Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allow stockpile designations to optionally turn off other similar stockpiles  (Read 794 times)

Dwarfpool

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

You know what QOL adjustment I would love to see? Im sure a lot of you encounter a scenario like this:

Set up a general stockpile early on. With time, you slowly create more specific stockpiles that serve various purposes throughout your fort. In this example, I will use seeds: after declaring my general stockpile to hold all food, I later make a seed stockpile near my farms. After going through the entire seed menu and specifically activating rock nuts, dimple dimple cups, and pigtails I then also have to repeat the same process but backwards with the general stockpile. I have to go through the stockpile and turn off those same seeds in the general stockpile. Repeat this same process with many other industries and inevitably, I will forget to do this entire process with every stockpile, which results in inefficient production and poorer FPS since it has to calculate multiple stockpiles for the same good unnecessarily.

My suggestion is this: allow an option when making a stockpile that turns off that good in every other stockpile. This has many applications: specific furniture stockpiles, food prep stockpiles, specific mineral stockpiles, etc.

For example, hitting Shift+Enter on a good in the stockpile menu instead of just enter turns that good "off" in every other stockpile.

What do you guys think?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

What if you just want to turn off that good in some stockpiles (for instance, if you had existing feeder stockpiles?) I think we should somehow be able to see which stockpiles accept a type of good, and disable each stockpile individually from there.

Things might get a bit difficult when materials are involved. Suppose you make a stockpile for silver war hammers, and you want to get rid of those from a general weapons stockpile. You can't really even do that without creating a separate stockpile for silver weapons excluding war hammers. This makes me think stockpiles are due for a complete overhaul.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

How about custom-defined groups of items and such? One press, and every useful seed is enabled. We could even have a new init.txt or such for sharing these custom groups.

On second thought, a macro-like storage system might work better.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

conflictensues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about custom-defined groups of items and such? One press, and every useful seed is enabled. We could even have a new init.txt or such for sharing these custom groups.

On second thought, a macro-like storage system might work better.

I ≡second≡ your ☼first☼ idea.  It seems like this could be especially useful since after the fifth or sixth overhaul most of my forts have similar designs, as do others,' probably.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

What's really the worst is when you've spent all that time selecting the goods, and then later you find out that the stockpile is nowhere big enough to fit all those goods. I'd really like to be able to repaint stockpiles instead of starting from scratch and re-linking everything.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?