Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wagon weirdness  (Read 2227 times)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
wagon weirdness
« on: May 26, 2016, 05:49:26 am »

Several years ago, game time, the human caravan stopped showing up.  I didn't think anything of it, because stuff happens in the world sometimes.  However, about two years after the last human caravan, I suddenly got a series of announcements telling me that a black bear had guzzled about 200 units of booze.  No booze of mine was outside the fortress.  I zoomed to the spot and found a black bear unconscious and dying of alcohol poisoning at the gate of the defensive wall.

After the most recent dwarven caravan left, I found some wagon logs and a pile of goods at the same location at the gate.  Apparently a wagon was scuttled there.  It had to be the most recent caravan, because two grazing animals in cages were still alive in the pile.

There's nothing visible at that spot, or anywhere else on the map that looks unusual.  No combat reports or announcements were provided to me.  I have a hypothesis now that the last human caravan, or part of it, is somehow stuck in limbo, and that's why the caravan stopped showing up (because the game thinks one still exists); the black bear stole invisible-to-me liquor from the invisible-to-me wagon.  The dwarven caravan narrowly escaped this fate by scuttling one of its wagons.

Is this something that has happened to anyone else?  What could be going on?

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wagon weirdness
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 08:45:31 am »

The no-apparent-reason scuttled wagon happened to me a few times a few months ago, but not recently.  Out of curiosity, what version are you playing?

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 12:11:09 pm »

Happen to have any were-creature corpses around? Hasn't happened to me since I started walling my refuse stockpiles.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 04:58:54 pm »

No weres.  My population is only 47 so I haven't triggered any events yet, and I embarked in year 2 so I'll be surprised to see weres at all.

The no-apparent-reason scuttled wagon happened to me a few times a few months ago, but not recently.  Out of curiosity, what version are you playing?

I can't live without my LNP, because: lazy, so I'm playing 42.06(-r1).

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 07:07:26 pm »

So it's been probably 15 years since I last saw a human caravan, and I abruptly get a notification in autumn that a human merchant has gone berserk.  Two pack animals an a pile of human goods suddenly materialized on the entry road.  Seems like Schrödinger's caravan has reappeared from hyperspace.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 08:43:49 pm »

So it's been probably 15 years since I last saw a human caravan, and I abruptly get a notification in autumn that a human merchant has gone berserk.  Two pack animals an a pile of human goods suddenly materialized on the entry road.  Seems like Schrödinger's caravan has reappeared from hyperspace.
sigged

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 07:30:35 pm »

So...Did you report the bug?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 08:32:59 pm »

sounds to me like the bear was attacking the caravans and you didnt have any dwarfs to see it happen

creatures can wander off the map at will so it might be that the bear saw the caravan before it entered the map and went to attack it
invaders can hang off of the map and be drawn onto it by a passing dwarf, so it might be that the caravan entered some loading zone outside of the map where the game processes the same way as it does your fortress and the bear went for it
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 08:57:08 pm »

So...Did you report the bug?

No, it turns out that it's a well-known bug.  I'm sure it's been reported already by someone else.

sounds to me like the bear was attacking the caravans and you didnt have any dwarfs to see it happen

creatures can wander off the map at will so it might be that the bear saw the caravan before it entered the map and went to attack it
invaders can hang off of the map and be drawn onto it by a passing dwarf, so it might be that the caravan entered some loading zone outside of the map where the game processes the same way as it does your fortress and the bear went for it

It's a known bug.  A bear didn't kill 15 caravans (but for some reason only the human caravans) and it's weird that you think that is not only plausible but that I wouldn't notice it happening for more than a decade of game time.  I've talked about it in other threads and everyone seems to know this bug.