

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Is the Masterwork Dwarf tab - Forges - Weaponry/Armory working now? They're enabled by default but the tool tip remains, saying that they're not working?
yes, they are working. damn, I forgot about the tooltip.

exportlegends: No idea, its not my utility. It says something about caste_raw, maybe it does not like the modded dwarves. You can still export legends manually by opening legends mode.

kobold poisons: Sure kobolds will get poisons, but I did not work on kobolds this update.

Digging soil I had working for them in 40.24, but the script does not work anymore. :/

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

exportlegends: No idea, its not my utility. It says something about caste_raw, maybe it does not like the modded dwarves. You can still export legends manually by opening legends mode.

kobold poisons: Sure kobolds will get poisons, but I did not work on kobolds this update.

Digging soil I had working for them in 40.24, but the script does not work anymore. :/

About Export Legends...damn. I liked that shortcut Wierd that its not liking stuff now of all times. It worked for the prior two versions I used it on.

Glad to hear about Kobolds getting more poison options eventually, but its a damn shame that the old script does not work for Kobolds and dirt digging. I actually really miss the Dirt Digger shop too that allowed them to access Archeology, since they don't seem to have an option for it at the moment from what I recall.

chesse20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

can you turn off standarized grass. i like how patchwork grasses look

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

can you turn off standarized grass. i like how patchwork grasses look

Settings tab, bottom left column

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, I found an interesting bug in v1.01, but since that thread is locked, I'll put it in here. I don't see this in the change log so I assume it went unnoticed. It looks like if I capture and trained a wild animal, their meats are no longer standardized and sometimes causes crashes. The animals that my hunter hunted or killed by my military will give standardized products (sliced brain chop, gray langur skull, rugged skin, gray langur fat, and sliced meat). The monitor lizard was captured, trained and then butchered. Right now, I have a couple of captured and trained grey langurs, but every time I set them to be butchered, the game crashes. Also, none of the fat are not standardized, though I do see 'rugged fat', 'rugged tallow' and so on in the stockpile option. Are you working on it or finished working on it but it's not working as intended? This means that tallow and thus soap are not standardized.     

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile

Sounds like I had the same problem as you. Look at my thread for Intense Graphical Glitch to see if it was Similar. Meph says its a rare occurrence that happens.

Yeah it looked a lot like that except a bit lighter with some kind of dark symbol near the bottom.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:00:51 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle
Pages: [1] 2