Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Dwarf 4tress from Scratch - This time on Github!  (Read 49559 times)

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf 4tress from Scratch - This time on Github!
« Reply #195 on: February 08, 2017, 12:40:04 pm »

I'm bad at making creatures from scratch that aren't humanoid.
Gurps, alien generator from gurps space may help you.
Before you ask, yes the generator is very detailed.
Just, instead of rolling stuff at random, roll each stuff 3 (or 2) times and pick your best choice.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:43:54 pm by exdeath »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2017, 02:30:42 pm »

Hi. Erm.. most discussion has moved here 'cause Cerapter disappeard

link: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160947
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2017, 10:32:15 am »

Anyone still working on this?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2017, 10:37:12 am »

I tinker a bit, but don't have much time, exams ahead. Summer, I'll get plenty done.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 15, 2017, 07:10:11 pm »

OK I have expanded my knowledge of creature creation. I'm taking another stab at this mechanical race.

::EDIT::
Working prototype of Leader caste is functional. Just need to mess with tissue materials.

It's a naga-esque creature with a serpentine body and 6 arms. 4 arms have weapons permanently affixed to the ends, whereas the remaining two arms are smaller manipulator arms. They are not used in combat. As of right now it just sort of propels everything across the entire arena every time it connects, which is unintentional. So that needs fixin.

It also has a kingly crown. Most of the outside is made of brass, but the inner working will be made of some kind of easily-broken alloy. I think the bones of each caste with be made of progressively more valuable materials, with the monarch being made of gold or some such and the lowest drones made of lead or whatnot.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 09:32:49 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2017, 09:52:12 am »

Hey, this is Dwarf 4tress From Scratch. Why are you mentioning metals already in the game? In any case, I recommend making the weakest caste be made of an aluminum-clone metal, and maybe making the monarch out of a adamantine-clone metal? Gold is not a good combat metal.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #201 on: May 16, 2017, 10:26:27 am »

What pikachu means, is we try to use as little vanilla stuff as possible *looks at pikachu and his copper bots*

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 16, 2017, 10:43:39 am »

Oh yeah, I should probably remove the copper. Sorry.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 16, 2017, 12:17:48 pm »

Oh, do we have the materials all set? I didn't realize. Brass and gold and such is just a placeholder, it's easy peasy to just switch the mats later.

Or did you want me to whip out some custom metals?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 16, 2017, 12:46:00 pm »

It's your choice which metals they use, whether they are already existing, or one you make yourselves. Speaking of custom metals, could I just re-name copper?

Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 16, 2017, 12:58:30 pm »

Well I figured we were making all new everything, including mats.

Anyway I'm going to make some mats, then.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 16, 2017, 01:07:38 pm »

I meant metals that are already in D4FS.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2017, 02:33:17 pm »

I meant metals that are already in D4FS.

Derp derp got it.

Ok so, I'm diving headfirst into this now. I've made a metal alloy called Orichalcum that is a staple for this mechanical race. There is an upgraded version (alchemical Orichalcum) that is not as good as steel but better than iron. They cannot make steel. I also made alchemical silver, which is refined silver with blood and used in it's creation. I think I will make these mechanical creatures the result of a merge of alchemy (as a science) and clockwork technology. Gonna make alchemical versions of other metals to go with the whole thing, maybe build a material alchemy system etc etc.

On the other hand, I want them to be relatively benign, and requiring blood for their alchemical metals could end up quite sinister.

What do you guys think?

***QUICK QUESTION***
I want the alchemical forge thing to use a barrel in its construction since some kind of liquid is going to be used. It should be a magma/fire safe barrel, AKA an iron barrel or some such.

I can get it to use the barrel, but any time I try to get it to use a magma/fire-safe barrel the game won't recognize it. For testing purposes I used an iron barrel, and it would recognize it as safe. When I remove the restriction on magma/fire safe, it works just fine.

Is this a bug? It's not like it'll ruin everything if I have to use a regular barrel, but still. Every other part of it works, from the reactions to the custom workshop (even the visual look of it).

***MORE UPDATES BECUASE NOONE ELSE IS POSTING***

Ok the theme for this race is the remnants of a prehistoric civilization. They are the result of advanced clockwork and forgotten alchemical techniques.

All of the castes will be based on mythological creatures that vaguely fit their intended purpose. Clockwork Gorgons fill the role of ranged military. An avian-headed humanoid (based on the Caladrius) will be the medical/repair caste. The Monarch class, a regal Naga (He's got a rad crown affixed to his dome, with gems), is 100% fully functional. I think that there will be some kind of base-creature that is rebuilt/modified into it's intended caste. Maybe only the leader caste will be able to create more base-creatures? Perhaps there will be a queen caste.

They are all powered by a GEAR CORE resting in their chest/chest analogue that acts as a brain.

Additionally, multiple metals have been created to service this race. A special smelter, the ALCHEMICAL SMELTER, is also functional and can be used to create these metals. Most have an upgraded version attainable by further refining them with the ALCHEMICAL SMELTER.

Orichalcum - Bronze-esque in its utility, it is the base for most alchemical alloys and is used heavily in the mechanical society.
Silversheen - A silver analogue. The second base metal for machine alchemy. Since I don't want to just like, copy-paste real metals, I made it lighter.
Luminarium - A common metal. Hard but brittle, and very lightweight. Used in machine alloys, and makes up much of their actual clockwork workings.
Shimmerstone - A gem. White in color, fitted to most machine castes. Will have variable color while fitted to a creature.
Alchemical Metals - Alloys of the above metals (more to come of/as needed) are a general upgrade of their base forms. Alchemical Luminarium Alloy is used in the cores of the Monarch caste, but the techniques needed to forge it have been lost to time.

Anyhoo I've got all this working so far, and the framework to easily create more castes is almost in place. Also, GRAPHICS are made, and a racial language is almost done they have a language. To make said language, I took an existing language and am using case-sensitive find/replace to switch out phonemes until I have something that is completely different. This has resulted in such gems (edited them out) as [T_WORD:PURE:anal].

Errorlog is empty

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:07:41 pm by Dunamisdeos »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 22, 2017, 06:38:27 pm »

On the other hand, I want them to be relatively benign, and requiring blood for their alchemical metals could end up quite sinister.
How about requiring barrels of oil? Maybe make a stone you can turn into oil. You do know you can't actually make creatures with a reaction, right?
***QUICK QUESTION***
I want the alchemical forge thing to use a barrel in its construction since some kind of liquid is going to be used. It should be a magma/fire safe barrel, AKA an iron barrel or some such.

I can get it to use the barrel, but any time I try to get it to use a magma/fire-safe barrel the game won't recognize it. For testing purposes I used an iron barrel, and it would recognize it as safe. When I remove the restriction on magma/fire safe, it works just fine.

Is this a bug? It's not like it'll ruin everything if I have to use a regular barrel, but still. Every other part of it works, from the reactions to the custom workshop (even the visual look of it).
May I see the raws for the building?
Anyhoo I've got all this working so far, and the framework to easily create more castes is almost in place. Also, GRAPHICS are made, and a racial language is almost done they have a language. To make said language, I took an existing language and am using case-sensitive find/replace to switch out phonemes until I have something that is completely different. This has resulted in such gems (edited them out) as [T_WORD:PURE:anal].
You started with a D4FS language file, right? otherwise it probably won't work right.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 22, 2017, 07:01:53 pm »

I am indeed aware! You can create a reaction that releases a substance that only affects a certain creature class. Through this a creature can be transformed into another creature, and can therefore be "created" at a workshop. Does this no longer work? I planned on making a base pet creature that could be used for this purpose.

Building raw is as follows. An iron barrel would be considered magma safe, would it not? Just in case I'm nuts.

I started with the dwarf file. I've created language files before using this method, and it works fine :)
Since they are a remnant of a prehistoric race, I thought it might be fun to make it vaguely similar to an existing (or multiple) existing languages. I know we won't keep any of the vanilla languages, but I'll know :3
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:21:34 pm by Dunamisdeos »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16