Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Equipment for Naga Mercenaries (Dwarf mode)?  (Read 1173 times)

Polydiv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Equipment for Naga Mercenaries (Dwarf mode)?
« on: May 19, 2016, 04:33:39 pm »

I am playing version 1.01 of the mod.

Several nagas (both "nagas" and "helmet snake (wo)men") visited my fortress via tavern and requested residence for soldiering. I accepted them and want to equip them by forging metal armor and weapons. Nagas seem to have a different body shape and are smaller than dwarves, so I don't think standard-issue dwarf uniforms will work.

Right now, I gave each naga (all naga-sized) one helm, one mail shirt, one plate armor, and one pair of plate gauntlets. Some of them are too small for their weapons, like one naga pikeman who is too small to wield a pike, even if two-handed (how did he learn how to use a pike to begin with?). The two naga swordsmen are so small, the only sword they can use is a short sword, two-handed.

My questions:
  • What combo of armor pieces will give maximum protection to a naga?
  • How do I figure out this information for other races on my own (I'm not against looking into raws)?
  • I gave a naga a short sword, which according to the item definition, is too big for him to use one-handed, so I did not tell him to use a shield. But he grips the sword in his right hand only. Does this mean I can give him a shield without impairing his ability to use the sword?

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment for Naga Mercenaries (Dwarf mode)?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:50:10 pm »

It's time for some science! Polydiv, you are likely the first person to encounter this problem. I seriously doubt anyone knows the answer to your first question.

The second question: Sizes and armor layering gets really tricky. The wiki is a good place to start. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Armor. Understand there are two variables. Creature size and item size. Both are important.

Are you sure naga are smaller? I haven't studied the raws, but give em a check. I would guess that they are bigger. Regardless there is about a tolerance on creature size in regard to weapons. (a small man vs a big man. Can still hold roughly the same equipment)

Test your questions in the arena, and post em here!

Polydiv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 01:32:53 am »

So I am able to answer my own questions now:
  • By spamming excess armor pieces in the Object Testing Arena, the most heavily armored naga I can make, of any caste, is wearing:
    • 3 mail shirts
    • 1 plate armor
    • 1 helm
    • 2 plate gauntlets (though they have 4 arms, the extra 2 arms don't have hands, so they can't wear gauntlets)
    • 1 plate boot (on their tail)
    • 1 greaves (on their lower body)
  • And the way to find out is to try to spam as much armor as I can in the arena until they start falling on the ground as the unit spawns.
  • There seems to be some weird bugs with how big an adult creature is defined by the raws, and how big they actually are, which affects what weapons they can wield. Either that, or Therapist is not reporting the correct sizes for them. In any case, it seems that for the purpose of wielding weapons, every adult naga is considered to be size 50000 (their adult size in the raws), which means my mercenary nagas that Therapist says are only size 33000 or so can still wield short swords single-handed, but cannot use long swords at all, because you need to be size 52500 to use a long sword.
Nagas, at size 50000, are indeed smaller than dwarves.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 02:07:21 am by Polydiv »

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 03:14:55 pm »

That seems a little off. I have always had the image of nagas being really big. Their human part is a large human, and the snake tail adds a lot of volume, i would think.

taldarus

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 10:25:21 pm »

After a brief and informative read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nāga
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaya_Naga

Naga size ranges quite dramatically (misidentified large fish)
Naga can control water (rain and flood)
Naga are akin to dragons, with powerful Naga being labeled as serpent dragons
Naga are attributed the ability to shoot fireballs (bullet-like speeds of rising, burning gas)