Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: (SG) Bankruptcy: The Tale of a Demonic Enterprise  (Read 18726 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Bankruptcy: The Tale of a Demonic Enterprise
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2016, 05:37:59 pm »

Well, seeing as this looks to be set about 300 years before my game, the exact alignment of demons and gods and whatnot will not be quite the same. I wouldn't count on my infodumps being entirely accurate to this setting, even if the PC has the lore skills to know it all.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2016, 05:47:08 pm »

Work phase

You decide to use this time to invest in your stock, and you begin by grabbing two dwarven warrior souls, and processing them into wights. You strip off all the useless bits that you feel nobody is going to care, and install the required structure, such as the feedback loop and the obedience incentives for whatever dark mage is going to buy them. Good warrior souls are always in good demand, and you suppose that you could easily get 5 or 6 souls for them. You suppose that with this pricing structure, if you prepared the soul of the dwarven Earth Elementalist as a wight, it could be sold at maybe 10 or so souls.

After going through the useless bits and discarding them as little more than thrash without any energy value, you grab the damaged soul. The soul's structure is little more than a tangled mess, with memories and abilities overlapping and intertwining into what can be described as the mental equivalent of static, but the sheer randomness of some thoughts than can still be read is funny. At least you suppose that this lady eating literal mud cakes is a byproduct of the soul damage. Nevertheless, you strip all the useless bits, and you prepare it to be scrapped.

With the remaining energy, you decide to hone your elementalism skills. Penelope watches you during this time, and when you get to practice your Fire shooting skills, she helpfully points out that you could spread your flames to produce a distraction when fighting with multiple enemies, or that you could concentrate the stream into a fine and lethal point. She also notes that, even if it seems that you are unable to pierce steel armor with that, you could very well heat the armor to the point someone boils inside of it. You thank the Sorrow's Daughter for her insight with Fire elementalism, and then decide to give yourself a treat and consume those two commoner souls. You can't say that they are tasty, as the process is quite metaphysical in nature, but you the power they bring as your demonic digestive system deconstructs them feels rather nice.

You have achieved Vigor level 2!

After all this intensive work, you review the results of your deals:

It seems that Damian Skorn has been busy, and he has given you 4 net curses. Which means that he has used 6 curses and two blessings.

Gretha sent you 3 goblin slave souls through your hex. They are now in the vault.

With this, your current deals are as follows:

Spoiler: Clients (click to show/hide)

[...]

As you were clamly reviewing your holdings, a sudden change in the currents of air warns you of something.

"What happened here?" You hear being whispered at your ear. Just as you turn around, the air moves again, and you don't see anything. You sight, it's Plinrgleth. Dammit. The Blitzbeast has an attention span too short to be bugging you for a lot of time, but you fear that she may hurt someone other than you while she is here if you don't give her what she wants, or at least if you don't scare her away. Due to your nature as a Mist Fiend, she can't hurt you, which means that you are safe, but the same can't be said for your underlings.

You are not sure about what to do. If you give her some souls, she may be appeased, but may come back for more later. If you don't react, she may get bored, or try to harm one of your underlings. You could try to push her around, which may either make her get tired of evading you and leave, or tell her that you are holding something. You are not capable of defeating her, but you may be able to make some uncomfortable injuries so that she leaves.

What will you do about the Blitzbeast?

Tomcost, I've used your information index to research the theology of the D:WS 'verse. How much of it does our PC know?

Yxcran has spent most of his life in slavery, so he doesn’t know much about the world outside of demonic lore, some legends, and the very basics about divine beings, which generally could beat a greater demon without much effort.

Well, seeing as this looks to be set about 300 years before my game, the exact alignment of demons and gods and whatnot will not be quite the same. I wouldn't count on my infodumps being entirely accurate to this setting, even if the PC has the lore skills to know it all.

Sempai has noticed me! I'm honored to have you around here. I am well below your writing skills, but I hope that I will make something good out of this.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2016, 06:05:55 pm »

I suggest that we attempt to use Plinrgleth as a form of instant rumer transportation, by stating quite simply that some idot has made it possible for <input what the guys that killed off our boss are called> to wander around the demonic realms slaughtering anything that they find! beyond witch we should say that they havn't been gone long.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:07:55 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2016, 11:05:12 pm »

Can we "poison" souls so that demons that eat them will take damage or otherwise be harmed?

"Go away, Blitz. I'm doing something very important."

Fiddle aimlessly with one of our commoner souls, but make it look like that soul is really important and that we're doing something really delicate.

I think we should go on an anti-blitzbeast hunting mission with our neighbors sometime soon. It'll be beneficial for all of us.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2016, 11:09:32 pm »

The fact that they are faster then most of our neighbors may be one reason why they are still around. Another is that they might just be Keeping some more powerful demons from moving in do to the added annoyance of having their souls stolen on a "Daily" basis.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2016, 02:33:54 am »

Gretha sent you 3 goblin slave curses through your hex. They are now in the vault.
I think you meant souls here, not curses

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2016, 02:37:28 am »

Can we "poison" souls so that demons that eat them will take damage or otherwise be harmed?

"Go away, Blitz. I'm doing something very important."

Fiddle aimlessly with one of our commoner souls, but make it look like that soul is really important and that we're doing something really delicate.

I think we should go on an anti-blitzbeast hunting mission with our neighbors sometime soon. It'll be beneficial for all of us.
One of our Mist Fiend domains is poison so I think we should be able to do this.

Poison some souls and then give them to the Blitzbeast

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2016, 10:23:13 am »

You can't poison souls, those are metaphysical entities beyond physical matters like poison. You can unleash a poisonous gas at will that is lethal to mortals. Demons, on the other hand, are far more resilient than mortals, and its effect on them is greatly diminished. You are free to try, though.

Gretha sent you 3 goblin slave curses through your hex. They are now in the vault.
I think you meant souls here, not curses

Yes, I did. I'm correnting the current stocks. Here is the updated sheet:

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2016, 11:18:32 am »

You can't poison souls, those are metaphysical entities beyond physical matters like poison. You can unleash a poisonous gas at will that is lethal to mortals. Demons, on the other hand, are far more resilient than mortals, and its effect on them is greatly diminished. You are free to try, though.
Can't we like, metaphysically poison them or something?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2016, 11:39:48 am »

PTW
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2016, 11:48:16 am »

I'm afraid not. Souls are a form of energy, and, as such, you can't make it poisonous as far as you know. You have heard of tales of blessed mortal souls which have more energy than the ordinary, but you never heard about altering the structure of a soul to poison a demon.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2016, 11:03:39 pm »

I'm afraid not. Souls are a form of energy, and, as such, you can't make it poisonous as far as you know. You have heard of tales of blessed mortal souls which have more energy than the ordinary, but you never heard about altering the structure of a soul to poison a demon.
What if the soul had the will of ten men? A hundred?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2016, 12:42:48 am »

What if the soul had the will of ten men? A hundred?

We'd be Bankrupt.  :P

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 07:41:35 pm »

"The Inquisition came and killed everyone, don't you see?" You say, attempting some degree of sarcasm.

Another woosh of air and you suddenly find Plinrgleth standing in front of you. She is larger than you, and you would feel intimidated had she got the ability to harm you.

"What? That was plainly stupid. Don't try to mess with me, because I will find a way to mess you up!"

"I'm just saying what happened. They just were summoned here, and killed everyone." You helpfully point at the piles of demonic rubbish that were formerly the workstations.

A speck of fear crosses her face, as the thought of someone strong enough to kill your master passes through her mind. But it quickly fades into a wide demonic grin:

"You are kidding, boy!" She says, not believing it at all. You just answer with a shrug, and call one of your commoner souls, and you start to play around with it. This one seems to be from some teenager girl who worked as a servant in some random noble's mansion.

"Go away Blitz. I'm doing something very important." You say, trying to put a concentrated face as you go through the memories of the girl, not finding anything of importance, just a mixture of gossip, family matters, and a crush she had on the steward of said noble. The Blitzbeast frowns and reappears in front of you.

"At least I guess that I can take that soul from you, then?" She says, while leaning in what would be a painfully slow motion for her towards the soul. You answer by unleashing a bunch of your poisonous gas, and Plinrgleth starts to cough and back away.

"What was that? The last time I smelled something so awful was when I was a mortal and a Savannah orc farted on my face. Cough..."

She quickly gets at a considerable distance away from you, and adds:

"You win this time, Fart Boy! But I will come back!" And with that she disappears. You are pretty sure that she can perfectly forget about what happened here, seeing as there is not much loot to steal, or that she could come back later. You stand somewhat triumphant, having defeated by unexpected means one of your master's nemesis, and Penelope and the Tentacle Demon come out of hiding and thank you for getting rid of her.
Tentacley shakes his tentacles and tries to use his frontal ones as a tongue to lick you in appreciation, but they just go through you. Most of the tentacles shift to one side, just like a dog would when it doesn't understand something. It is somewhat cute, as far as your perception of what is cute goes.

After this situation has been sorted out, you find that it is time to start another week of your business:

Week 2:

Negotiation phase:

A) You are greeted by Chieftain Hill, who bows before you and offers a small lead box, which contains a soul, claiming that it belongs to you now. he then gets as talkative as the last time, and you learn that he and his clan followed the Augur to a local tavern and managed to get the soul back, but they had to pay the Dark Mage a proper compensation in silver. They almost tried to kill him on the spot, but there were some city guards around, and they didn't want to get his small clan into problems with the law. You are also told that his clan has moved from Orc Country to the southernmost human lands of the Kingdom, and that they found an abandoned house who previously belonged to a dark mage, which now serves as their base of operations. He asks you if you could find him better weapons for his clan, or another means to make them better at fighting, as they are a small clan with only one water elementalist as their disposal, and they want to take mercenary work. You don't know where to get the demonic weapons, but you are sure that mercenary work should give them plenty of souls, as long as they don't get themselves killed. Alternatively, you could contract one of your minions to them. The tentacle beast would be really notorious in a human city, but could take on 5 or 6 humans at the same time, with the plus that you could trick the orcs into a favorable contract which makes it obligatory for them to hide it. Alternatively, you could contract yourself to the orcs, and as long as you don't face an air elementalist or a member of the Inquisition, you would be pretty safe, and could enjoy some time away from work, and maybe doing some business of your own on the mortal realm while you kill for the clan. Of course, it would entail leaving your business here unattended for some time, with the dangers it could pose for your minions.

+1 old orc potioncrafter soul

B) Gretha calls back and asks for the soul of her father in exchange of those three souls she gave you. She seems far happier this time, and she even divulges that she used the scrap soul that she bought from you to power a powerful golem that had been in her family for generations, which she used to defend her city against an invading force of goblins. She points out that the goblin slaves were already cursed to send their souls to another demon, and that she had to unweave the hex and curse them with your own curse before they were executed. You could be the trustworthy fellow and give the soul back to her, as three souls is a sufficient enough payment for the scrap soul you gave her. Or you could use your leverage and demand even more souls, but you are unsure if she will be able to get them.

C) You are contacted by a lowborn human. She is called Kathy, and is interested in buying some wight souls. She claims that she won't pay anything over 4 souls for each one. You are pretty sure that if you use your developing marketing skills and mention that you have warrior souls in stock, that price could go up in one or two souls.

Penelope asks you from a distance if she can directly interfere in your negotiation with Kathy. You are sure that she could get a good deal, but fear that it may make you look weak by letting an underling do business for you. It depends on how experienced the dark mage turns out to be.

So, again, how do you answer to each customer?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2016, 08:03:28 pm »

Ideas:
-We can lend Our T-Beast AND / OR our (dead)masters Axe to the Orks.

-We might as well give the girl her father's soul back, she DID pay for it.

-Let Penelop Deal Kathy
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9