Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How determined are you to get a particular site?  (Read 1356 times)

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How determined are you to get a particular site?
« on: May 27, 2016, 12:33:50 am »

Been going at world generation for about 6 hours probably 50% of them resulted in a crash (Determined to play with certain settings)

I'm not here to complain or anything, its just a curiosity how much does a particular site with certain nearby locations on embark matter to you?

Atm I'm going out of my way to at least get goblins, orc's, humans, elves, tower, (undead disabled MMM mancer's) in a Savage untamed wild biome, anything else is just a bonus (I think :P).
LP'er

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How determined are you to get a particular site?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 12:51:54 am »

The perfect world utility might be worth looking into.

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 01:00:37 am »

Would it work with masterwork? I've also noticed upon reading it's description that  "I have had a lot of fun just generating maps and reading the legends and watching empires rise and fall during the world gen process." Which might be a good way of figuring out why world gen's are crashing :S hummm...
LP'er

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 01:21:45 am »

use shorter worldgens. you want all races? just stop at year 1-10, they have no chance of dying out.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 01:38:53 am »

I've been avoiding shorter world gen's for I assumed it had to do with less necromancer towers due to less people finding secrets. I've not really had any problems with civ's dying but rather where they're located trying to get them in a proximity of each other. But i could guess by this you mean that there are a lot more of them on the map as opposed to 125 years later, but you could say that also the same for them expanding/colonizing to other sites?

(I assume as the world generates over the years necromancer towers get generated due to secrets being found or them getting sieges and taken down and civilizations move about the map depending on history?)
LP'er

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 10:15:54 pm »

I've been avoiding shorter world gen's for I assumed it had to do with less necromancer towers due to less people finding secrets. I've not really had any problems with civ's dying but rather where they're located trying to get them in a proximity of each other. But i could guess by this you mean that there are a lot more of them on the map as opposed to 125 years later, but you could say that also the same for them expanding/colonizing to other sites?

(I assume as the world generates over the years necromancer towers get generated due to secrets being found or them getting sieges and taken down and civilizations move about the map depending on history?)

You're right about the towers thing, because people only find secrets when there's been lots of death that drives them to seek out immortality; but that's less of a problem since the worlds made after .40 are "activated" and keep generating history like that as you play. Just hold on to the same world for a few decades of play and they'll pop up just the same. (It's easier if you do this in fortress mode.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:25:44 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 09:46:45 pm »

If you can provide a list of features, I might be able to help out.  I've spent a fair amount of time with Advanced WorldGen.  Also, the current Cook Book thread is always worth a look; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154368.0

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 09:09:57 pm »

Back in the day I used to obsess about finding embarks with flux sedimentary layer and a volcano or magma pipe before the layer existed.
Now I'm quite content to settle for a flat embark with a source of iron ore.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 10:58:08 am »

Back in the day I used to obsess about finding embarks with flux sedimentary layer and a volcano or magma pipe before the layer existed.
Now I'm quite content to settle for a flat embark with a source of iron ore.

...you bother looking for iron?