Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Work orders: Empty bags?  (Read 6963 times)

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Work orders: Empty bags?
« on: May 25, 2016, 02:20:11 pm »

Hi!
I'm really happy about the new work orders system, but there's one thing that I haven't found out yet, and that's how to make an order depend on the number of empty bags. I think boxes and bags can be told apart by the "hard" token, so it'd be really easy to make the job depend on the number of empty boxes, but I have no clue how to check for non-hard items... Another option I've found would be to check for "bags or boxes" of certain materials, but I'd of course prefer to have the work order trigger as soon as the total number of empty bags is large enough, instead of having to wait until I got enough bags made out of one material.

Is it possible at all, to have a work order check for empty bags regardless of material? If yes, how?
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Work orders: Empty bags?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 03:09:27 pm »

Add an item condition, then change the item to boxes and bags.  You can then either choose the very specific material which is probably not what you want, or change the trait to whatever it is you need.  I see 'hard items' in the list, but not soft.  But my guess is what you need is there, for example "sand-bearing items" is a choice, that should limit it to bags.  There's also "Food storage items" if you need it for seeds.  What is the usage context?  That would help.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 04:04:51 pm »

I'd like to automatize the "collect sand" labour. One of the conditions will of course be that the job should only start if not enough sand-bearing items are available, but as a second condition, to avoid labour cancellation spam, I'd like to have it only start if enough empty bags are available.
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 04:30:56 pm »

For collecting sand, hitting 'r' for reagents should automatically bring up the traits for the items you need.  All you should have to do is adjust the number, inequality, etc.  I don't know specifically for sand, I haven't been on an embark with sand in this version yet.  But it has worked consistently for most everything else I've tried - like drinks, food, threshing quarry bushes (which also requires a bag), and milling oats (needs a bag), all of which need rather specific classes of items to make.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 01:15:41 am »

Collect Sand doesn't bring up any prerequisites, but if milling oats does, I'll just try to copy that job's prerequisite denoting the bags.
Thanks a lot! I'll report back once I get time to play again.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 08:59:36 am »

Please do post it if you get one to work, I'm trying to maintain a list of useful work order recipes here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158287.0

I still don't have a glass furnace, but I looked at my work order to thresh quarry bushes.  Using the 'r' for reagents brings up "Empty bags", but I was unable to duplicate that exact item at the Clothiers to produce bags when they are low.  The closest I could get was either "empty boxes and bags"(too broad) or "empty silk boxes and bags"(too narrow).  Still, I suppose if you have a primary thread type you should be able to get at least that close.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 10:59:07 am »

Given that clothier can't produce non-cloth boxes and bags and cloth boxes are bags, perhaps setting the order just on clothier would work? (*unexperimented*)

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 11:40:49 am »

Given that clothier can't produce non-cloth boxes and bags and cloth boxes are bags, perhaps setting the order just on clothier would work? (*unexperimented*)

The work order condition isn't based on the output, so a condition for "less than 10 empty boxes and bags" at a Clothier to make silk bags will still fail if there are 10 coffers in a stockpile somewhere.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 04:02:53 pm »

Oookay, now I'm officially puzzled:
The "mill plants" job indeed brings up an "empty bag" condition if one presses "r". The "collect sand" job doesn't do that though, and it gets even more confusing if one tries to see how the "empty bag" condition of the milling job is being constructed:
It seems there is no option in the various menus (item type, material, trait) that says "bags", and if one tries to change the item type or material, the condition doesn't show the change at all (even though it then seems to request an item that's both of the newly selected type/material and a bag). The only trait that's shown as selected is the "empty item" one, by the way.

I've filed a bug report, as this behaviour seems unintended to me...

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 04:33:56 pm »

Collect sand is still a hard-coded job, whereas the mill plants has been put in the raws.  Collect sand has as a 'reagent' a zone requirement, and I don't think any such jobs have been moved to the raws yet.  So, the hard-coded job will have to change to allow for the new conditional orders.  The best you can do now is set up a specific material type of bag item and only make those types of bags to check against the conditional (because there is no generic "cloth" bag material selection - it is specific).

sionlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 08:11:50 pm »

I have discovered that the trait "Sewn-imageless" allows you to differentiate between boxes and bags. So

"empty Sewn-imageless boxes and bags"

in your condition statement will work. I use this to do a work order to maintain the number of empty bags in my fortress for various things like sand collection, seed storage, etc.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 10:57:11 pm »

Interesting find on: Sewn-imageless

For collection of sand, I use a glass furnace (parked somewhere, anywhere really) with:

Task: Collect Sand (5 or 10), restart if completed, daily
Condition: Amount of sand-bearing boxes and bags, available is "at most 150"

For creation of bags (at a leatherworks):

Task: Construct cat leather bag (5), restart if completed, daily
Condition: Amount of "empty" "cat leather" bags, available is "at most 5"
Condition: Amount of "cat leather", available is "at least 100"

I will then repeat the "Construct X leather bag" job for "dog" and "pig" and "turkey" leather.  I can also setup a job at the cloth-works for "pig tail" bags.  Between those four bag types, I always have 10-20 empty bags laying in a QSP.

But now I'm going to have to play with "Sewn-imageless" as a condition...

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 03:33:08 am »

That's a good one sionlife!  I'll use that in future (and make sure that none of my bags have sewn images :-) ).

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 07:13:30 am »

Damn that sewn-imageless one would be really useful if I didn't sew images onto everything. But I like sewing images onto everything :( So far I've just been getting by by making all my bags out of pig tail and selling off any leather ones I acquired through trade before my cloth industry was up and running.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

postfux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 09:03:49 am »

"Dyed" should also work if you like your bags this way and dont use leather ones.
Pages: [1] 2