Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: DF v.43 Work orders questions and suggestions  (Read 90746 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: DF v.43 Work orders questions and suggestions
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2016, 03:53:32 pm »

Hi guys. I don't know if this is the place for it but I believe I have found a slight malfunction with the new work order system...
Sounds like you're using a perpetual order. Conditions are only checked each time [order quantity] items are created.

That, or the items are getting tied up. Do your conditions show as met on the screen?

Claimed bolts don't count towards bolt count. Updated my list and added sand collection and melting.

Booze production at quantity 1 (checked daily) seems insufficient for my fort. Brewer creates one batch and then goofs off for several days while supplies dwindle. Increasing it to quantity 5.
You could probably also set the orders individually in a few different Stills instead of just having a global order. Might not be worth it unless you are going to try and micro a few specific booze types with linked stockpiles though.
I only have 1 still, which has been sufficient for my fort of 150. I'm pretty sure two individual orders are the same as a general order of quantity 2.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 03:56:15 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Jebster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2016, 03:57:27 pm »

Hi Bumber. I had each order set to make 5 of each product not a perpetual order. I won't lie though, I did make this mistake for a long time haha.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 06:22:39 pm »

Hi Bumber. I had each order set to make 5 of each product not a perpetual order. I won't lie though, I did make this mistake for a long time haha.
What does your conditions screen look like? Are the conditions reading as met? Maybe one of your inequalities is reversed?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Jebster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2016, 03:37:58 am »

Ah that's something I didn't check, in a panic I just deleted the relevant work order that was over producing, could it be that saving and reloading could mess with the inequalities like that?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2016, 04:09:20 am »

I noticed a similar overproduction issue on one of my sand collection orders, which just seemed stuck "active" even with unsatisfied conditions. Not 100% if it wigged out after saving though, it took a bit of no empty bag spam to notice anything was up.

A second order, identical but at a different Glass Furnace, kept working just fine without issue.

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2016, 09:30:12 pm »

I can't remember; is there a way to disallow specific materials?

Eg, I want to (say) create 500 bone bolts monthly, using any type of bone available but /not/ those from Forgotten Beasts (they're better used for export crafting)..

I've looked thru the options available (reagents etc) but the current system doesn't seem to allow for this level of granularity :(

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2016, 10:13:52 pm »

There is sadly not, but even if there were you'd have to disable like hundred forgotten beasts, since each and every one is counted as separate species, and you probably don't have hundred different animals in your meat industry making enabling only those you have easier anyway.

Also, when it comes to exports, forgotten beasts have modvalue of 1 - the lowest possible - and masterwork destruction announcement in 42.06 + the legends mode saying they were destroyed by dragon always suggests the items caravan takes off the map are removed from game.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:16:11 pm by Fleeting Frames »

sdp0et

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 04:31:04 pm »

Can someone explain the differences between "at most"/"less than" and "at least"/"greater than"?  Is one inclusive and the other not? 
sdp0et has been stressed lately. He was been accosted by work recently. He has been annoyed by coworkers. He admired a wonderful bed today. He admired a wonderful woman today.  He needs Coca-Cola to get through the working day.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2016, 11:35:59 pm »

Can someone explain the differences between "at most"/"less than" and "at least"/"greater than"?  Is one inclusive and the other not?
"At most" is "Less than or equal to". "At least" is "Greater than or equal to".

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2016, 03:04:27 pm »

What a great thread. Thanks everyone for all the examples!
This is much less complicated than I woulda thought, and if I hadn't came across this thread I wouldn't have gotten around to trying it out.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Qev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2016, 01:42:22 am »

Does anyone have the mystical manager formula to limit dye production?  My managerial alchemy seems to be failing me on this one, as the conditions don't seem to track the amount of any chosen type of dye.

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2016, 10:28:58 am »

Has anyone found a way to automate the milking/shearing of animals? I can't seem to find a condition along the lines of "milkable/shearable animals".
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:51:11 am by Urist McManiac »

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2016, 03:46:31 pm »

Do be sure to store lye in a barrel; lye in buckets isn't counted and so the job to make 1 will still repeat until you run out of ash or buckets.
I recommend a single tile storage pile next to soapmaker that just takes lye (and a barrel of course).
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

daagar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2016, 05:39:45 pm »

I may simply need to re-read this thread if it was already answered, but I'm not understanding how to get the manager to use all the workshops available to it. For example, I have two mason workshops. I have an order to keep 10 doors on hand, checked daily (poor example... bear with me) at a rate of <10 per order. I'm not tying the job to a specific workshop, and no dwarves are assigned specifically (and I have more than one mason).

Let's say I use up all the doors available before the next check, so I need to restock all 10. I would expect orders to be created at _both_ workshops since each individual order is <10. What I see in practice however is that orders will only be given to a single workshop. The other workshop sits idle, and my door production gets backed up. Is this expected, or is there a way to spread the work out? I'd even be okay with the check causing both masons to start working even if the result was more than my desired limit (ie., I have the order set to 7 doors, and both mason's start plugging away and I end up with 14).

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2016, 08:22:58 pm »

My current understanding is that once the work order is accepted, 1 mason is designated (to 1 workshop) to make your 10x door task & they will continue to do that task until the order is satisfied. If, however, the total order number is /decreased/ (to eg 1), that will assign any available mason to any available 'shop to produce 1 door.. until the desired amount (10 doors) is reached. Sadly I haven't yet found a way to change the initial quantity order :(

OK, the assorted masons are only making 1 door per day, but they could be doing other things too (eg chairs, tables, coffins etc) when they've finished their door, once you set up the orders. Therefore, for a continuous stock of <item> it would seem to be best policy to set the appropriate work order to a low quantity (eg 1 or 2) daily, & adjust potential amounts (ie totals) later.

Ofc, if you want x amount of <item> created regularly by a specific worker, then use your method (possibly combined with workshop profiles) :)

I /think/ I've got that right; can anyone with more experience with the new management work orders correct me?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11