Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: Lazy Mac Pack (v0.47.05)  (Read 223028 times)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Mac Pack (v0.47.05)
« Reply #210 on: April 04, 2021, 12:13:51 pm »

I'm trying to gather more information for this bug report - posting here in hopes that it will reach people running Big Sur.

Has anyone been able to run adventure mode successfully on Big Sur (ideally 11.2+)? If so, are you using an Intel or ARM machine?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 04, 2021, 10:03:18 pm »

I'm on a MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2017, 3.1GHz, Intel, 8GB memory, only one owner, etc. running Big Sur. I have a vanilla version of 4705 Dwarf Fortress downloaded 28Jan2021. Logged in to Adventure Mode about an hour ago to see what I could see... No worries. I don't know how to do much, as I always play Fortress, and this was my first foray into Adventure Mode in years, but I was able to wander about, listen to other dorfs, ascend to the surface, walk around up there, etc. Worked just as well as Fortress.

Logged in to "about this mac" to find out the specs, and realised I wasn't up to the latest OS, I was running Big Sur 11.2.2, with the newer version downloaded but not restarted and activated. So I restarted the machine, installed 11.2.3, and went back into the game... Adventure Mode still runs fine to my limited understanding of how Adventure Mode works.

Hope this helps?

Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 04, 2021, 10:25:32 pm »

Yep, that helps, thanks for the detailed information! I'll update the bug report accordingly; since you're running on an Intel machine, that doesn't rule out ARM issues yet, but it's still good to know.

I'm still curious whether anyone on an ARM/M1 machine has experienced issues with adventure mode. Really the main question I'm looking for an answer to is "are you able to start a game and walk around a bit?".

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 04, 2021, 10:39:40 pm »

I'm trying to gather more information for this bug report - posting here in hopes that it will reach people running Big Sur.

That bug report is good to see. I didn't realize that Dwarf Fortress worked at all on M1 Macs running macOS versions later than Big Sur v11.0. I had heard macOS v11.1 broke support for Dwarf Fortress and that the macOS v11.2-beta didn't do anything to help.

And still a month ago, someone reported that it crashes during world gen on macOS v11.2.2 on an M1 Mac.

I'm kind of suspicious of the report that 11.1 broke Dwarf Fortress support for M1 Macs now. Maybe it has always been only partially-supported and that user just got lucky in 11.0 and unlucky on 11.1 and 11.2-beta.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 10:45:24 pm by jecowa »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2021, 05:25:30 am »

Yeah, I had so many regrets after updating to Big Sur, and Dwarf Fortress was definitely one of them. The 2D/3D problem was all that I needed to fix thank Armok... It took me new hardware to get my HDMI compatability back which was a completely different issue also caused by Big Sur. I've been using AppleMacs for the last 35 or so years, you'd think I'd know better by now.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 07, 2021, 06:40:23 pm »

It keeps crashing MYD82LL/A macOS 11.2.3 with 8 GB when creating a world with larger setting. I can do largest world size if i use the shortest history. Seems to crash at 9 years.  Tried several times to generate the largest world. Using Print_Mode: Standard, of course. Doesn't even launch without Print_Mode: Standard.

With my DFHack + Meph install, though, it has never crashed. Can generate Largest worlds with at least 200 year histories. I tested both Adventure Mode and Fortress mode under DFHack + Meph. Seems kind of odd. I'll test Adventure and Fortress in vanilla after finishing this timed test.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 07, 2021, 07:26:35 pm »

Took 27 minutes from the start to the year 303. Then 13 more minutes to get to the year 400. Then 15 more minutes to get to the year 500. The machine is mildly warm– not hot at all. Opening Activity Monitor, dwarfort.exe seems to be maxing out one of the cores, and is registering at 101.4 to 101.7% CPU usage. I think that means it's not throttling itself to stay the cool.

Anything else that needs testing on an M1 Air or M1 MBP?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 07, 2021, 08:38:36 pm »

So it sounds like adventure mode and small worldgens both work for you on an M1 machine, yes? What was your alternative to "DFHack + Meph"?
Thanks for the data points, by the way!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 07, 2021, 09:53:43 pm »

I tried Adventure Mode in vanilla. It let me customize character but then crashes when I got to where I was supposed to start playing. DFHack seems to let it work. I'm wondering if it's the SDL included with DFHack or some other library that DFHacj is using that is more current than what vanilla includes.

Maybe I'll try swapping libraries when I get another go on an M1 laptop.

Maybe that other user uses DFHack+TWBT for improved graphics in Fortress Mode, but doesn't use either for Adventure Mode since he only uses DFHack to get TWBT, and TWBT isn't so hot in Adventure Mode.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 10:01:08 pm by jecowa »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 07, 2021, 11:27:37 pm »

Weird, DFHack doesn't replace any SDL libraries on macOS (it only replaces SDL.dll on Windows). It does upgrade libstdc++, though (but that's because hack/libstdc++.6.dylib takes priority over libs/libstdc++.6.dylib). Does vanilla DF + unmodified DFHack work better than just vanilla DF? That could help narrow things down.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 08, 2021, 06:22:19 am »

My plan is to test vanilla with DFHack's libstdc++.6.dylib, and if that doesn't work, then test will full DFHack, and if that doesn't work, install TWBT.

This might be my last chance to test for a while if there's something else you'd like me to do on it.

If the libstdc doesn't fix it, but full DFHack does, what would you remove from DFHack to try to isolate the magic element?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 08, 2021, 05:42:25 pm »

If the libstdc doesn't fix it, but full DFHack does, what would you remove from DFHack to try to isolate the magic element?
I don't think there could possibly be another "magic element" other than libstdc++. Any instability at that point would lead me to suspect intermittent DF issues.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 08, 2021, 06:24:57 pm »

This is really weird. Neither the Lbstdc++ nor DFHack will allow me to generate even a pocket world with short history. The pocket world did the best (first tries were with largest world). pocket world only went to 26 years. i'll do twbt tests now

It's TWBT. It needs TWBT to work. I don't know what to do now.

Also, TWBT is required for Adventure Mode, but Fortress Mode works with vanilla.

Just to be clear, TWBT is required to generate a world on an M1 running 11.2.3 without a high chance of crash. I'm on an Intel machine also on 11.2.3, and it does not have the need for DFHack, TWBT, or the special build of libstdc++ from DFHack for either creating a world or playing Adventure Mode

Also clement's experimental Qt5.9.9 build of Dwarf Therapist seems to work fine on macOS Catalina 11.2.3 on both Intel and Apple CPUs as far as I can test without an admin password.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 06:57:59 pm by jecowa »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 08, 2021, 09:42:18 pm »

What does Adventure Mode have in common with ~years 5-50 of Creating a New World that could cause a freeze/crash that TWBT can prevent?

Could this be like the iOS bug that would cause phones to brick if they tried to render a particular text/emoji character?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 09:45:01 pm by jecowa »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 09, 2021, 09:12:41 am »

It's TWBT. It needs TWBT to work. I don't know what to do now.

Also, TWBT is required for Adventure Mode, but Fortress Mode works with vanilla.

Just to be clear, TWBT is required to generate a world on an M1 running 11.2.3 without a high chance of crash.

What does Adventure Mode have in common with ~years 5-50 of Creating a New World that could cause a freeze/crash that TWBT can prevent?

As far as I'm concerned: nothing at all. This isn't something TWBT can prevent. I'm suspecting an issue that occurs randomly (not too uncommon with DF) which becomes harder to reproduce with certain combinations of shared objects (either libraries or plugins) loaded.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18