Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Dwarf 4tress from Scratch - This time on Github!  (Read 49547 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf 4tress from Scratch - This time on Github!
« Reply #210 on: May 22, 2017, 07:13:01 pm »

I am indeed aware! You can create a reaction that releases a substance that only affects a certain creature class. Through this a creature can be transformed into another creature, and can therefore be "created" at a workshop. Does this no longer work? I planned on making a base pet creature that could be used for this purpose.
This does indeed work.
I started with the dwarf file. I've created language files before using this method, and it works fine :)
uh, if you started with the dwarf language, then you didn't use a D4FS language file. There is no dwarf language in D4fs. Try starting with the capitalist language file.
Since they are a remnant of a prehistoric race, I thought it might be fun to make it vaguely similar to an existing (or multiple) existing languages. I know we won't keep any of the vanilla languages, but I'll know :3
I suppose you could try, but we don't have all the old words, and have some new ones. In fact please tell me of any words that are D4FS that were in vanilla, and suggest a replacement word.

I will look at the building and see if I can make it work.

Gwolfski:Does D4Fs still crash?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #211 on: May 23, 2017, 01:20:39 am »

I am indeed aware! You can create a reaction that releases a substance that only affects a certain creature class. Through this a creature can be transformed into another creature, and can therefore be "created" at a workshop. Does this no longer work? I planned on making a base pet creature that could be used for this purpose.
This does indeed work.
I started with the dwarf file. I've created language files before using this method, and it works fine :)
uh, if you started with the dwarf language, then you didn't use a D4FS language file. There is no dwarf language in D4fs. Try starting with the capitalist language file.
Since they are a remnant of a prehistoric race, I thought it might be fun to make it vaguely similar to an existing (or multiple) existing languages. I know we won't keep any of the vanilla languages, but I'll know :3
I suppose you could try, but we don't have all the old words, and have some new ones. In fact please tell me of any words that are D4FS that were in vanilla, and suggest a replacement word.

I will look at the building and see if I can make it work.

Gwolfski:Does D4Fs still crash?

Last time i checked, no. unable to test now, though
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 23, 2017, 12:09:07 pm »

Hmm. I must have some misunderstanding of how language files function. I thought that the words were defined in the language_word file, then translated into the various dwarf/elf/goblin languages in the language_xxxxx files? Because the DWARF file is included in the master, and that the language_word file is identical to vanilla. Are we keeping the language_word or should I wait for the master word list to be added/updated? I can always run this process later for a unique language.

Anyway I'll make sure it functions properly before I post it. Don't worry about it, I'll get that building working. The building doesn't require magma anyway, so it's not really sensible. Debugging my own stuff is part of the fun! Maybe it won't require barrels when I'm done. Maybe it will require flasks. Who knows!  8)

***MORE QUESTIONS***
Weapons: Are we using any from vanilla? It seems like the concept of a sword or axe would not change much from vanilla. Certain things like basic weaponry or the composition of skin or muscle seem like they should be included, since they have real-world constants. It's a fair bet anything practical we come up with has some kind of real precedent.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:04:52 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2017, 01:17:35 pm »

I think the languafes stayed as it is hell of work to write a new one.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2017, 01:32:51 pm »

I think the languafes stayed as it is hell of work to write a new one.

So long as we keep the same word list (I am understanding this correctly, right) I can p much crank out new languages at will. I'd be happy to grab ahold of that (outside of the languages people create for their own stuff, of course). Just let me know.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2017, 01:17:31 am »

Hmm. I must have some misunderstanding of how language files function. I thought that the words were defined in the language_word file, then translated into the various dwarf/elf/goblin languages in the language_xxxxx files? Because the DWARF file is included in the master, and that the language_word file is identical to vanilla. Are we keeping the language_word or should I wait for the master word list to be added/updated? I can always run this process later for a unique language.

Anyway I'll make sure it functions properly before I post it. Don't worry about it, I'll get that building working. The building doesn't require magma anyway, so it's not really sensible. Debugging my own stuff is part of the fun! Maybe it won't require barrels when I'm done. Maybe it will require flasks. Who knows!  8)

***MORE QUESTIONS***
Weapons: Are we using any from vanilla? It seems like the concept of a sword or axe would not change much from vanilla. Certain things like basic weaponry or the composition of skin or muscle seem like they should be included, since they have real-world constants. It's a fair bet anything practical we come up with has some kind of real precedent.
using xboxto type this. hate it. anyway, no vanilla weapons. language files should NOT be vanila. if they are, something is wrong. gwolfski, check this out.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2017, 06:38:48 pm »

What about picks and such? Are we just renaming things like that?

Personally I think things like this are why the OP says "almost" everything.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2017, 07:39:51 pm »

@pikachu Go write some non vanilla ones, then. I have no time or motivation for that right now

@Dunamisdeos Yeah.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2017, 08:52:50 pm »

Came up with some traps.

The Ram Trap is meant to simulate a large beam on a swing that slams into the target. One very hard hit.

The Spinning Triple-Blade trap is inspired by Elder-Scrolls spinning blade traps, which have 3 blades on a stick that spin. 3 hits.

Finally, there's a Dart Trap (which will work, I hope). In theory it shoots a number of small projectiles from the floor blowdart-style hitting 10 times for minor damage each. Once we have a working civ up I'll test em' proper with the available materials.

Since that's a standalone raw, what's the preferred method of uploading? Post em' here for review and then Gwolfski adds to master? Also, another thought: I increased the amount of material needed for traps. I figure this will help balance them against spamming them to win. If a sword costs a bar to make, then a triple-blade trap should cost 3x one sword.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:56:42 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #219 on: May 27, 2017, 03:52:52 am »

Came up with some traps.

The Ram Trap is meant to simulate a large beam on a swing that slams into the target. One very hard hit.

The Spinning Triple-Blade trap is inspired by Elder-Scrolls spinning blade traps, which have 3 blades on a stick that spin. 3 hits.

Finally, there's a Dart Trap (which will work, I hope). In theory it shoots a number of small projectiles from the floor blowdart-style hitting 10 times for minor damage each. Once we have a working civ up I'll test em' proper with the available materials.

Since that's a standalone raw, what's the preferred method of uploading? Post em' here for review and then Gwolfski adds to master? Also, another thought: I increased the amount of material needed for traps. I figure this will help balance them against spamming them to win. If a sword costs a bar to make, then a triple-blade trap should cost 3x one sword.
Do you use github? If yes, pm me (on github) so i can add you to the project. The links are in the thread in the modding section, the ones here are outdated. if no, send the files to me and ill add them

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2017, 10:10:06 am »

@pikachu Go write some non vanilla ones, then. I have no time or motivation for that right now
Non-vanilla whats? I've already created a non-vanilla language, and a number of non-vanilla weapons.
Anyway, I've created an update here. Please test it and tell me if it crashes or has other problems.
Dunamisdeos, try downloading this, copying language_p17, renaming the _p17 part to whatever your handle will be, changing the _p17 inside the file as well, renaming the translation from CAPITALIST to something else, then you can use this for your one language.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 01, 2017, 01:31:30 pm »

I don't understand, do you want to copy-paste common words from vanilla to a new word file?

Wouldn't it make sense in this case to add your words to an existing word file to avoid rewriting things that actually already exist? If you really want to do it that way, go for it, but I guess let me know when it's done and I'll draw from the completed word list/language. Looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:41:45 pm by Dunamisdeos »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2017, 01:21:34 pm »

I don't understand, do you want to copy-paste common words from vanilla to a new word file?

Wouldn't it make sense in this case to add your words to an existing word file to avoid rewriting things that actually already exist? If you really want to do it that way, go for it, but I guess let me know when it's done and I'll draw from the completed word list/language. Looking forward to it.
it's already here, and semi-completed. It currently has most of the creatures from D4FS, and all civ creatures. I didn't copy-paste from vanilla, I used the DFFS 1 language files and added some words to them. You seem to think we have vanilla language files in D4FS, but we haven't had the vanilla language files in a while. I was saying you should start with a existing D4FS-compatible file, instead of starting with non-compatible vanilla languages. I hope you understand what I mean, as it seems we both are misunderstanding each other. I said the lanuage is semi-completed, because I will have to add the words for new creatures as they come in, and I obviously can't do that before the actual creatures are made, as I can't see the future. When I add new words to the base Lang files, I will give the other modders the list of new words, so they can add the new words to their language. In case you are wondering, when a language has no translation for a word, it just shows up in English.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2017, 03:44:01 pm »

So it isn't necessary for every word in a language file to be defined in the language_word file? I thought it would not work properly without those two matching. Because we are missing things like "eye" or "weather" or "rock" or "leaf" in the language_p17 word file.

Like now I see in the most recent master that there is a language_pikachu that is the vanilla language file with the translations changed, which unless I'm wrong it seems should need the vanilla language file to function properly (which is included). Now I'm more confused, because that is exactly what I did.

The vanilla one is definitely still included in the master download, and so is the language_DWARF. I'm just confused as to the intended function of all this, because it seems like the vanilla word file is in actual active use here in addition to your extra words (from your recent Pikachu's contributions update) for all the custom creatures and such. This current setup, to me, seems like the most efficient way to do things. I guess I just want to understand your language plan so that I can plan around your plan that you are planning for all of our plans.

Also, love the idea of standardized organ tissues/mats and the like. Never understood why there are separate tissues/mats for each individual organ.

::UPDATE::
I've decided my mechanical race will be a steam-powered race and will create "food" from water. This food will represent some kind of capsule or container of water/unit of steam created at a workshop.

Heat is provided by their alchemical cores.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:55:58 pm by Dunamisdeos »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 05, 2017, 02:41:40 pm »

Did you download the update I posted a few posts back? I haven't yet updated my github yet, though. Language _DWARF may be in the master but it should not be, and neither should language_words or language_symbol.
I am posting on a tablet so I'm not absolutely sure those are the names of the vanilla ones, but the vanilla files should not be there.
Language_DWARF should not be considered compatible with D4FS.
Did I say I was standardizing organ tissue mats? In any event, I am still going to be using special brain and heart mats, because potions, but there's no reason that kidneys/livers/ETC. should all get their own mats.
It is necessary for every word in a language to in a words file, but it is not necessary that every word in a _words file to be in a translation.
What words are in language_words_p17 and not in language_p17?
I should probably download the master, and see if vanilla language files are indeed in it.
Sorry for the eclectic ordering of sentences in my posts.
As soon as Gwolfski tells me that my update does not crash, I will update my Github.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16