Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Submit your boat designs.  (Read 2382 times)

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Submit your boat designs.
« on: May 25, 2016, 09:39:06 pm »

Not really a community fortress, but i figure this is probably the best forum.

Tldr
Building a harbor to fill with assorted boats. Looking for other people's suggestions for boat designs. Purely for lulz.

Today while genning world, i came across an interesting combination of factors.
On a 5x5 embark, i managed to get a lake, with a river, that leads to an ocean.
I like interesting geography so i figured this might be a nice place to mess around. Upon checking the lists of dwarf nations though, i found one on the other side of the world called the lone ship. And i couldnt resist. Interestingly enough, the lone ship were the only sentients on the tiny continent too.
So my RP is that the group of dwarves was sent out to secure an areaon the mainland for their dwarves to come.
But going to dill the lake and ocean with boats.
have about 5 layouts planned already after my last runins with shipmaking.
Thus my first "fort" here is going to be a 5x14 ship (3x12 usable tiles in the hull, plus the surface, and maybe an upper deck to one end) mad mostly of wood.
From there, aside from the tavern and such, everything is going to be on the water.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Submit your boat designs.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 01:55:55 am »

Nice idea! I suggest you turn cave-ins off, then they will really float!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 09:16:31 am »

How about a large threedecker/ironclad with sails, ballista batteries and turrets with catapults? Sounds pretty dwarven. Also, clear glass windows for a conning tower, a couple of flags and lava boilers, holds filled with coal, weapons, ammo, food and such.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 10:13:00 am »

My intention was to fill the harbor with other player's designs, as though they were sending ships to visit.

I can design my own all i want but it hits a point of "where's the fun in that?"

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 11:20:29 am »

I'll make a ship too.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 11:47:53 am »

With cave-ins on, all you need is to attach the ship to a handy dock via a gang-plank to have the craft "float".  I've done a similar concept in the "Luckiest Tourist Ever" game, back in the 34.15 days.

Also, just an idea: if you zone each ship as a tavern, you can name them as well as crew them (bartenders/performers)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 12:06:27 pm »

Also, just an idea: if you zone each ship as a tavern, you can name them as well as crew them (bartenders/performers)
Yesssssss hadnt thought of that. Thats a GLORIOUS idea.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 12:36:58 pm »

Battleship.  Just on the surface of the water, wood fortifications parallel the shore.  Behind these fortifications are steel tipped (harpoons) ballistas (at least 12 in quantity).

Walls are made of logs, or steel only.  Floors are made of logs only.  Captain's Quarters are made of wood blocks only with steel pillars.

Wood Furnace and Smelter (engine room) for a more modern flair, needs a metal chimney.

Crew lives in a shared bedroom, with each their own locker (chest, wood or metal, no stone coffers!) 

Half the ship is for Trade Goods storage if a trader, or full of weapons/barracks if a war ship.

Kitchen Pantry only holds 3x3 tiles of food at most.  1x3 farm plot allowed for mushroom.
Booze Pantry holds 3x8 booze at most, mostly rum.  You want more? Go to shore.

Militia armed with scimitars, daggers, crossbows, axes, spears.  Officers wield swords. 
Uniform: wool caps, leather only, creature skin (seal/whale/sea) boots.

Nobles only wear silks:

The dock has intervals of rope restraints.

Fisherman's Wharf: serves fished food only, and potatoes.

There's always a seedy bar, and a house where only women armed with daggers live.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 04:40:44 pm »

snip
Well, most of the ships are going OT be attached to "docks" cast from obsidian, and built in obsidian "drydocks". Thus to conserve space. Also going to probably dredge out some space, seeing as probably players are going ot demand huge ships.
12 ballista means a minimum of 36 tiles long, before accounting for any kind of command deck (either at the front, back or middle, splitting the ballista) on a 5 wide ship. Which assuming 6 tiles length of command deck, is a 42 tile long ship, plus 2 or more to make a "bow" and "stern", so probably 45-48 long..... thats a bit long, considering a map tile is only 48x48. So that might take a while.
No problems making it from steel though, the current embark, despite embarking on "bronze lake", has more than enough iron and flux stone (and goblins. Plenty of goblinite)
assuming 42 spaces of z-1 space though, that's easily enough for the booze, food, and crew space, and some form of "engine room" (might even shove a pump at the far back for the lulz.)
The armament might take a while as trade and all for scimitars, as the whale skin clothing (seas have been pretty mundane).

You didn't give it a name btw. As using taverns to name ships is brilliant. (or libraries/temples.)

The stuff onshore is already planned. A little shanty town (primarily aboveground) in wooden buildings with 1-2 tile deep basements. Paved 3 wide streets for wagons. Couple guard towers garrisoned with marksdwarves.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 04:48:07 pm »

You can have staggered ballista placements, so less than 36, but 9-wider.
Code: [Select]
      ooo
   ooo==>
ooo==>ooo
==>ooo
ooo

I like that shanty town, sounds cool.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:50:21 pm by Sanctume »

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 04:58:14 pm »

You can have staggered ballista placements, so less than 36, but 9-wider.
      ooo
   ooo==>
ooo==>ooo
==>ooo
ooo

I like that shanty town, sounds cool.

was thinking more like this
ooo
==>
oooooo
   ==>
oooooo
==>
oooooo
   ==>
oooooo
==>
oooooo
   ==>
   ooo

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 02:28:27 am »

What's the z-level limit up from the surface?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 02:54:01 am »

... We could do a 'community fortress' where we need to build a port fort! All buildings on the surface, only surface crops! Make sure that we have tons of humans and (ugh...) e- e- elves... Build an overground fort with districts for each species! And we must build as many boats as is achiveable!!!!!!!!!!
Who thinks that this is a good idea?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 03:44:00 am »

... We could do a 'community fortress' where we need to build a port fort! All buildings on the surface, only surface crops! Make sure that we have tons of humans and (ugh...) e- e- elves... Build an overground fort with districts for each species! And we must build as many boats as is achiveable!!!!!!!!!!
I was actually gonna propose this
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 05:36:36 am »

What's the z-level limit up from the surface?

Anything really

Could be nifty.
This game is currently quite a bit out of date however (and the fort is 15 ears old at the time of deciding to boat the hell out of the water), so would need to remake and hunt around for a similar terrain.
Pages: [1] 2