Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Biggest causes of FPS Death for 4x.xx versions?  (Read 1664 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Biggest causes of FPS Death for 4x.xx versions?
« on: May 23, 2016, 03:21:03 pm »

For fun, I decided to open up some old 34.11 fortresses and compare them to how I tend to make fortresses now.

While the forts themselves were...interesting by current standards, it struck me how much better the FPS was. I had 150 dwarves + 60 or so livestock and the game was still chugging along at 100 FPS. Temperature enabled and everything.

Now my current 42.06 forts are barely reaching 60 FPS by the time we get to 110 dwarves and 60 livestock. And that's when I'm not looking at surface trees, where the FPS will dip down to the low 30s. So I know that the current trees are huge FPS killers, but is that really it? Or is the new persistent world really that taxing? Is there some other stuff going on now that hurts FPS?

If I embarked and developed in a totally treeless zone, could I mitigate most of the new early onsight FPS death? Has anyone had experience or done science about this?

(I'd rather not have this thread devolve into arguments as they tend to do, so I'd ask to refrain from that)
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest causes of FPS Death for 4x.xx versions?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 03:02:11 pm »

I'm running a I7-3770 and I have between 18 and 24 fps in a 28 year old fortress. Not very smoothly, but in the range I would have thought it to be.

I tried to wall off everything I don't need, but it did not help very much, also, I'm in heavy forested territory.

Edit : When looking at the forested parts of the map it drops down to between 12-14 fps
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 03:03:57 pm by hanni79 »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 03:37:54 pm »

Trees definitely affect the FPS when viewed, but it's unsure if they also affect general FPS (there seems to be some hickup during autumn when leaves are dropped). I had a fortress where my farms and workshops were in soil, above the aquifer, while the command and control center (levers, tavern, library, temple) was below the aquifer in stone. I had an FPS difference of about 10 between viewing the two levels, and I then decided to floor most of the soil level over, and that seemed to remove the FPS difference when viewed. It's definitely not a proof, but I suspect any greenery results in a view FPS drop.
I also had a case where I used DFHack to remove and destroy most of the webs covering the first cavern, and that gave me some 5 FPS back (when NOT viewing the cavern), up to something like 35. It was quite a lot of webs, probably 15-20K. I've since done similar web clearing in the order of 5K without any visible effect, though.
It also seems that while stockpiles block sapling maturation, they still produce the greenery slowdown.
All of the above are suspicions, and unconfirmed observations, though.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 04:30:24 pm »

I also had a case where I used DFHack to remove and destroy most of the webs covering the first cavern, and that gave me some 5 FPS back (when NOT viewing the cavern), up to something like 35.

How exactly did you do that ? My caverns are pretty much completely covered in webs, so I guess this might help me a bit as well :)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 04:50:45 pm »

In DF, press d - b -d and select the whole zone to make every spider web marked for dump, then in dfhack type :
autodump destroy

There's a dfhack script posted there to make a regular cleaning as they will respawn :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157053.msg6889186#msg6889186

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 05:36:57 pm »

Thanks a lot !

Although I found it easier to just mark them for dump in the Stockpile-menu, as my Pumpstack goes through all three cavern layers, would have been a bummer if I autodumped-destroyed them accidentally  ^^

I had a look into your other thread and will try to kill everything not immediately needed, stones and stuff I can reproduce thanks to my Obsidian caster whenever I want anyway, so I'm curious how fast I can make that fort again.