Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: DF v.43 Work orders questions and suggestions  (Read 90721 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v.43 Work orders questions and suggestions
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2016, 01:32:45 pm »

Yeah but even then you can just as easily setup orders with somewhat large limits (like 10 or 20) and just let it run indefinitely.

argh226

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2016, 11:21:32 am »

I have an issue with Lye.  I want to keep 5, so I used "available is less than 5".

However Im at 28 and it still "satisfied for next check".

I start to believe its related to bucket vs barrel of some sort...

Anyone had this issue?

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2016, 11:27:08 am »

How many are you making per job action?

argh226

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2016, 12:01:17 pm »

How many are you making per job action?

1 at a time

argh226

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2016, 02:32:35 pm »

It appears that it doesnt count it when being in a bucket while it does in the barrel...

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2016, 03:26:29 am »

I bet that will be the case with milk in buckets in barrels too...  Good to know!  Thanks for finding it out :-)

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2016, 09:07:31 am »

Going from memory here, cause I haven't started one in my current fort, but I think I used 'make lye' when there was no soap as the trigger to produce soap.

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2016, 07:45:11 pm »

Possibly the other way around: Lye is required to make soap; however the buckets/barrels issue may be relevant here: traders (or initial start) may provide barrels of lye but buckets (of lye) is what the workshop needs.. if your dwarves can't fill the buckets from the barrels then you're stuffed until you make more buckets & a lye (ashery?) shop (plus associated production, natch) with the relevant dwarf producing stuff..

@Argh: try setting the order to an absolute value rather than a limit (eg 'make 1 lye per day, regardless') then limit its production. You may need to delete the existing order & allow a few ticks to pass, then recreate it rather than simply amending the original order.. plus don't forget about order priorities! ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:08:08 pm by Snafu »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2016, 08:52:50 pm »

I can verify that make lye with a limit *does* work without barrels.  I haven't tried it with barrels because I can't imagine a situation where I would need more than 5 buckets of lye at a time.  Usually I make my rooms for my workshops 5x5.  This leaves 16 free tiles around the outside of the worshop.  I designate this as one or more stockpiles.  For the soap workshop, I have half of the tiles hold tallow and half of the tiles hold lye.  This gives you 8 tiles each.  Usually I have a huge surplus of tallow, so I need another stockpile somewhere for the overflow.  Not much you can do with it other than sell it.  I also have a similar stockpile arrangement around my kitchen, and I have a couple of tiles that will allow tallow, so I end up with some tallow in my roasts.  But it's always too much...

Having said all that, I no longer use barrels/pots for any food other than meat, fish, and booze.  Too many bugs/problems.  Also, there is no need because dwarfs need so little food that you only need tiny stockpiles.  If you are automating it with the manager, they will keep making what they need over time.  I might experiment with putting tallow in pots, though... it would be convenient since there is always too much of it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2016, 01:21:36 am »

Well, you can use soap as building material. Not very efficient, but does provide renewable source of white colour. Plus there's something amusing about soap castles :P

Though even then there's only so much you need to build.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2016, 04:56:41 am »

I have an issue with Lye.  I want to keep 5, so I used "available is less than 5".

I ran into this issue too as it turns out.  And it's not to do with barrels.  I'm sure this worked in a previous version, but it doesn't now.

The problem is that the 'p'roducts condition gives you 'lye', but what you really want is 'lye-containing item'.  You can check by looking at the 'r'eagent condition for soap.  The *real* nasty thing is that 'lye-containing-item' does *not* exist in traits, except if you are making soap :-P  I've been trying to find a way to coerce it, but it looks unfixable.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2017, 01:00:45 pm »

I forget where I saw this, I've even gone back through this thread and either it's not from here or I missed it.  So this isn't an original idea, but it works very well for clothing and I wanted to share it here.  My entire clothing output is running this way and it's been running for several in-game years without any apparent issues (including hoarding).

At clothier's shop:
Make Ramie Shoe (1)
    checked daily
    Amount of unused ramie cloth available is greater than 10
    Amount of shoes available is exactly 0
Repeat for other nine articles of clothing - socks, gloves, mittens, trousers, cap, hood, cloak, robe*, & dress*

The fortress has no clothing stockpiles and every dwarf has a cabinet.  Even after running for several years, the clothing supply seems stable.  E.g. with 40 dwarves they own 57 trousers, 66 pair gloves, 62 pair shoes.  There is a few XclothingX, and more xclothingx, but no XXclothingXX and by the age of the fortress there should be, so I think it's being disposed of properly.

If anyone knows where I saw this plan originally I'll link it on the front page.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2017, 01:51:21 am »

I've noticed when I'm setting empty container requirements for my brewing orders, there seem to be two "Food storage items" traits. Only the second one is enabled by default, resulting in "empty food storage items". If I enable the first instead, it results in "food storage items" condition, "empty" trait is hidden from the result, even though it's still enabled.

What's the difference between the two anyway? I can't seem to find a job where auto-generated conditions would include the first variant of "food storage" trait.
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2017, 09:09:35 am »

I just did some testing in my current fort and I can't tell a difference other than the "empty" quirk that you pointed out.  Moreover, it appears that "empty" is redundant for both conditions.  For my tests, there were the same number of items counted, i.e. "at most 11" was not satisfied while "at most 12" was satisfied on all tests.  I checked both conditions on:

large rock pots; empty large rock pots; large pots; empty large pots; items; empty items.

Some notes:
All of the large pots were rock, so there may be a hidden material difference.  I find it unlikely though.
There are no empty barrels in the fort, so that may be a difference.
There are empty jugs and buckets lying around, so those can be ruled out as a difference.
There are empty backpacks in bins, but if buckets and jugs aren't included it doesn't seem reasonable that backpacks would be.
There is no milk, much less milk in buckets in pots, so that could possibly be a difference.
There is no lye, though I can't imagine that could be important since buckets don't appear to be included in either count.
My suspicion is that it's an accidental redundancy, possibly from some ancient redesign of the tag.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2017, 01:00:04 pm »

Just confirming, but there's no way to use work orders at a clothier's to make 10 shirts if there are less than 10 shirts, is there?

(Amount of items is literally all items, right, not the item being produced - so I have to select a specific item if I want it to trigger on that item, and shirts/dresses/etc... aren't available to choose).
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11