Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gem Floors?  (Read 1164 times)

BloodLines

• Bay Watcher
  • Lose an arm to some nasty goblins? www.ArmOk.com
    • View Profile
    • Lose an arm to some nasty goblins?
Gem Floors?
« on: May 29, 2016, 08:03:52 am »

I find it a little hard to believe I am the only one who has ever thought of this. Which makes me believe either A: I missed this when I searched for it. or B: You can do it somehow and I am just being a elf dumb. Anyways it would be nice to be able to make floors using gems with "dance floors" now being a thing. Think it would go good with them since they do the whole "flash" thing would make for a pretty sweet dance floor.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: Gem Floors?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 12:12:39 pm »

A more general Mosaic floor decoration would be more fitting / useful. Pave your floors with bits of crushed stone, broken pottery, ore, coins, even gems (rough as well as cut, why not?) if you want to. This would probably have to wait until Gravel gets implemented (which it might not be), though, but would provide a more durable floor decoration--currently, building furniture on an engraved floor destroys the engraving, but a mosaic floor should take the weight just fine (although the engraver might feel offended that her artwork was covered up).
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Gem Floors?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 03:41:05 pm »

This is rarely seen in game - with downwards passages/caves going through a gem cluster, instead of normal floor being left behind (like with digging) the floor is instead converted to gems.

Otherwise, I suppose the best you could currently accomplish would be to build gem windows underneath with dance floor covered by grates for viewing.

To combine the above, perhaps possibility to build natural and gem windows as transparent floors, like you can currently do both vertical and horizontal bars?