Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: DF v.43 Work orders questions and suggestions  (Read 90742 times)

boquaz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF v.43 Work orders questions and suggestions
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2018, 11:27:48 am »

Is there a way to distinguish "large armor" from "normal armor" in work order conditions?  I've got just about my entire economy automated, I'd rather not manage my large armor stocks by hand.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2018, 05:35:27 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is :-(

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2018, 11:00:06 am »

They need new clothes about every two years to avoid bad thoughts, so I just make enough large stuff for half the humans once a year.

Armour only wears out in fights, but if you set an order to produce a full set or two at a specific workshop each year, forbid it doing anything else, and take from that workshop to a special armour pile that doesn't take from everywhere, you could forbid the workshop to block the order as needed and sell off or melt whatever bits end up being extra.

Shouldn't need checked more than every 5 years or so, give or take for the extra stuff eventually blocking your regular make armour orders.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2018, 02:44:38 am »

There's the "nearby" condition if you don't mind adding walking distance and another forging/clothing production complex.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2018, 03:21:55 am »

I hadn't realised there was "nearby".  How far away is "nearby"?  A quick google search came up with the number "20 tiles", but had no justification for it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2018, 06:31:14 am »

It's by default butchery condition. And never mind, in testing doesn't seem to work for stuff.

||

Here, each of the workshops see the "nearby log", being 20, 40 and 47 tiles away. After the last one, I built a wood furnace on far corner of the 3x3 embark on a different z-level, and...

||

||

This kept happening even after I linked the furnace to coins stockpile and restriced it with a burrow.

(Well, logs in minecarts didn't count though I don't see much use for that. You could potentially use the weight difference to separate large armour from normal into different stockpile, I guess.)

There's also the option of producing size 65 (hyena an cougar men) armour which both humans and dwarves can wield, but bit too late for that now I guess.

(all done on 44.09)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 06:35:10 am by Fleeting Frames »

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2019, 07:58:20 am »

Is there a way to have a condition for rock coffers without counting bags? A trait?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2019, 01:23:10 pm »

Is there a way to have a condition for rock coffers without counting bags? A trait?
Two ways, "hard boxes and bags" which will include wood chests, or if your order is "Construct Rock Coffer" then use the 'p'roduct option and you will get a specific "rock coffers" (this probably is the only way to get "rock coffers" as the item in the conditions).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2019, 02:12:25 pm »

Is there a way to have bags without chests?  There's a "BAG_ITEM producing item" trait, but no actual bag item trait I can find.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2019, 09:03:29 pm »

Easiest way is to specify the material.  When I'm making large chains of of things that use bags, I often use a different material bag for each (pig tail cloth for one, rope reed cloth for another, etc).  A better (but slightly more effort) way is to sew images on all of your bags and then you can use the "with sewn image" condition.  You *might* be able to do a "without sewn image", but it's been ages since I played DF and I don't have any saved games to try it out.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2019, 01:32:12 am »

You *might* be able to do a "without sewn image", but it's been ages since I played DF and I don't have any saved games to try it out.
"Sewn-imageless"
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2020, 05:33:42 pm »

Given that the Steam release is now underway,
It would be nice to include the recipes from this thread in the Wiki (https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Manager#Work_orders)

Even better would be if we could agree on one or two basic recipes for each workshop and have them included (but inactive) in the game, so that you could activate them to automate stuff.

Also, does anyone have new cool automation chains?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2020, 06:56:19 pm »

It would be nice to include the recipes from this thread in the Wiki (https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Manager#Work_orders)

Even better would be if we could agree on one or two basic recipes for each workshop and have them included (but inactive) in the game, so that you could activate them to automate stuff.

Recipes?
Not sure if you linked to the wrong thread there or if it changed since you posted but that article currently explains how to use the manager and not much else.

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2020, 04:34:59 am »

Recipes?
Not sure if you linked to the wrong thread there or if it changed since you posted but that article currently explains how to use the manager and not much else.

That's exactly my point, we should take some recipes from THIS thread on the forums and put there on the wiki.
I'm not sure on what the protocol for doing this is that's why I didn't do it myself (yet).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2020, 04:56:01 am »

Recipes?

That's exactly my point, we should take some recipes from THIS thread on the forums and put there on the wiki.
I'm not sure on what the protocol for doing this is that's why I didn't do it myself (yet).
Ah, sorry! I see.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]