Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Software and habits to organize a mod?  (Read 833 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Software and habits to organize a mod?
« on: May 25, 2016, 12:52:27 am »

I have a lot of respect for those who are able to create and maintain mods and utilities, particularly the massive ones like Genesis and Masterwork. Aside from the time, effort, and know-how required, the task of organizing and planning such a large project seems daunting.

Years ago, I released a tiny graphics set. But I wanted to try my hand at a mod or two and get into good habits - habits to help not just with DF modding, but also with other projects and creative writing I've attempted. I've had difficulty with organizing and planning such. Writing ideas down in drafts is a first step. But I wanted to ask if any of you have recommendations in terms of software and habits to help organize.

Do any of you use mind-mapping software to organize a mod project? A few years ago I played around with VUE a bit. But I never used it for much. And aside from mind-mapping, any other software you would recommend?

Software I currently use:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 01:50:37 am by Thundercraft »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Software and habits to organize a mod?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:59:10 am »

Notepad++, BeyondCompare (instead of WinMerge), Photoshop, Dreamweaver, 7zip/Winrar, VisualBasics.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 04:10:01 pm »

Textpad and post it notes

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 05:13:30 pm »

Notepad++, GIMP, WinZip for general software; DFFD and Rubble are the only DF-specific tools I use.  Keep my work in Dropbox folders for automatic backup, actual DF instances in a completely different drive to ensure I always know if I'm editing an "original" file or a disposable copy.

My incredibly bad planning document is TODO.txt in the root of my modding work folder.

As you might have guessed, NOT a professional software developer :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map