Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magic Duels Origins Black Screen problem  (Read 3963 times)

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magic Duels Origins Black Screen problem
« on: May 23, 2016, 08:58:03 pm »

I just downloaded Magic Duels Origins from wizards of the coast. Figured it was free so what would the harm be?

I can hear the music, and if I click my cursor turns into the game cursor.

The problem is, I see a black screen and nothing else.

I've googled it and tried to change from fullscreen to windowned mode in the config file and stuff like that. No luck.

Has anybody else run into this problem?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Duels Origins Black Screen problem
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 09:55:45 pm »

Are your graphics drivers up to date?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:02:36 pm »

Magic Duels is probably the worst digital representation of MTG available. Cards don't work. rules are ignored and ran over roughshod, there's no chat, frequent glitches and crashes, human opponents can pause the game and quit which locks the game into a stalemate, one huge "gameplay alteration" by the devs where the game skips your main phase if you have no sorcery speed cards in-hand, and updates are rare, inadequate, and always create more problems than they solve.

Whether it's incredible incompetence by Stainless (the devs), or deliberate underfunding and sabotage by Wizards of the Coast, the providers of the game clearly have NO intention of providing a fun, or even playable, MTG experience. It's honestly one of the sorriest games I've ever seen, there's no excuse for this poor of a product or service. Don't waste your time on Magic Duels.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 10:16:53 pm »

Oooooor just give up and mercy-kill it, that works too.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 08:23:55 pm »

Hum, well.

1 My drives seem up to date. This is literally the only program I am having issues with. All others are ok it seems.
2 It's a card game. Please don't tell me it needs a ton of graphics

Also, if this isn't a good computer game with magic cards, is there another free one that is good? I would probably just want to play against the computer. Maybe another player but that's not really needed if its a big deal.

I really don't know too much about this stuff an I'd kinda like to please .

Thank you

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 02:48:07 pm »

Go find a copy of Duel of the Planeswalkers? The older version it is, the less likely it will contain all the new obnoxious BS WotC included. I remember getting 2015 or something and being frustrated I couldn't actually build a deck.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 03:04:03 pm »

Try Hearthstone? It's the one that most likely prompted Magic Duels' switch to a F2P format. I've never played it, but it's apparently intuitive and popular, and free2play.

There's also another game on Steam: "Hex: Shards of Fate" that I've heard is so nearly identical to Magic that it got sent a CnD from Wizards. Again, never played it, but also free2play.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 04:33:55 pm »

Hum, is this free?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/what-magic-online-magic-online-products-game-info

It says to create an account so I'm thinking no?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 05:26:25 pm »

Hum, is this free?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/what-magic-online-magic-online-products-game-info

It says to create an account so I'm thinking no?

Pretty much every F2P game I've ever tried requires account registration. It's the only way they can even begin to monetize your participation. That said, a cursory google search indicates it's not really a free game so much as an online way to play MTG. Maybe this will help you.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 05:28:47 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti