Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Lazy Mac Pack (v0.47.05)  (Read 218846 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Mac Pack (v0.44.03/04)
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2018, 11:28:54 pm »

Barebones pack is updated for 0.44.04. It includes some creature graphics optimizations in Ironhand, Obsidian, Phoebus, Spacefox, and especially Mayday. Spacefox also has some new human graphics for the 0.44 professions contributed by aikoncwd.

Also it now includes the Retina DisplayManager app that allows Retina displays users to play at native resolution in order to run higher-resolution graphics packs. (Note that it's not especially helpful for running 16x graphics packs.)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Mac Pack (v0.44.05)
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2018, 01:17:25 pm »

All packs are updated to Dwarf Fortress v0.44.05. The pack with DFHack includes creature transparency in a bunch of graphics packs now.

Edit: Sorry, the Dwarf Therapist layout is messed up in the DFHack Lazy Mac Pack. I'm uploading an update right now. The fixed version will be "Lazy Mac Pack v0.44.05-DFHack-AlphB".

Edit 2: Dwarf Therapist has a working layout now. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:33:00 pm by jecowa »

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2018, 03:24:55 am »

Thanks for doing this.  I'm extremely impressed with how quickly it arrived this time.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2018, 10:38:56 pm »

On keyboard shortcuts:

Since "F11" is already in use by both Exposé and "Volume Down" on some keyboards, I am considering adding an secondary shortcut key for making Dwarf Fortress go into full-screen mode. Someone in another thread suggested "Option-F" for this. (Dwarf Fortress seems to be unable to use the usual "Command" key.) Would "Option-F" be a good shortcut key for going into full-screen? The "Option" key is only one key away from "Command" key, so "Option-F" not too different from the usual "Command-F" full-screen keyboard shortcut.

Also, most Mac users probably don't have Num pads. Is everyone used to and prefer pressing "Shift =" (aka "+") to scroll up through lists in Dwarf Fortress? Or do you wish this was set to simply press "=" by default?

Is it bad form to use a custom keyboard layout file as the default in a Lazy Newb Pack?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2018, 11:09:03 pm »

On keyboard shortcuts:

Since "F11" is already in use by both Exposé and "Volume Down" on some keyboards, I am considering adding an secondary shortcut key for making Dwarf Fortress go into full-screen mode. Someone in another thread suggested "Option-F" for this. (Dwarf Fortress seems to be unable to use the usual "Command" key.) Would "Option-F" be a good shortcut key for going into full-screen? The "Option" key is only one key away from "Command" key, so "Option-F" not too different from the usual "Command-F" full-screen keyboard shortcut.

Also, most Mac users probably don't have Num pads. Is everyone used to and prefer pressing "Shift =" (aka "+") to scroll up through lists in Dwarf Fortress? Or do you wish this was set to simply press "=" by default?

Is it bad form to use a custom keyboard layout file as the default in a Lazy Newb Pack?

I always map zlevel up/down to ' and /. Pressing Shift (for < and >) for such a common operation is way too much for me, and these buttons are conveniently located next to arrows and one above another, much like "up" and "down".

Previously I had a slightly different [physical] keyboard layout, and now I'm not sure, probably I'll be using = and ], or ; and . for secondary scroll - again because they're on the right, don't require Shift and better correspond to "up" and "down".

jobywalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2018, 11:53:11 pm »

I add the mapping for '=' to be in addition to '+' and add '_' (shift + -) in addition to '-' for the secondary list scrolling. This is a pretty innocuous change that I would welcome to be included in the LNP. The default layout is annoying because one requires shift while the other doesn't -- which is why the default z level changes of <,> don't bother me.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2018, 12:33:25 am »

When I move my index finger to "<" my right pinky is already on shift. I don't think pressing shift to change Z levels is a big deal either. Pressing shift to navigate the menus is a little annoying.

Previously I had a slightly different [physical] keyboard layout, and now I'm not sure, probably I'll be using = and ], or ; and . for secondary scroll - again because they're on the right, don't require Shift and better correspond to "up" and "down".

Using keys that are above/below each other is a good idea. Having them left/right of each other is a little confusing. The = and ] might be the best option for scrolling. It's not too different from the existing scroll keys, it doesn't conflict with existing keys, and when holding down shift, it still doesn't conflict with existing keys so you can use Max's idea of holding down "shift" to turn the scroll keys into page up/down keys.

Second best choice is the ' and / keys, but since / conflicts with the help key with shift held down, it couldn't use Max's page up/down idea. So maybe those using those for Z levels, like you said, is best use for them.

With ; and . for scrolling, the . is used to advance time, so that might not be a good choice.

alexchandel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2018, 02:46:16 pm »

New DFHack release!

DFHack 0.44.05-r1: https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2018, 11:12:40 pm »

Okay. DFHack Lazy Mac Pack has stable 0.44.05-r1 DFHack now.

New in this release is an Oab's graphics version of Meph 32x.
Also, it doesn't include plain Meph-lite anymore. "Meph lite" and "Meph+Vordak lite" were very similar graphics packs, especially in the lite versions (without decorative pedestals). So if you were using Meph-lite before, you will probably feel right at home in Meph+Vordak lite. Hope that's okay.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2018, 08:55:15 am »

On keyboard shortcuts:

I use "laptop" layout from your pack, since it fits Macbook keyboard perfectly.

-= is used to scroll list one by one, pressing Shift makes it scroll list by full pages (like Page Up / Page down). It makes sense to make this layout the default in Mac pack. And maybe tweak it a bit more.

As for the fullscreen key, how about Alt-Enter? It is a default fullscreen key in a bunch of other games.

[BIND:TOGGLE_FULLSCREEN:REPEAT_NOT]
[SYM:4:Enter]

I mapped it on ` initially, but I often hit it unintentionally when I try to press Esc, it was a bad idea.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:08:07 am by falcn »

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2018, 09:11:35 am »

Also, one important thing: if you lock your laptop (by closing the lid) with DF in fullscreen, then, after you'll open it, you will see Mac OS password prompt, but you won't be able to type your password. DF still has keyboard focus, so you need to press your Fullsceen key before you will be able to type your password.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2018, 11:03:20 pm »

I'm glad you like the "laptop" keyboard layout. "Laptop" might not be the best name since it's helpful changes for everyone. I wish its changes would get added to the Dwarf Fortress default.

Alt-enter (aka Option-Return) sounds good as a shortcut for toggling full screen mode. I like that it uses a common full-screen key combo (unlike Option-F).

I have trouble accidentally hitting "escape" instead of "tilde" when I try to Command-` and sometimes end up hitting Command-Esc to annoyingly open Front Row instead of switching windows.

I hate it when I have trouble unlocking. Thanks for the tip. There's other things that can interfere besides Dwarf Fortress. Sometimes clicking helps and sometimes "Escape" helps. But sometimes I have to close the laptop back, wait for it to go back to sleep, then open it and try again.

alexchandel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2018, 08:22:58 pm »

If you replace DF's SDL framework with Mifki's SDL build (linked from http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9762), then macOS's native fullscreen works, and can be toggled by the usual green button.

It might be a good idea to bundle Mifki's SDL build into the Lazy Mac Pack by default, as that'll save untold noobs untold hours of trouble by fixing the fullscreen crash.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2018, 11:03:22 pm »

If you replace DF's SDL framework with Mifki's SDL build (linked from http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9762), then macOS's native fullscreen works, and can be toggled by the usual green button.

It might be a good idea to bundle Mifki's SDL build into the Lazy Mac Pack by default, as that'll save untold noobs untold hours of trouble by fixing the fullscreen crash.

That SDL allows DF to work nicely with OS X window manager, but it is not using retina resolution in fullscreen mode, unlike bundled SDL.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2018, 11:09:49 pm »

By the way, mission-control friendly non-retina fullscreen mode (green + button) works for me on vanilla SDL, just the way it works on mifki's SDL, but, at the same time, I have an option to use retina fullscreen on vanilla (F11 by default), which crashes DF on mifki's SDL.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18