Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improved Commerce (modification of existing mechanic)  (Read 1161 times)

conflictensues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Improved Commerce (modification of existing mechanic)
« on: May 27, 2016, 01:59:45 am »

As a forewarning, this may be a duplicate of http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151553.msg6352337#msg6352337, although I am not sure since that post is really long.  I did some skimming and it seems to address broader ideas though.

I've played fortress mode a few dozen times over the years (exclusively) and have found that trading is consistently too easy.  I mean to say that I can purchase out every caravan in its entirety by year three.  It takes about that long for my dedicated stonecrafter, 2 gem cutters, and gem setter to get allocated and to improve their skills.  I have a simple suggestion for this: as more of a particular type of object are sold to a civilization, reduce their trade value modifier.  The counter can be reduced by one every week or so, and this would help make the game feel more challenging in this regard.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Commerce (modification of existing mechanic)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 03:49:08 am »

The issue is stuff being too valuable to begin with. Keeping in mind each civ caravan only comes once a year, the player can just alternate or diversify between the various overpriced goods.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 03:50:45 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

conflictensues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 04:29:30 am »

The issue is stuff being too valuable to begin with. Keeping in mind each civ caravan only comes once a year, the player can just alternate or diversify between the various overpriced goods.

Perhaps you are right.  In that case perhaps there could also be taxation demands from the home civilization to make it harder.  Actually, that is a terrible idea forget I scratched it out.  I guess this doesn't have an 'easy' fix.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 05:06:45 am »

Why waste time making a placeholder system when the entire world's economy is going to be implemented in a few versions time?

I mean, sure it's a nice idea, and it'd be great from a player's point of view to have it right now, but with everything else in the schedule, do you really see Toady takng time out for something he already knows will be discarded?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 08:44:25 am »

Perhaps you are right.  In that case perhaps there could also be taxation demands from the home civilization to make it harder. I guess this doesn't have an 'easy' fix.

I think it being mentioned somewhere in a FotF thread post response by toady or alternatively on the development arc/dftalks that at some point traders will just say "hah no" to you selling them certain goods, like the same image of frogs jumping over oak trees or negative images despite having all the reason to buy them on account of accruing too much stock already. Everyone gets too fat or complains the stockpiles are too full back at home to take any more of your chicken egg biscuits unless they are exceptional in small quantities.

Taxation/Mandates (hybrid?) from the king/lawgiver forbidding the IMPORTS of objects might be a way to slip in your suggestive taxation, making it unviable for the trader to both keep his head (physically unsmashed by capital executioners) and incur more fiscal losses on part of different buyers just to get rid of what you give them.

Why waste time making a placeholder system when the entire world's economy is going to be implemented in a few versions time?

I mean, sure it's a nice idea, and it'd be great from a player's point of view to have it right now, but with everything else in the schedule, do you really see Toady takng time out for something he already knows will be discarded?

Thats a fair point delivered very harshly shonai. All in all it will matter and it depends on how the economy around money and goods is delivered by toady himself. It could find place there, or maybe it will not.

At the moment of this post toady seems to be busy technically sorting out his software rather than embarking on a big project after the last (we should be grateful that a number of outstanding bugs were fixed including the longstanding glazing bug) with settler sites, so before he winds up to crank out 44. and 45 using whatever he plans to do next including simulation backup projects he has on his computer as part of a relevant arc we shouldn't explicitly be jumping to conclusions.  :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 08:46:04 am by FantasticDorf »

conflictensues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 11:03:01 pm »

All of these things make since, although I wasn't aware of the impending economy overhaul, and even if I were, 3-4 versions could be months whereas if this were a good idea it'd be easy to implement, but that's neither here nor there.

Since you brought up glazing, accepting any repercussions of going off topic (strike me down karma), earthenware and glassware don't seem comparable to wood.  The elves' 100-or-so-tree limits are hardly limiting and carpentry+wood crafting can be easily controlled without diving into mapping out large burrows to separate out item hauling jobs.  There are a lot of woods which are also lighter or around the same weight...  The only case I can make for it is the 3X value although that seems a little superfluous with the current economy.  Wood floors also don't seem to block light, although I seem to remember somewhere someone mentioned that light areas covered up remain light?-?  If that's the case then I suppose that's another issue.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 11:11:54 pm »

Don't worry, 3-4 major versions will be about 5 years from now probably. Still a good chance a temporary fix to make trading more fun will be implemented.
Take a read through the dev notes. In the "short-term" we've got magic then politics and then probably boats to come before any attempt on a world economy gets started.