Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpile give to zones  (Read 512 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Stockpile give to zones
« on: May 20, 2016, 01:29:00 pm »

Hi!

I did do a search before posting this thread and didn't fid anything similar, but if it has already been suggested before, then my apologies.

My suggestion is this: given that zones are becoming more common and specialized (with the hospital, library, tavern and church designations now), could we get a modification so that stockpiles can give to specific zones in addition to giving to specific workshops?

The reason I ask is because I like to keep my "real" thread for clothing, while directing the spun hair thread to the hospital and book-binding industries.  Having stockpiles giving to zones would help with the hospital end of this (and I can see it helping for a bunch of other things as well, like diverting outsider-specific goods to taverns etc.).

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Adam Mantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpile give to zones
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:43:18 pm »

Another related possibility would be to have an option to set hospitals to use only hair thread and/or preferentially use hair thread, either as a standing order or as part of the specific hospital's settings

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 03:28:57 pm »

Sounds excellent.

With your system we could also de-clutter written quire technicalities by perhaps having it be backwards compatible with workshops (as in able to link in all stockpile components rather than having to burrow to direct the flow of goods since written quires are a unstockpilable component)

Not to mention the benefits of controlling drinking cups; so the better mugs are selected for your dwarves rather than being random and can be pre-arranged to be stashed away in your inn keeper's chest.

Other things too could come about by this for zone orientated behaviours like assigning seeds to be allocated to a zone space or Toady's comments on moving the workshop system into dynamic zones with tools being more viable.

> In relevance to agricultural/horticultural zones drawing off seed banks of trees and grass perhaps for planting on fertile soil -

planting/grass/tree seeding (I) area
(Author - FantasticDorf - February 13, 2016)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 03:20:19 pm »

Hi!

And i just had another thought for this:

Have stockpiles also be able to give to rooms that are designated from furniture rather than zones (like dining rooms, barracks/dorms, etc.), assuming that Toady isn't planning to render the furniture-based room designation method completely obsolete.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur