Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Dwarf 4tress from Scratch - This time on Github!  (Read 48499 times)

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf 4tress from Scratch - This time on Github!
« on: May 20, 2016, 12:19:31 pm »

Development continues here.

Dwarf 4tress From Scratch

Welcome back! Dwarf Fortress from Scratch has returned, yet again!

Dwarf Fortress from Scratch is an ambitious project where we delete almost literally everything from the game's raws, and then start filling them back up, with our own creations. This means creatures, civilisations, stones, soils, items, reactions, LITERALLY EVERYTHING.

This time, however, we'll be doing the entire thing on Github, so be sure to register up and start modding!
Note, that you do not need Github to play. You may download the current version at any time. In fact, you don't necessarily need Github to mod, either, but more on that on the Github page.

The previous iterations of the mod have all been bogged down by people disappearing and never finishing their town, major confusions regarding whose turn is it, et cetera. WELL, NO MORE! From now on, you may, at any time, send in anything you have created.

Please note while we talk about a few rules and "quality assurance", I will not allow any contributions. However, you may still check the Github for the project here: CLICK

As I said above, in the previous iteration, we have decided on a few standards. In fact, as of right now, I'm still using the previous iteration's very first version.

Currently all standards that were agreed upon:
  • Standardised creature and reaction classes.
  • A theme: rise of technology and fall of magic. See wiki for details.
  • Vanilla organic templates.
  • A new colour palette. Already implemented.

Standards that are to be debated:
  • Vocabulary and language change.

The language_words file have a large amount of words to use in random name generation... that do not make sense in any iteration of DFFS. The debate was between deleting all the words and making up new ones as we go on, and keeping the vanilla words in. A decision was reached in that we get rid of the vanilla words that don't (or no longer) make sense, and add our own, a mix between the two, but was never implemented. With a new iteration, this debate is once again open.

Standards that come with the new platform:
  • You are to make a wiki page for everything you have made, for "lore". If you are making a controllable civilisation or adventurer, you are to write up how it would be different from your average dwarf or human.
  • You are to make sure your files are without bugs.
  • We will publish a "release", periodically. This period is not yet decided. You can still download the entirety of the project yourself, however, a "release" should be without bugs.
  • We are to get a list of every "necessary" thing we need. For example, we always had too many forest animals, and not enough soil materials. Filling the necessary objects first should be our main priority.
  • We are to avoid anything too overpowered. Note that I do not say, you can't have it; but don't have it as your only addition. Please also note that having overpowered things isn't bad: it's just that these projects always had a problem with OP creatures filling up the world in the first few versions -- they generally normalise out later.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 04:44:52 am by Cerapter »
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf 4tress from Scratch - This time on Github!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 12:20:45 pm »

Hey neat.

Id def want to find some time to do something like this.  Im currently involved with my own moddery, but neat.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 12:30:23 pm »

Nice! So, just delete ALL the raws, or do some raws have to be vanilla for the game to not crash refuse to start?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 12:38:27 pm »

We make new raw files. YOu can start the game without any, but to actually be able to play you need atleast one stone, atleast one soil, and at least one playable faction. I think you might need a few other things, but we're not keeping anything from vanilla.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 12:38:48 pm »

Nice! So, just delete ALL the raws, or do some raws have to be vanilla for the game to not crash refuse to start?
Ha ha, not literally ALL the raws, I was exaggerating. Halfling, the guy who made the first version (and who has not logged in for 2 years now, Ripperoni In Pepperoni) deleted all the raws and tried out what we need for the game to stop whining, and then filled out the material templates with his own -- he wanted quicker and more deadly fights, so most organic tissue were changed.

Anyway, we have a dummy file full of random body parts, so that the game won't generate random creatures that are, uuuuh, too normal, and we have some material templates.

This, of course, does not mean that the game will run perfectly. And by this, I mean the first few versions always crash when you hover over an ocean in world generation because we always forget the ocean soil, for example.

But other than that, it gets trippy fast, because everything is new.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 01:51:24 pm »

Off to the wikis i go!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 04:52:50 pm »

It would be interesting if the elves in this new version were actually mobile saplings spawned by special trees in the forest and their bodies release an "elf-tree" seed (or whatever) upon death.  Having them also be the places where slade towers rise instead of the goblins would be glorious.  Can you imagine?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 04:55:31 pm »

Oh god, that would get so messy. You'd kill the elves, just for them to grow back in a few years, and over and over again, until you're eventually over ran!

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 04:57:19 pm »

I'd say anything is possible, but really, modding has always been pretty limited in DF.
Regardless, you could make elves drop items on their death, and you can put them in Slade towers.

Concerning the project, I still await input regarding the points that I have made in the OP.
Further, I have filled in some issues that we need to fix before we could start developing stuff. Check 'em here.

EDIT: How would everyone like a "fall of magic, rise of technology" theme? This would basically mean industrial revolution level technology or so, with some semi-fantastic elements, but you could also have totally magical civilisations. Or completely normal ones, too.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 05:14:19 pm by Cerapter »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 05:20:06 pm »

EDIT: How would everyone like a "fall of magic, rise of technology" theme? This would basically mean industrial revolution level technology or so, with some semi-fantastic elements, but you could also have totally magical civilisations. Or completely normal ones, too.

Sounds good, but could we like have the ability to get high-tech stuff by let's say a research reaction that has a 1% chance succeeding?

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 05:24:49 pm »

This ain't gonna be a one-man show, if you wanna do that, sure.

Though I think if you give a civilisation a reaction, they are guaranteed to use it, basically. I might be wrong, though.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 05:28:36 pm »

Should make it less than 1%.

a fortress with years to live and die should be playing with a 1/1000s percent chance of getting a uberweapon.

But I would say itd be neat to have to 'research' 'how do refine addy-esque materials'
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 06:15:56 pm »

I like the idea of the theme. I might add in a civilization (which would be incredibly rare and non-playable) which has very advanced weaponry, or invading aliens/eldritch horrors, that kind of thing :P

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 04:29:56 am »

Well, ima gonna go make some basic sand and silo and stuffs!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16