Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Submit your boat designs.  (Read 2396 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Submit your boat designs.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 08:45:12 am »

If we limit the worldgen to 1 cavern layer, and ~30-50z from surface to SMR, we can do a 16-21 tiles embark, so that's a 4x4, 4x5, 3x6, 3x7, or even a 2x10 to maximize water front. 

The advantage of many more tiles means many more room to build ships. 

In a 1 tile embark region, 48x48 tiles is on the surface, but 10 tiles of those are unbuildable for construction (5 from edges). 
So each embark tile on water can fit 1 to 2 boats, but I would just limit that to 1 player boat construction-succession.

Magma pumpstack for obsidianizing will be less effort, and more focus on boat building.  But I think, for the sake of succession fortress speed, the first embark should use dfhack liquids to place obsidian base for the ships, but wooden constructions for the docks.

I would probably settle for a lake instead of ocean also, no FPS loss from useless ocean waves.

A nice terrifying lake will do.  :o

I'm thinking a 4x5 embark with water and land configuration:

water water water water
water water land  water
water land  land  land 
water water land  water
water water water water

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 10:22:54 am »

But waves are nice!

Can we get a save of the world, probably could extract the seed...
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 03:16:44 pm »

I have a teensy bit of free time this weekend, so I'll look for a suitable world for our amazing endevours!
...we don't actually need it to be overground either, we could do something like this:

With an underground port.
So, I'll find a perfect world, and... Who likes the underport idea?
Edit: it didn't load the posts last time 'round, so never mind. I'll do it anyway, though.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 03:20:40 pm by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 07:18:47 pm »

I request a METAL MANUFACTORY SHIP.

The back of the ship should contain waterwheels. Hooking them up to some of contraption would be extra dwarf points. The entire hull should be made of any kind of gray/black metal.

There should be furnaces/smelters/forges and mechanic shops, as well as craftsdwarf and jewelers shops.

There should be worker's quarters below, a tavern/messhall on the main deck with some kind of food/booze storage area, and a captain's cabin above that. The crew should be armed with hammers.

The only other defense should be a mechanism of some kind that fires minecarts off the sides of the ship.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 07:36:07 pm »

Not getting home tonite so I can't post the save, but I figure I could mess around with genning a few world and get a big BIG embark with 1 cavern layer, and channel out portions of the land to make harbors.

The thought also occurs that I could take a moment and produce some "submarines", by channeling a large area (deep) casting obsidian. Channeling the "sub" out of the obsidian (and hulls of surface level ships).

Technically any old spot with a cavern lake/sea could be usable and probably better. (As I lose a lot of FPS here due to having to go and pump magma from the 3rd cavern up)

The back of the ship should contain waterwheels. Hooking them up to some of contraption would be extra dwarf points. The entire hull should be made of any kind of gray/black metal.

There should be furnaces/smelters/forges and mechanic shops, as well as craftsdwarf and jewelers shops.

There should be worker's quarters below, a tavern/messhall on the main deck with some kind of food/booze storage area, and a captain's cabin above that. The crew should be armed with hammers.

The only other defense should be a mechanism of some kind that fires minecarts off the sides of the ship.

As there is consideration for making this an actual sucession fort, you might just have a chance to build it yourself. But I'll still tally it for stuff to do myself. already have a rough design for Sanctume's one (it's the full 48 long. Its huge) and was last pumping the magma up and storing it while building the frame for the first casting.

(Going to be 48 tiles long, 5 wide. 2 decks below water level, 1 level with water. Front middle (between the front 4 and aft 8 ballista) is the command deck 1 above water, (which includes a trade depot, and the "wheelhouse")

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 07:47:09 pm »

Not getting home tonite so I can't post the save, but I figure I could mess around with genning a few world and get a big BIG embark with 1 cavern layer, and channel out portions of the land to make harbors.

The thought also occurs that I could take a moment and produce some "submarines", by channeling a large area (deep) casting obsidian. Channeling the "sub" out of the obsidian (and hulls of surface level ships).

Technically any old spot with a cavern lake/sea could be usable and probably better. (As I lose a lot of FPS here due to having to go and pump magma from the 3rd cavern up)

As there is consideration for making this an actual sucession fort, you might just have a chance to build it yourself. But I'll still tally it for stuff to do myself. already have a rough design for Sanctume's one (it's the full 48 long. Its huge) and was last pumping the magma up and storing it while building the frame for the first casting.

(Going to be 48 tiles long, 5 wide. 2 decks below water level, 1 level with water. Front middle (between the front 4 and aft 8 ballista) is the command deck 1 above water, (which includes a trade depot, and the "wheelhouse")

Wow you are going all in there.

If you have magma already pumped, chuck some MAGMA FORGES and such in mine if you do build it.

I'd be down for succession.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 03:30:36 am »

If you gen a new world, increase max no of volcanoes. Embark on seaside volcano. Easy , infinite magma access.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 05:06:31 am »

If you gen a new world, increase max no of volcanoes. Embark on seaside volcano. Easy , infinite magma access.
I have some time, so i'll generate a good world... Muahahahahahahahaha?
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 10:20:37 am »

I have some time, so i'll generate a good world... Muahahahahahahahaha?

Muahahahahahahahaha confirmed.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 02:16:45 pm »

If ocean depth is a concern, fiddling with the terrain elevations is easy in dfhack. Only two places to change:

Code: [Select]
df.global.world.world_data.region_details[0].elevation[x][y]
df.global.world.world_data.region_details[0].elevation2[x][y]

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 01:31:09 am »

What?... Oh, wait, YES, i was supposed to do this... Expect it done... By friday or so.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2016, 12:48:53 am »

I have a world. The south is full of (i presume angry since all the dwarves down there are dead) elves. everyone else is in the north. using my rusty world painter skills i made a narrow land bridge going between the two landmasses. that's us. i shall embark, and then post the save.
edit: it's not narrow enough. give me a minute...
k' fixed. will re - gen world.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:53:18 am by Imic »
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 [2]