- 0 (0%)
Nerubian (3 civs)
- 0 (0%)
Sand Troll (2 civs)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 08, 2016, 02:25:52 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: [43.03-05] Adventures in the Plane of Portent - A Modded Adventure Story Thread  (Read 18179 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam

That would be quite interesting - there's only one living Tarkatan civ in the world - the Dagger of Adventures. The other, the Brown Earth, on top of having a pretty bad spot in terms of geopolitics, also seemingly picked a fight with most of their neighbors - most were against the nerubians of the Unseen Confederations and the ice trolls of the Occult Confederacies, but a few were against their dark troll, elf and goblin neighbors as well.

The Dagger of Adventurers on the other hand, are situated on an island, with their only neighbors being a "civilization" (literally 2 caves) of ogron. There's a few lairs on the island with megabeasts, but not too many - a good biome is also to the west of them. Any sort of ability to get to the mainland as a vampire or something is also quite limited, due to their positioning. We'll see though - maybe something interesting could come of starting there, narrative-wise.
They're the dark green civ on the center island.

In any case, I've also uploaded the world file itself, both as a backup and in case anyone wants to look. Some speech files are included for some interactions and creatures. I might do some writing pieces before the voting, beastiary entries or something to that extent from an iron guardian custodian's or a general "wanderer's" perspective.

As a side bit of trivia, during the entire adventure, Olith gained the title "the Puzzling Savior" whereas Cobim got the title "the Disemboweler of Insanities". Fitting enough, I suppose. Olith has forty notable kills and three unnotable ones, whereas Cobim has nine notable ones and one unnotable kill. Anya's 2 other accomplices I've also started with only the titles "the Slayer" (the male) and "the Beauty" (the female) - kind of cool that you can completely forego first and last names, though they'll get them anyway after a few kills - so the spearman is technically named "Waxtorch the Slayer", whereas the swordswoman is called "Lipknit the Beauty".
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:41:57 pm by ZM5 »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

Quick, break the tie before anyone else votes wrong!
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile

I see a lot of potential for a Draenei character to emerge especially after Aader's death. I honestly felt sick seeing her go like that.. that Draenei female *wipes face from tears* wasted like that. :( I must let the grief pass me! *grabs his ischronite ylside drolth, casts haste and swiftly dolts off into the distance*
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam

This is a wolf leather-bound codex. The written portion consists a beastiary, authored by Ast Slingfastened the dwarf necromancer. It concerns the behaviour of various creatures. Overall, as a source of information this codex is passable.

I am Ast Slingfastened, former baron of Gleemirrored, a hillock of the Somber Palisade, a dwarven expedition, currently a member of the Portals of Quiescence, a group of immortals such as myself. This is a simple compendium of the various beasts I and my companions have come across in our travels around the world - should you be an adventurer, just like we once were, this guide may provide you with some knowledge, so that you may be forewarned of any dangers your destination may hold, for as you know, this part of the world is particularly untamed and filled with various wild, savage beasts, not known in other parts of the world - as well as many forms of clearly unnatural, malicious creatures.

I will also be including the various civilized races I've come across - it is quite helpful to be able to identify which creature won't attempt to devour you on sight and in fact may be able to provide shelter.

Beasts - Pt. 1
Worgs
Worgs are very large offshots of wolves - while giant wolves do exist, they appear to be unrelated to Worgs.

These beasts tend to be bigger than horses when they reach their adult size, and are very sturdy - for this reason, some races use them as mounts and animals of burden - Orcs in particular appear to have some sort of special bond with the worgs that allows them to domesticate these creatures easier.

They make quite ferocious and loyal companions, as well as great war animals. Wild worgs are quite difficult opponents, even for seasoned warriors - taking on even two of them alone, or worse yet, an entire pack of them, is suicide.

Regardless, should you be able to slay one of these beasts, they can provide quite a lot of meat for sustenance, and their leather and fur can be useful for making simple yet warm armor.

Saber Worg
I've only come across these beasts rarely in my travels - they are a fiercer subspecies' of the Worgs, acclimated to the colder regions of the world. As a result, they are much more aggressive, and their fangs are also very big in comparison to their warmer brethren, allowing them to rend flesh much more easily - quite useful, given the other creatures in the taigas and tundras.

Their fur also insulates them much better than that of other worgs, again, quite useful, should you find yourself in the southern areas of the world.

Otherwise, they've been rarely domesticated - few races stay for any long period of time in the south.

Garm
These canine predators are only found underground and in the tainted forests. They are bigger than either Worgs or Saber Worgs, and much longer-lived - although, they also take longer to reach their full, adult size. They resemble giant, decaying wolves, with raw-looking flesh of various shades of red, and their heads resemble bats more than canines - despite their horrifying appearance, they are not undead and still very much alive.

They are attracted to the smell of carrion, and are often found feasting on the corpses of various other creatures. Regardless, they are not picky, and will attack any nearby living creature that interrupts their feeding.

Garms have a peculiar ability, one that makes them a lot more formidable than even Saber Worgs - they can spew a gray fog that can temporarily blind those unlucky enough to be hit by it - this allows them to simply pounce on any unfortunate adventurer and bite them to death, as they're wildly flailing their weapons.

They have been domesticated, and obviously make very deadly war animals, although most races who managed this feat aren't particularly fond of outsiders - goblins, fel orcs and the corrupted humans often use these beasts as mounts, as well as hunting and war animals.

Cerberus
These beasts are very rare, and I have only seen one in all my travels, an experience I do not wish to repeat again. They are three-headed, gigantic, demonic wolves, and are capable of very easily tearing a man to shreds.

Each of its three heads can attack independently from the other two - even groups aren't safe from being mauled by these creatures.

To make matters worse, it also possesses the innate ability to spew streams of fire from each head - as you might guess, the beast can breathe in three, completely separate directions.

The Cerberi themselves are immune to intense heat of any kind, which is presumably how they can store their fire without burning from the inside.

Peasants and other common folk believe that they are the guardians of the Underworld, although I've yet to see one that was standing watch over a gateway of some kind - they are too aggressive to be guardians. Perhaps there is some truth to the myth, after all, stories like that do not come from nowhere.

Behemoth
These gargantuan beasts are thankfully very rare - only a few exist in the world. They resemble a canine crossed with a lion, and also have two large horns.

They do not possess any innate magical abilities or breath attacks, although they do not need them - their size dwarves even fully-grown dragons, and as such they can simply crush most other creatures under their weight, or tear them to shreds with their claws or fangs.

I've noticed a rather worrying pattern to their behaviour - they appear to somehow be innately aware of locations where civilization thrives - often the same areas where lots of trees are cut down for lumber and where animals are slaughtered for meat, leather and other materials - and they instinctively head towards these areas, killing the townsfolk and destroying buildings, but leaving the animals alive. This leads me to believe they're some kind of natural force given physical form.

Nonetheless, the rules of other biological creatures apply to them, and they still feel pain and can be knocked unconscious - at which point its easy enough to cut the throat and wait for it to bleed to death.

OOC: Something different - I'll be doing these beastiary entries every once in a while, for a bit of lore-building, whenever I need to do a voting process. Hope you guys enjoy them.

EDIT: Well, uh, this is an interesting result. Gonna do a coin toss.

EDIT 2: Alright, went with 5 coin tosses, Draenei were heads and Tarkatans were tails - Draenei got 3 wins and Tarkatans got only 2, so we're going with the Draenei.

The Draenei have 2 active civilizations and no dead ones - both are also fairly close to each other, so it doesn't make too much of a difference where we start.

This is the territory of the first Draenei civ, the Ordered Day of Cusps.

Their main neighbors are Draconians of the Confederacy of Tapering, to the south. Their area, as you can see, is actually quite open - there's quite a lot of bandit camps, lairs, and other fun places around - interestingly there's a camp not too far from their location that consists of 13 plump helmet men and 2 Sand Trolls, something I haven't really seen before (large amounts of animal people-like creatures in bandit camps, that is).

This is the territory of the other civ, the Crowded Gate.

Their area is a fair bit more crowded, as you can see - their western neighbors are Sand Trolls of the Sweltering Empires and Naga of the Competitive Realms. Centrally up north in the marshes are the forest retreats belonging to Dark Trolls of the Confederations of Competing, and the dark pits dangerously close to their villages belong to the Corrupted Humans of the Confining Cruelty. To the north-west there are some forest retreats, belonging to the Forest Trolls of the Confederacy of Tongs, and some towns of the Curious Confederations, a titan civilization. Lastly, to the north-east there are some hillocks and fortresses belonging to the Iron Guardian civilization of the Banners of Ticking.

There are quite a few lairs and bandit camps around their area, though not quite as densely packed as near the Ordered Day of Cusps' area, and interestingly, there's a vault called Meanblocks not far south from the dark pits situated on the river in the center-right. There's a fair bit of abandoned/ruined towns too, populated only by bandit groups. So, seems like it'll be a fun ride - I'll post the first update tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 03:54:40 pm by ZM5 »

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Three's the charm! Awesome.

Looking forward to read of the new adventurer and some bestiary. I honestly wasn't aware of the Garms, that or I've forgotten something. Behemoths however reminded me something from Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW

What?

PTW is an Abbreviation for the phrase Posting To Watch. It's an easy way to express interest in a Thread and let the Thread's Creator and/or Participants that You are watching the progress of the Thread. I'm sorry if I confused anyone.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam

So, time for a new adventurer - Radan Whitejudge.

Welcome back, dear reader. It's time for another story, this time it begins in the hamlet of Greaterwork, a village governed by the Wealthy Vault, a group of Draenei of the Crowded Gate, one of the two expeditions sent by the Northern Coalition.
Along with the Ordered Day of Cusps, another Draenei expedition, and the Confederacy of Tapering, a Draconian expedition, they serve as the second line of defense against the aggression coming from the western part of the continent - most notably, the Demons of the Channel of Slipping and the Free Strings, as well as their Corrupted Human servants of the Influential Ghoul, all have large strongholds in the region. A new threat has also shown itself in the recent years - the Granite Skulls, a group of sinister mockeries of the Humans, that are supposedly trying to summon a horrid, ancient deity into this dimension.

Recently, support for the western front, led by the Naga of the Competitive Realms and the Humans of the Crazy Realm, has been fading, due to the local problems the Draenei and Draconian defenders are facing. The local wildlife has been getting more dangerous as of late, and beasts from the depths of the earth have been seen wandering the aboveground - most likely something underground is driving them out of their caverns. As if this wasn't enough trouble for this group, a force of Corrupted Human cultists have encroached near the Crowded Gate's territory, and raiders from the native Troll civilizations have been getting more bold.

This leads to the protagonist of this story - Radan Whitejudge, a peacekeeper under the vindicator Yrade Wallgifts. This Draenei man, worried by the coming troubles and out of a sense of duty, has trained for years in hopes of becoming part of the Wealthy Vault's town militia.
He was overjoyed when Yrat Marbleconjured, the village's elder, recommended him to Yrade as a recruit - eventually Radan was trained in the use of a hammer a weapon preferred by the Draenei.

The day for his first real mission had come, and so he set out to Yrade for his orders. Accompanying him were two other novices - Yrasu Sneakedtowers, a maceman, and Burei Roughtips, an axewoman.

Burei was one of the Broken, just like Yrade - Draenei that had been devolved by demonic energies. Their mental faculties were not as sharp as those of uncorrupted Draenei, and they were also not as adept physically, being smaller, though also stockier.
They still retained their sanity, however, and their bond with their communities, unlike the even more corrupted form of the Draenei, called the Lost Ones.

Whereas the Broken remained with their brothers and sisters, the Lost Ones separated from the rest of the Draenei society, forming their own communities deep in the forests. The influence of the fel energies on their bodies was drastic - it would be extremely difficult for an outsider to tell that they were once Draenei.
Their intellect was also mostly replaced with a dangerously high level of cunning - the Lost Ones were often hired by various groups as assassins, for their seemingly innate ability to hide from the sight of other creatures, as well as their agility.

When they arrived at Yrade's house, he handed them their new equipment - Radan got a type of hammer called the "raven's beak", a one-handed weapon, with a spike on top of the hammerhead that allowed for stabbing attacks - very useful - and also a silver war hammer as a backup weapon.

The vindicator's orders were simple - clear out any nearby threats to the Crowded Gate, wheter they be outlaws, Troll or Corrupted Human aggressors, or dangerous beasts. Yrade put priority on a nearby Savanna Titan, Rorte Saffrongully the Fern of Drums, which made it's home in the shrine of Gorgepasses.
This beast was particularly bloodthirsty, having already killed fifty, including two of Yrade's aunts. Radan felt he and his group were still ill-prepared for this matter, so this was something they'd have to deal with much later.

Yrade handed the group a map with the approximate locations of the nearby camps and lairs. The peacekeepers headed out, in the direction of Hexcrater, a camp of Corrupted Human cultists of the Terrible Subtleties.
This group was performing dark rituals, in order to taint the land, and had to be stopped.

The journey took them around a day. Out in the Wise Steppe, the companions were ambushed by a pack of Worgs.

The ferocious beasts immediately set upon Burei, who defended herself to the best of her abilities - unfortunately, the weight of these beasts proved too much when three of them ganged up on her, and they started tearing her to shreds, while also breaking the bones in her body.

After killing two of the canine predators, Radan noticed that Burei had gone completely limp, with massive open gashes spurting blood. It appeared the wounds had been too much for her.

Trying to keep his composure, he dodged another Worg's attack, before countering with a hammer strike that immediately killed the beast.

Yrasu himself was dealing with the last Worg alive, but a slip-up cost him his right arm and his right ear. Radan quickly stepped in and killed the predator with a blow to the head.

The two Draenei made a stop in Eagleshoveled, a village. Radan told Yrasu to stay in this hamlet, for he was no longer in a fighting shape - in his and Burei's place, he recruited two peacekeepers of the Ropes of Deer, the local government - the swordswoman Ardar Tooljoys, and the axeman Akon Sealrace.

The three arrived at Hexcrater near sundown. Their presence was immediately sensed by the demon worshippers, and they immediately attacked.

The Corrupted Humans would often hold demonic rituals in order to make themselves more like the demons they worshipped. This resulted in several off-shots of them, each being progressively more and more demonic in appearance.

The regular Corrupted Humans still looked like normal humans, with the only noticable differences being glowing, red eyes and various, unnatural skin colours. Lacking confidence in their own abilities, they would often shy away from battle.

Some of them would draw too much energy during their rituals, becoming what are known as Fel Brutes. They were much larger than normal humans and most of their corrupted brethren, and very powerful physically - although, their mental faculties would suffer in this process, making them useful only for menial labor and combat. They would also grow spiky protrusions from their backs, a tail and two curling horns, which they often used for charging attacks.

The ones who took their time would at first become the Vile Ones - slightly larger than their uncorrupted brethren, their main features were spiky growths along their backs, arms and hands.

The next step of the mutation were the Felsworn - in addition to growing even larger, they would grow a tail and horns, like the Fel Brutes. Fortune had it that none were present at Hexcrater.
The last, most corrupted off-shot was something Radan thankfully didn't encounter yet - the Hellspawn, who were bigger than even the Fel Brutes, and had two wings that allowed flight, as well as six clawed tentacles.

The battle at Hexcrater was quite long - the camp consisted mostly of regular corrupted humans, although several fel brutes were also present, along with two vile ones - one of whom was the leader of this cult, Vaki Terrorswayed.
He proved to not be very skilled, and was easily slain with a single blow to the head. His death caused most of his brethren to scatter, except for the fel brutes, who grew more enraged and attacked ferociously.

While some of them were killed quite easily, due to their blind rage, the others were quite skilled and proved to be difficult opponents.

A particular macewoman managed to strike Ardar in her neck, causing her entire body to go limp and fall over - she eventually died of suffocation.

Another strike from the brute fractured Akon's hoof, mangling it and causing the axeman to go down on the ground from the pain.

In revenge, Radan stabbed the macewoman in the head with the spike of his hammer, the strength of the blow shattering the front of the former human's skull and tearing her brain, resulting in a shower of brain matter and foul yellow blood splashing over the Draenei.

The campgrounds were eventually cleared - a snowstorm swept through the area after the battle was over and Radan was helping Akon get up again.
As they were leaving, Radan noticed a book in one of the bags and decided to put it in his backpack, after giving it a quick skim.

The two went back to Eagleshoveled, where Akon decided to quit and mend his hoof wound. He recommended two others to Radan - Ranal Sackwaned, a spearman, and Murei Tombbreeches, an axeman.

Leaving the village, the three were ambushed by a rabid Worg, called Muddledloved by the local villagers.

Thankfully, this one had been alone, which made it a much simpler opponent than the pack of Worgs which killed Burei and crippled Yrasu.
It tried charging at Radan, although Murei showed readiness and quickly hacked two of the canine's legs, disabling them and making the wild animal fall to the ground.

This allowed Radon to finish the beast off with a stab to the head.

The next camp the three decided to take out was Cratercudgel, where a warband of Sand Trolls called the Stable Tightnesses made their base of operations.

The site was quite densely populated, although thankfully some of the raiders were asleep.

The Sand Trolls were one of the main civilized groups of Trolls - lanky, tall humanoids with tusks, that worshipped ancient, primal deities. Although they were originally part of a single race, they separated at a long time ago, before written history, and adapted to different environments, forming their own empires and civilizations. The Sand Trolls, as their name suggests, adapted to the deserts of the world, although some tribes would settle in savannas and the steppes, out of need for resources.

The camp mostly consisted of unarmed trolls, simple cannon fodder - although several armed warriors were also present.
While the wrestlers and the hammermen were quite simple enough to deal with, the main threat showed itself after several of the fodder trolls were already dealt with - a pikemaster, wielding a masterwork silver pike.

A glancing blow from the pikemaster caused Radan a minor scratch, however with two more precise strikes, she stabbed at Ranal's leg and left arm, apparently tearing some of the nerves in both, as he immediately fell over and lost hold of his shield.

Noticing a blow from Murei coming from the side, she ducked and countered with a stab straight through the chest.

The axeman's eyes bulged as he spewed some blood from his mouth. Ranal quickly got up with his remaining strength and kicked the female troll straight in the head, knocking out some of her teeth, which set her up for a strike from Radan - a loud snap of bone was heard as his hammer connected with the pikemaster's neck, and she fell to the ground, gasping for air.

Ranal then drove his spear into her stomach, pinning her to the ground, which allowed Radan to bash her skull, causing fragments of bone to scatter around the area.

The sight of the opponent who dealt him a mortal wound dying filled Murei with a sense of satisfaction, and he collapsed soon after, blood gushing from his chest wound.

The only other threat remaining in the camp was the chieftain of the warband himself, Zefan Aquasandal, a spearmaster wielding an ornate dark iron quarterstaff.

He was a fierce opponent, although nowhere near as difficult as the pikemaster. Radan managed to deal him several disabling blows - as it turned out, even with a broken arm, he was still a deadly fighter - a punch from him actually bent one of Ranal's arms at an unnatural angle.

He also proved to be quite deadly with just a shield, snapping Ranal's neck.

At the sight of this, Radan stabbed Zefan through the neck, and he fell, gurgling on his own blood, but still trying to fight, biting into Ranal's leg and shaking around, causing more blood to pour from the wound.
Radan simply bashed the chieftain one more time in the head, putting him down for good.

Ranal gasped for air one last time before going fully limp.

Having lost yet more companions, the surviving Draenei simply sat down on the grass and looked up to the sky, wondering how many more lives it will require to bring peace to this region.

OOC: Quite long for a first update, heh, but it was quite fun to do. Yeah, things are definitely gonna get a lot more brutal from this point on, as you can tell by the total death count in this part, along with how bloody in general it got. The area around this civ is quite a bit more savage than around Olith's starting civ, it seems - and as you can tell by the map early on there's a crapton of lairs around. Next update should be fun.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:19:51 am by ZM5 »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam

EDIT: Dammit, laggy double-post.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:17:22 am by ZM5 »

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Poor companions, seeking adventure and an adventurer comes and they step out of their door, fight and keep their feet until that one punch comes that they don't see coming that puts them down, hacks and severs them and then they're already swiped off to death or otherwise crippled for life.

This got brutal indeed. :o

PTW is an Abbreviation for the phrase Posting To Watch. It's an easy way to express interest in a Thread and let the Thread's Creator and/or Participants that You are watching the progress of the Thread. I'm sorry if I confused anyone.

Ah, I looked it up and only got "Pay To Win" and "Professional Time Waster". So I didn't know what the heck you meant. Damn ABAs (Another Bloody Acronym). Heh.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

The worgs sound cool.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam

The worgs sound cool.
They're pretty nasty, not the deadliest thing we'll probably be encountering, but as you saw they're massively dangerous in packs.

After resting at Cratercudgel, Radan gathered his equipment and started heading back to Greaterwork in order to tell Yrade about his progress.
Along the way, he stopped at Daystrap, the biggest city of the Crowded Gate, and also the capital. There, he visited the tavern, the Chestnut Candy.

He took this moment to order a drink and relax for a while, listening to a dwarf poet and baroness of Gatetomb, a dwarven hillock, Bim Sinkmachine, recite some poetry.

While waiting for his drink, he chatted with some of the other people at the tavern.

Soliafa Lensclasped was a Drakonid wrestler, a part of the Draconian race. They were one of the races compromising the Northern Coalition - a race of humanoid descendants of dragons. They consisted of several different castes, some closer to actual dragons, some not as much - the Drakonids, like Soliafa, were large humanoids with draconic features, such as horns and a tail - they were stronger physically than even the Drakonar, the Draconians most closely resembling the ancient wyrms. They weren't exactly unintelligent, unlike what most would presume - however, they knew their place in the Draconian society and so did most of the manual labor and fighting.

Rulatal Controlledwise was a jungle Troll. As their name suggests, they settled the tropical jungles of the world - their empires were some of the most successful out of any Troll civilization, partially due to the fact that they weren't as prone to conflicts with other races, like their desert or forest-dwelling brethren. Another jungle Troll was present at the Chestnut Candy, Sammorer Snarlconvents, a crossbowman and mercenary.

Two creatures in particular caught Radan's attention - the mechagnome, Grath Evenships, and Snorgum Kindledoil, an iron giant. They were part of a race of artificial, mechanical humanoids, collectively called the Iron Guardians - there were two other types of them, the Iron Dwarves and the Iron Vrykul. It is unknown who or what created them - archaeologists and scholars speculate that the makers of the world left them to stand watch over the ancient fortresses in which they dwell, for they may contain some secrets that would be dangerous in the wrong hands; they would rarely leave their vigils or start conflicts with other races, only partaking in defensive wars.

What these two were doing here, and how Snorgum managed to even enter the tavern, were things Radan could only guess - they appeared to be telling various stories about ages before written history, something that piqued the peacekeeper's interest.
Eventually, the tavern keeper, Yrado Jumpboard, handed Radan his drink.

It may not have been the best alcohol Radan had ever tasted, but it was certainly better than nothing.
Of course, with inebriation come lowered inhibitions, and so the peacekeeper started bragging about his exploits.

In spite of his slightly slurred delivery, his stories seemed to get the attention of atleast a few of the other tavern-goers.

In particular, this interested Soliafa and Sammorer, who recognized Radan as a fellow warrior, and decided to join him, despite his initial objections.
The wily Troll then showed his two other companions the location of the city's warehouse, which had quite a lot of weapons stashed away in it. As he mentioned, it was rarely guarded, and so they could arm themselves, should any of them need it.

Radan was somewhat put off by this, as he didn't want to be a thief - he was supposed to uphold the law. Regardless, he decided it was for the better if atleast Soliafa armed herself, as he didn't believe even her own natural strength would be enough to protect her.

She picked out an ornate dark iron sabre - Radan definitely didn't want to be on the receiving end of its edge. Unfortunately it didn't appear that a shield of any kind was available, and the three didn't want to waste time, in case any guards came around.

As the trio was leaving the town in the middle of a heavy rainstorm, they heard a loud snarl coming from the bushes. A hungry alligator was coming towards them, wanting to make the peacekeeper and his new allies it's next meal.

The starved reptile was definitely a lot bigger than what was normal for it's kind - had it been standing upright, it would have towered even over Soliafa.

The drakonid wasn't quite as adept with a sword as she was with her own two hands, and her lack of a shield made her pay the dearest cost.

Enraged, Radan simply swung wildly at the giant alligator, knocking it unconscious with a skull-fracturing strike, and stabbing at some of the points in its body, eventually causing the beast to simply bleed to death.

The remaining two simply left in silence for Greaterwork. Along the way, another nasty surprise was in store for them.

This was a creature Radan had never seen or heard of before - a nuckelavee. Regardless, he instinctively knew that this being was demonic in nature, and sensed nothing but ill intent from it.
It galloped straight towards the peacekeeper with a ghastly howl - Radan was surprised at it's speed, considering how large this demon was - one would have to stack ten human beings on top of each other to reach that size.

Not wanting to die at the hands of this wretch, he drove the spike through the rider's chest, causing horrid, black blood to spill out of the wound. The skinless, vaguely feminine figure on top of the horse's back gave a prolonged scream of agony as it's mount writhed and tried to keep standing.

As the demon was thrashing about, a swipe from its hand left Radan in a lot of pain - his hoof was torn away just by the force of the strike. He knew this couldn't be the end, not when this abomination has been already dealt a mortal wound.

His desperate scrambles paid off when the freak's legs eventually started to give in. It reached for Radan one more time before collapsing with a loud thud.

Sammorer helped Radan over to Greaterwork, where they stopped at Yrade's house. The vindicator was quite shocked to see his peacekeeper this beaten up, and missing a hoof, no less.

The broken offered Radan to rest at his house, an offer which he accepted - the peacekeeper slept for the rest of the day.
After waking up, Yrade asked him if he wanted to quit his job as a peacekeeper - Radan declined, his sense of duty too strong to allow him to do this before his job was finished. He simply asked Sammorer to hunt down any wild animal and craft a crutch out of its bones - it would have to do as a replacement for his hoof.

While Radan was waiting for his companion to return with his crutch, he told Yrade about all that went on in the last few days. The loss of so many Draenei lives deeply saddened the vindicator, although he believed that ultimately it was neccessary for the greater good - however, the erratic behaviour of animals, as well as the appearance of demons out in the open was definite cause for worry.

Eventually, the Troll returned, carrying in his hand a bone crutch for Radan. It would take some getting used to, but regardless it was better than having to crawl around on the ground.

As they were leaving for Hatredkin, another camp of corrupted human cultists, two worgs leapt from the bushes and immediately set upon the crossbowman, tearing him to shreds.

Not wanting to face any of his challenges alone, Radan simply struck them in their necks, breaking their spines and leaving them to suffocate.
He returned to Daystrap, believing the taverns would have some mercenaries for hire. He decided to hire only a broken axeman, Ilder Smithgrain. He appeared experienced enough for this journey.

Having arrived at the camp, Radan and Ilder sensed a powerful demonic presence - one of the cultists had become a Hellspawn, the strongest state that they could achieve. The fiend was perched on a tree, keeping watch over the nearby area.

The camp's leader was another Vile One - Oshev Malignsweat, a maceman wielding a spiked club. It also appeared that a Sand Troll mercenary had tried to take out these cultists, and was killed in turn.
The first few fel brutes that came after Ilder and Radan were dispatched easily enough - however, the cult leader himself was quite a formidable opponent, managing to break the axeman's neck with his club.

The last opponent to come after the two was the hellspawn, flying in from above - he was also wielding an iron pick, one of the objects these cultists had stolen from the nearby villages.

He was quite skilled at using it as well, managing to cleave off Radan's remaining hoof, followed by severing the rest of his leg below the knee.

Another strike hit the peacekeeper right in the hand, severing the nerves, and causing his hand to go completely limp - he quickly picked up his hammer with his shield hand and attempted to defend himself from the winged fiend.

The hellspawn divebombed once more, this time cutting off Radan's entire left leg.

Weariness began to set in from the blood loss and the prolonged battle, and Radan believed this would be the end of his journey.

Radan was ineffectively swinging his hammer at the airborne opponent, when another blow struck his left arm, making him lose hold of his shield and hammer.

The peacekeeper didn't even feel the blow to his chest, which pierced his middle spine. Darkness began to set before Radan's eyes and he felt himself drifting away...

OOC: Things got pretty nasty - first adventurer officially dead. Time for another poll - we'll go with different races than last time. Quite fortunate for me tbh since I'll be somewhat busy over the weekend and probably wouldn't be able to make another long update.

Edit: Whoops, screwed something up with the poll, thought you could renew it or something - here's the link on Strawpoll, unless someone knows if it's possible to actually edit the poll here.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:54:09 pm by ZM5 »

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Woah, that was even more brutal. That was literally the equivalent of taking one step out of your door and a worg comes sprinting biting your leg then drags you out in the open and ripping the leg off and then the rest of the worg pack follows and you are torn to shreds in less than a minute... holy - fuck.  :o

Voted for the Faceless One, (they're not that faceless, just Lovecraftian horror):

http://pre10.deviantart.net/d797/th/pre/i/2014/011/f/2/faceless_ones_by_goldenyak-d71uy1r.jpg
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:50:40 pm by Droggarth »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

For some reason the poll is closed already, but I vote Faceless One.
My mods and forum games.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6