Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: DF v.43 Work orders questions and suggestions  (Read 91385 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v.43 Work orders questions and suggestions
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2016, 03:50:31 am »

Amount of melt-designated items
   available is at least 1

For some reason, it is always "Not satisfied for next check", any ideas?

Edit*(facepalm, clicked quote instead of modify)

It was fixed for some reason, I just deleted the order and created a new one.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:53:54 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2016, 09:48:32 pm »

Edit* Maybe most jobs require at least 1 day to finish.

I really wish there were an easy way to tell how long a task will take (on average).  Of course it depends on skill for a lot of things, but if something took 1 hour, it would be nice to know that you could have a job size of 10 and it wouldn't really make a difference for scheduling.  However, my take is that it is almost never beneficial to set recurring job sizes to more than 1 per workshop.

Speaking of which, one of the nice(ish) things about the system is that if you have 3 different jobs queued for a workshop and the first job finishes in less than a day, the second one will get started.  In fact, it seems to  set the job in the workshop exactly the way you would do by hand.  You can look at the workshop to see what is scheduled.

Which leads me to:

By the way, the topic just reminded me.
I had charcoal making order(refined coal at most 50) which went wrong for no reason, the dwarves keep making new charcoals despite there were alredy 1400 of them.
I had to delete the order and create a new one, that fixed the problem. I don't know if it was a bug or I accidentally changed daily to yearly. :P

I totally forgot about this, because I avoid it now.  If you set a job manually in the workshop, it can screw up the work orders.  The way I get around this is that if I want to add a manual job to a workshop, I cancel the work order jobs (in the workshop -- not the work order) first and then add the manual task.  This seems to work every time.  Similarly, if you remove a work order that is already activated, you have to be careful to cancel the job from the workshop, because it can sometimes just repeat forever.  Sorry I didn't think about mentioning that before now!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2016, 10:47:31 pm »

Thanks for the tips.
Yeah, I recall I cancelled every jobs in the workshop to see if my change actually worked(if it worked then no new make charcoal jobs were being added).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2016, 12:35:02 am »

Maybe a silly question, but when a work order says (for example), "Restarts if completed, rechecked daily", does this mean that if the work order completes in less than a day it will start over again?  Or will it only complete the work order once and then wait for the next check (ie. the next day)?
It will wait until the next day. The effect can be noticeable with brewing, which is why I set the quantity greater than 1 to avoid falling behind demand.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2016, 05:37:22 am »

I'm a bit surprised by that because my back of the envelope calculations has a single brewer being able to brew a month's worth of booze for 200 dwarfs in 16 days.  Each dwarf drinks twice a month, so 400 drinks.  A single plant generates 5 booze, average plant stack size of 5 so 25 booze per brewing session.  400 / 25 = 16.  Even with cooking and visitor usage, does it really get to the point where it is tight? Hmm... thinking about it... I wonder how much booze visitors drink...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2016, 10:38:51 pm »

I'm a bit surprised by that because my back of the envelope calculations has a single brewer being able to brew a month's worth of booze for 200 dwarfs in 16 days.  Each dwarf drinks twice a month, so 400 drinks.  A single plant generates 5 booze, average plant stack size of 5 so 25 booze per brewing session.  400 / 25 = 16.  Even with cooking and visitor usage, does it really get to the point where it is tight? Hmm... thinking about it... I wonder how much booze visitors drink...
Maybe if you create a burrow for the brewers. Otherwise, the majority of time is wasted waiting for them to stop socializing and make their way to the brewery each time the job re-queues.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:41:01 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2016, 11:06:53 pm »

I don't have drink problem either, I have 2 to 3 stills, and there are 130-140 dorfs.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2016, 11:11:44 pm »

I don't have drink problem either, I have 2 to 3 stills, and there are 130-140 dorfs.
If each still has its own work order. If you're using a global work order of quantity (1) checked daily, then it's not enough brewing jobs. It won't queue up another job until the day after the previous one is completed. They'll head to the tavern in that time.

A single legendary brewer can handle a fort of 200 as long as the quantity is (2) checked daily. This makes sure they get the next day's brewing done on schedule.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:24:44 pm by Bumber »

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2016, 11:32:40 pm »

It is a repeative order ∞/∞ with condition.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2016, 01:47:45 am »

Those never stop, even when the condition fails. You'll keep on getting cancel spam once you run out of brewable items or barrels.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:50:21 am by Bumber »

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2016, 02:22:18 am »

Those never stop, even when the condition fails. You'll keep on getting cancel spam once you run out of brewable items or barrels.
Well, actually I think it was bugged. Because laste time I checked I had over 2000 drinks.
I deleted the order and all active jobs and created a new order, they stopped brewing.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2016, 02:36:12 am »

Well, actually I think it was bugged. Because laste time I checked I had over 2000 drinks.
I deleted the order and all active jobs and created a new order, they stopped brewing.
∞/∞ with condition checks the condition once and then brews on repeat.  It's a feature (that I can't think of a use for) rather than a bug.  I sure there must be *something* you could do with it, but nothing comes to mind...

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2016, 03:29:07 am »

∞/∞ with condition checks the condition once and then brews on repeat.  It's a feature (that I can't think of a use for) rather than a bug.  I sure there must be *something* you could do with it, but nothing comes to mind...
Ah, I see. Just failed to think.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2016, 10:52:04 am »

The only use I could see is anticipating a one off industry that's critical and of an unknown total size. Like if you plan to mine out a bunch of candy and wanted to get it all into wafer form before some dwarf sutures with the strands. Or if you want to setup a condition to butcher a whole lot of beak dogs post siege. You could setup the infinite/infinite order with conditions, once the condition is met your fortress will go into full blown production mode, and then once you start getting cancelation spam you can stop the order.

But really that's barely an advantage over just setting up the infinite order once you reach the condition.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2016, 11:19:50 am »

The only use I could see is anticipating a one off industry that's critical and of an unknown total size. Like if you plan to mine out a bunch of candy and wanted to get it all into wafer form before some dwarf sutures with the strands. Or if you want to setup a condition to butcher a whole lot of beak dogs post siege. You could setup the infinite/infinite order with conditions, once the condition is met your fortress will go into full blown production mode, and then once you start getting cancelation spam you can stop the order.

But really that's barely an advantage over just setting up the infinite order once you reach the condition.

I suppose it could be advantageous if you're forgetful.  For example, sometimes I forget to brew and make meals after trades.  So in addition to my normal maintenance work orders I could set up sudden influx orders where if I end up with over, say, 20 or 30 brewables or cookables they just burn through materials until cancellation spam starts.  Then I could delete the orders and set up new ones.  I say this all hypothetically because I've never done it.  The worst thing that usually happens when I forget is I see some jerk dwarf eating a strawberry and I remember.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11