Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Lazy Mac Pack (v0.47.05)  (Read 218509 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lazy Mac Pack (v0.47.05)
« on: May 22, 2016, 09:31:38 am »

A Lazy Newb Pack for Mac.

Why you need this: makes it easy to use and switch graphics packs with Dwarf Fortress without corrupting your game.

Different versions available:

download
link
download
link
pack name:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Dwarf Fortress Version:
|
v0.47.05
|
v0.47.05
|
download size:
|
146.6 MB
|
72.4 MB
|
SoundSense-RS:
|
Yes
|
Yes
|
Dwarf Therapist:
|
OSX 10.13+
|
OSX 10.13+
|
DFHack:
|
Yes
|
No
|
TWBT:
|
Yes
|
No
|

System requirements:
  • The above packs require Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or later to run.

Credits:

Spoiler: Color palettes: (click to show/hide)

Protect that Toady guy.

He's a national treasure!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:08:53 am by jecowa »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [lite] Lazy Mac Pack (v0.43.02)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 07:47:31 am »

Update: Added a pack for users running Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard or earlier.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [lite] Lazy Mac Pack (v0.43.03)
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:41:56 am »

Updated for Dwarf Fortress v0.43.03. Added SoundSense and Geoduck graphics.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:49:08 am by jecowa »

drluv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 01:58:44 pm »

Hi there,

first off, thanks for maintaining the lazy mac pack! With 43.03 and this version I got some strange graphic glitch: Each tile has a line at the bottom, this causes scanlines, doesn't matter which gfx pack I use, scanlines everywhere. Is this some common phenomenon, or is it just me?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 08:22:58 pm »

Hi there,

first off, thanks for maintaining the lazy mac pack! With 43.03 and this version I got some strange graphic glitch: Each tile has a line at the bottom, this causes scanlines, doesn't matter which gfx pack I use, scanlines everywhere. Is this some common phenomenon, or is it just me?

That doesn't sound very good. It's not happening to me. Does this happen in older versions of Dwarf Fortress too?

Could it be an issue with scaling down the tileset? If I make the game window really small, I can see some lines in the sky. Does it look like this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If so, are you maybe using the 2015 MacBook (the one with only has a single USB 3 type C port)? That's the only Mac has to scale down the 16x16 tilesets. It would be nice if Dwarfort was a Retina-friendly app. Grim Fortress, Jolly Bastion, and Taffer 10x10 don't need to be scaled down by the 2015 MacBook.

Are the scan lines moving? If so, turning on VSync in the "init.txt" file might possibly help with this.

Lazy Mac Pack/df_osx_v0.43.02/data/init/init.txt
It might be good to Quit Dwarf Fortress and the LNP first.
In the "Lazy Mac Pack" folder, open the "df_osx_v0.43.02" folder, and then the "data" folder, then the "init", and then open "init.txt" in TextEdit.

You will find a line that says [VSYNC:NO]. Change that line to [VSYNC:YES] and Save.

I'd like to know how this goes if you get it fixed or not.

drluv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 01:55:11 pm »

Hi, thanks for all your help. I got a late 2013 macbook pro.

I've downloaded the space-sense-pack from you (http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12093) and it didn't work because of some problems with freetype. i've resolved this on console with:

brew reinstall freetype --universal

and it worked without problem and without graphical issues. with the pack it's still the same (older versions work though and i've never had a problems in years...). The lines are not moving and are at the bottom of every tile. VSYNC, or setting the renderer from 2d to standard etc. wont work...

Here is a screenshot:

thanks again for your effort!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 07:45:09 am »

Hi, thanks for all your help. I got a late 2013 macbook pro.

I've downloaded the space-sense-pack from you (http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12093) and it didn't work because of some problems with freetype. i've resolved this on console with:

brew reinstall freetype --universal

and it worked without problem and without graphical issues. with the pack it's still the same (older versions work though and i've never had a problems in years...). The lines are not moving and are at the bottom of every tile. VSYNC, or setting the renderer from 2d to standard etc. wont work...

Here is a screenshot:

thanks again for your effort!

Thanks for the solution! That explains why upgrading XQuartz fixes the game for some users. (XQuartz includes freetype.) According to Wikipedia, Apple stopped pre-installing XQuartz with the introduction of Mountain Lion.

Both packs are updated to include freetype now. It's only an extra 1.7 MB. Thanks for the help!

drluv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 09:32:30 am »

While the lite lite Pack (with the pre installed spacefox tilesets) is working, the lazy newb pack is still not working for me. I assume it has something to do with the tilesets, vanilla works perfectly. I further assume it has something to do with my configuration on my rig... so: I'll simply wait for the next version and. spacefox is the tileset of my choice, so I will stick with the other client :) thanks again.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 05:10:05 pm »

While the lite lite Pack (with the pre installed spacefox tilesets) is working, the lazy newb pack is still not working for me. I assume it has something to do with the tilesets, vanilla works perfectly. I further assume it has something to do with my configuration on my rig... so: I'll simply wait for the next version and. spacefox is the tileset of my choice, so I will stick with the other client :) thanks again.

What version of Mac OS X are you using?

kudakeru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 01:35:26 pm »

I'm having the same issue on an MBP running 10.11.5 with Xquartz 2.7.9. Turning on vsync got rid of the scanlines in the menu sections, but the tiles still look odd with borders.

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 03:41:13 pm »

I'm having the same issue on an MBP running 10.11.5 with Xquartz 2.7.9. Turning on vsync got rid of the scanlines in the menu sections, but the tiles still look odd with borders.

Are you running v0.43.03-b of the Lazy Mac Pack? Have you tried testing to see if the  SST Mac Pack version works on your system? (It has different versions of a couple SDL libraries that seem to be a little more compatible.)

I don't have a 10.11 machine to test on at the moment, so I'd appreciate it if you let me know what happens.

kudakeru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 04:12:29 pm »

Just double-checked, and yes this is with 43.03-b. Here's a screenshot with the SST pack, definitely looks better.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 04:34:12 pm »

Just double-checked, and yes this is with 43.03-b. Here's a screenshot with the SST pack, definitely looks better.

Thank you, kudakeru! The SST pack has older versions of two of the SDL libraries. I'm surprised it's the older versions that work. I thought I had heard that the older versions caused problems.

Version 0.43.03-c of the Lazy Mac Pack should fix this issue. Or you can fix it by replacing the "lib" folder in the Lazy Mac Pack 0.43.03-b with the one from the STT pack.

kudakeru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 05:22:48 pm »

Looking good with version c. Thanks for the quick fix!

drluv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 03:07:25 pm »

Hi there and sorry for the late reply: it is working with the Version C now. Thanks! Oh, and I'm on osX 10.11.5
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18