Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which new (or returning) features do you want to see in Orc Fortress?

Combat magic (frost storms, rite of pain, etc.)
- 69 (27.5%)
Ritual magic (weather, timeflow, etc.)
- 53 (21.1%)
More high end industries locked by looted blueprints or trade (post ideas in thread?)
- 52 (20.7%)
GUI option to activate more nonplayable slaver civs (ashlanders, deep legion, etc.)
- 50 (19.9%)
Other (post ideas in thread?)
- 2 (0.8%)
Needs nothing, just fixes and tweaks are fine!
- 25 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode for Masterwork 2016 (New poll 6/30/16)  (Read 34141 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Also there are a lot of Uruks (5 in a fort of 21 for example) and far fewer Corsairs/Artisans/Dreamwalkers/Ologs than I expected.

Compared to Old Masterwork Uruks' physical stats distribution is tweaked so that the real extreme killers are possible, but quite more rare.  In return their population ratio was bumped up a bit.  I'd be interested in feedback on this change.  Common orcs have had their stats range moved down a little bit.  (I think the nerf parts had to happen -- life has gotten so much easier for our orcs since the early days of the mod, with constant swarms of mithril-wielding elves riding magma hounds, dwarves with giant bats and VCCs, etc.)

The other castes you mention should (still) be ~5% popratio, so 21 is too small of a sample size.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Frankly, I'd like to see an increase in Corsairs most; otherwise it is really hard to find the orcpower for a swashbuckling squad. Other observations are as follows.

1. Snaga seem a bit too strong/tough. When I stick my snaga in a squad with only copper daggers and leave them + a uruk squad with mithril katanas/iron+cobalt armour to train for a year or so, the snaga should not be outclassing the uruk in every damn way, it is just... ridiculous.
2. Uruks are a tad too common, though I prefer them to be rare champion units so I dunno if others prefer more of them.
3. Dreamwalkers are superfluous, though that should change if you're going to be doing the combat magic system.
4. Ologs are incredibly rare. In my past three forts, a combined total of perhaps 200 - 250 orcs, I've seen only one. Plus for some reason they can't hold noble positions? I mean, I can't even make them sergeants of their own squads.
5. Artisans seem a bit redundant - you can usually rely on at least one mood before year two which if you're lucky can net you a legendary bone carver who can pump out masterwork macuahitls/toothed spears to last you until a random guy learns to weaponsmith which means their learn rate boost (IIRC) is unneeded. Is there a stat difference between artisans and normal orcs? On that question, what are the stat differences for corsairs as well?
6. Blacksmoke furnace needs some new stuff - at the moment it's just a bunch of reactions that only ever need to used in extremely niche circumstances.

Finally, is it possible to turn that fixpet script off ingame? I mean, I'm not playing succubi here.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 11:48:16 am by Gamerlord »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Thanks for the feedback.  I really don't know what to think about your snaga report, though, the only thing at all they have going for them is (great) agility.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

I can't help but notice they have a geldable tag. Is that a new thing? I haven't noticed that before...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

It's new only in the sense that it's been there in the versions designed semi recently, since Toady introduced the mechanic.  It is possible for male castes to receive a particularly unlucky strike in combat now, i guess, although I don't think i've ever actually seen it. 

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Frankly, I'd like to see an increase in Corsairs most; otherwise it is really hard to find the orcpower for a swashbuckling squad. Other observations are as follows.
1. Snaga seem a bit too strong/tough. When I stick my snaga in a squad with only copper daggers and leave them + a uruk squad with mithril katanas/iron+cobalt armour to train for a year or so, the snaga should not be outclassing the uruk in every damn way, it is just... ridiculous.
2. Uruks are a tad too common, though I prefer them to be rare champion units so I dunno if others prefer more of them.
3. Dreamwalkers are superfluous, though that should change if you're going to be doing the combat magic system.
4. Ologs are incredibly rare. In my past three forts, a combined total of perhaps 200 - 250 orcs, I've seen only one. Plus for some reason they can't hold noble positions? I mean, I can't even make them sergeants of their own squads.
5. Artisans seem a bit redundant - you can usually rely on at least one mood before year two which if you're lucky can net you a legendary bone carver who can pump out masterwork macuahitls/toothed spears to last you until a random guy learns to weaponsmith which means their learn rate boost (IIRC) is unneeded. Is there a stat difference between artisans and normal orcs? On that question, what are the stat differences for corsairs as well?
6. Blacksmoke furnace needs some new stuff - at the moment it's just a bunch of reactions that only ever need to used in extremely niche circumstances.

Finally, is it possible to turn that fixpet script off ingame? I mean, I'm not playing succubi here.

[3] Well, the medical rate boosts; and things like focus, creativity, and analytical ability might count for something these days with librarys and books floating around.  And female DW are likely to have twins or triplets.

[4] Should be 5%.  If we bring the Uruk rate down a little bit, ologs and corsairs would go up, for sure.

[5]  Interesting. I don't disagree with anything you said, but find artisans really valuable, since they can fill in whichever crafting niche you *haven't* had moods in yet.  Corsairs and artisans have no stat differences currently, just the skill learn rates.

[6]  Agreed.  Perhaps, Mephs' wildfire ammo (if it's not there already)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

If you want the wildfire stuff,

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:HUMAN_STEEL_BOMB]
[NAME:Forge steel bomb casing]
[BUILDING:GUILD_ENGINEER_W:CUSTOM_SHIFT_J]
[REAGENT:steel:300:BAR:NONE:INORGANIC:STEEL]
[PRODUCT:100:10:WEAPON:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_BOMB:INORGANIC:STEEL]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:FORGE_WEAPON]

[REACTION:MAKE_WILDFIRE_BALLISTA]
[NAME:Make wildfire ballista ammo]
[BUILDING:GUILD_HEALER_E:CUSTOM_NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:BRIMSTONE]
[REAGENT:B:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:SALTPETER]
[REAGENT:C:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[REAGENT:lye:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:LYE]
[REAGENT:lye container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:lye]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[REAGENT:oil:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[UNROTTEN]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAP_MAT]
[REAGENT:oil container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:oil]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:SIEGEAMMO:ITEM_SIEGEAMMO_BALLISTA:INORGANIC:WILDFIRE]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]

[REACTION:MAKE_WILDFIRE_TRAP]
[NAME:Make wildfire bomb filling]
[BUILDING:GUILD_HEALER_E:CUSTOM_NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:BRIMSTONE]
[REAGENT:B:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:SALTPETER]
[REAGENT:C:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[REAGENT:lye:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:LYE]
[REAGENT:lye container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:lye]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[REAGENT:oil:150:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[UNROTTEN]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SOAP_MAT]
[REAGENT:oil container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:oil]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_TRAP:INORGANIC:WILDFIRE]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]

Bomb casings are officially ranged weapons, but extremely large, no one can pick the up as a weapon. They can only be used in weapon-traps.
Bomb fillings are the ammo. Currently only 1 type, but in future you might want to fill bombs with different explosives.
Wildfire ballista ammo is simple ballista ammo.

onload.init
Code: [Select]
modtools/projectile-trigger -material INORGANIC:WILDFIRE -command [ modtools/spawn-flow -material INORGANIC:WILDFIRE -location [ \\LOCATION ] -flowType Dragonfire -flowSize 2250 ]
modtools/projectile-trigger -material INORGANIC:WEB_AMMO -command [ modtools/spawn-flow -material INORGANIC:WEB_AMMO -location [ \\LOCATION ] -flowType Web -flowSize 1250 ]

Second ammo type spawns webs, they do web invaders, but dont stick to the ground, aka you cant farm silk from them. Best shot into trapavoid creatures that are standing on cage-traps.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arkantos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

For some reason I encounter a really weird crash in every orc fortress I play. Around the 21-23 of Felsite (third month) the game crashes. Because it's around the same date everytime I suspect that a migrant wave causes the issue? Is this a known bug?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

For some reason I encounter a really weird crash in every orc fortress I play. Around the 21-23 of Felsite (third month) the game crashes. Because it's around the same date everytime I suspect that a migrant wave causes the issue? Is this a known bug?
could you please upload this? I'd love to have a look.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

No, not a known bug.

arkantos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Where and how should I upload it then Meph? I'm kinda new to the forums and everything 😅

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Doesnt really matter as long as I can get to it :P

The saves are in dwarffortress/data/save/region x. You'd pack the region folder up in a zip or rar file and upload it. That can be in your dropbox, on megashare or depositfiles, or your google account, or on DFFD. Then you send me/post the download link.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Frankly, I'd like to see an increase in Corsairs most; otherwise it is really hard to find the orcpower for a swashbuckling squad.

I've thought about allowing Corsair training at the Freelancers' guild for a long time, but never did it because I dislike the free heal on transformation.  But maybe it doesn't matter -- Dreamwalkers, and guild dwarves, etc. get it and it's not really a problem.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

new transformation script does retain inventory and I think wounds as well. No free-healing anymore.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Oh!  Neat.
Well, then there will probably be Corsair training available with the next update ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13