Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: DF v.43 Work orders questions and suggestions  (Read 90728 times)

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF v.43 Work orders questions and suggestions
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2017, 04:29:11 pm »

Just confirming, but there's no way to use work orders at a clothier's to make 10 shirts if there are less than 10 shirts, is there?

(Amount of items is literally all items, right, not the item being produced - so I have to select a specific item if I want it to trigger on that item, and shirts/dresses/etc... aren't available to choose).

Just put in a condition based on (p)roducts and it'll use whatever you're making as the limiter, shirts, dresses, whatever, etc.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2017, 06:12:50 pm »

Just confirming, but there's no way to use work orders at a clothier's to make 10 shirts if there are less than 10 shirts, is there?

(Amount of items is literally all items, right, not the item being produced - so I have to select a specific item if I want it to trigger on that item, and shirts/dresses/etc... aren't available to choose).

Yes, you can specify clothing.  If you'll look about three posts above yours I posted a description of how to produce clothing on demand.  You would just want to modify the amount and the start condition.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2017, 01:17:29 am »

'q' up a task.  Select 'shirt' (or dress).  Select the number you want (I suggest 1 because you almost never need to make more than 1 shirt a day). Optionally press 'd' and select the type of cloth. Then press 'c' for conditions.  Press 'p' for products.  It will say 'at most 10 shirts'.

Of course your civ must be capable of making said item.  Also be away that this will be at most 10 "available" shirts, so it will make that many for your stockpile.  That's really more than you need. I would set it to at most 3.  Also, don't put them in bins unless you want to make new shirts every time someone takes a damn shirt out of the bin (making them all "unavailable").

argh226

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2017, 08:58:11 am »

I have an issue with Lye.  I want to keep 5, so I used "available is less than 5".

I ran into this issue too as it turns out.  And it's not to do with barrels.  I'm sure this worked in a previous version, but it doesn't now.

The problem is that the 'p'roducts condition gives you 'lye', but what you really want is 'lye-containing item'.  You can check by looking at the 'r'eagent condition for soap.  The *real* nasty thing is that 'lye-containing-item' does *not* exist in traits, except if you are making soap :-P  I've been trying to find a way to coerce it, but it looks unfixable.

It might just be easier to simply get a job of x amount of lye that you do manually every so often...

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2017, 08:35:44 pm »

i hope dfhack keeps their automation plugin though, its a lot better than the vanilla one by what ive read
IMO they both have advantages & disadvantages over each other: eg the new vanilla automation can be fine-tuned in lots of ways that the blunt tool of DFH can't (I expect its missing dependencies will be addressed eventually).. but the DFH tool can be used as-is without requiring more micro, albeit with a lot less precision

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2017, 02:32:18 am »

Anyone know if there is a way to export and import work orders? I seem to largely be setting up the same set of orders every time I start a new fortress and it takes a lot of work.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2017, 05:00:32 am »

Anyone know if there is a way to export and import work orders? I seem to largely be setting up the same set of orders every time I start a new fortress and it takes a lot of work.
If DFHack doesn't have way to import/export workorders, you could make a macro.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2017, 05:49:29 pm »

I did some !!SCIENCE!! with the job manager and found out some stuff so figured this wouldn't be the worst place to post it. When counting items as some have informed me it doesn't count forbidden items nor does it count things built into stuff. Besides that though and somewhat unexpected for me it doesn't count owned items. I was expecting clothes being worn maybe not counting but just owning a thing removes it from the count. Here is a video were I tested it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

fbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2017, 10:33:32 am »

Now knowing factorio I want to try out some automation in DF with the next fort. I made some comparison of the vanilla work orders and DFhacks workflow/stockflow plugins. Please correct me if I missed something:

workflow
   ⁃   can specify quality level
   ⁃   specify tolerance (gap) to implement hysteresis for unsuspending jobs
   ⁃   announcement when it starts/stops production does not work via the manager, therefore no announcements
   ⁃   production goal workshop specific. Distribution among different workshops must be done manually
   ⁃   possible to import/export constraints
   +  Can automate jobs without details that are modified by gui/job-material, i.e. maintain stock of specific booze
   ⁃   respect stockpile links?

work orders
   ⁃   can have conditions depending on the status of other work orders
   ⁃   choose if an order should be workshop specific
   ⁃   announcement when order is finished
   ⁃   impossible to import/export work orders via macro or dfhack plugin
   ⁃   does not respect stockpile links

stockflow
   ⁃   respect stockpile links? (probably not cause its using the manager)
   ⁃   announcement when order is finished
   ⁃   impossible to import/export settings
   +  does not respect job-material

It seems every approach still has its benefits.

stockflow in fast mode should be more like the kanban system mentioned earlier to implement just-in-time production with small inventories and hence no need for bins. That's why I think I will give the stockflow a try.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:37:08 am by fbo »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2017, 04:57:40 pm »

Under workflow:
"does not work via the manager, therefore no announcements"
It makes an announcement when it starts/stops production.
"workshop specific. Distribution among different workshops must be done manually"
Mostly correct - it is production goal specific. If you have a constraint for any trousers, it's going to affect both leatherworker's and clothier's repeating "make trousers" job.

Don't recall if it takes links into account for stocks, I'd test to make sure. I'd guess no, though, as there's not much point in looking in links only for production goals (it does take clothes being used as unavailable, though).

You didn't mention it, but under workflow:
"Can automate jobs without details that are modified by gui/job-material, i.e. maintain stock of specific booze"

For work orders:
"impossible to import/export work orders"
You can import/export by using a macro, or by using the orders plugin in dfhack-43.05-r2. (Earlier versions are still going to support Manager order macros and manager macro generator)

Tbh I wish stockflow/manager would respect job-material. Alas.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:00:47 pm by Fleeting Frames »

fbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2017, 03:34:02 am »

thx for pointing out the orders plugin :)
I edited my post accordingly.

lestmurphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2017, 10:34:39 pm »

Maybe people already know this, but I figured out how to limit the amount of flour and sugar milled at the mill stone and the quern.

q on the Quern
Shift+P to enter workorders
right arrow to work orders
q for a new work order
10 (doesn't matter here so long as it's not infinity)
c to enter into conditions
a to add item conditions
i for item type
search and choose POWDER
m for item material
search and choose DWARVEN WHEAT FLOUR or DWARVEN SUGAR
t for item traits
go down to "Cookable items."
select and make it green
item in your condition should read "cookable dwarven wheat flour" or cookable dwarven sugar"
q to set inequality to "at most"
n to set the maximum number of the given powder in your fort

I still can't figure our how to do dimple dye. But if I figure it out, I'll post.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2018, 11:41:43 pm »

Looking for some help on perpetual orders and hiding completion spam. I'm using the latest version of the Lazy Newb Pack.

Perpetual orders, from the first post, don't cancel unless resources run out but, they'll pop back up, should conditions be met, resulting in more error spam. I don't want to hide all cancellation spam cause, there's some useful info in there some times but, it can be hard to dig out of order spam. Unless this has changed recently or part of DFHack to fix?

The best way I found out to do perpetual orders that 'end' when the right conditions arise, is to set a job to be done once but, then I get tons of completion spam. Is there any way to hide the completion spam in a setup like this? I don't want to queue 10, just to delay it a little bit, cause some of the values are only 2-4 of an available empty product.

Or are we waiting on ToadyOne to give the order system some love before this is all do-able?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2018, 05:10:58 am »

Looking for some help on perpetual orders and hiding completion spam.
Don't use perpetual. Use a fixed quantity and set it to repeat. Perpetual orders never stop, even when you run out of resources.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2018, 05:25:52 am »

Looking for some help on perpetual orders and hiding completion spam.
Don't use perpetual. Use a fixed quantity and set it to repeat. Perpetual orders never stop, even when you run out of resources.
Do you know if that'll change or is he focused on other stuff as per usual right now instead of UI stuff?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11