Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population Explosion  (Read 2745 times)

doulos05

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Population Explosion
« on: May 31, 2016, 09:42:32 pm »

It happens every fort. I embark in the Spring, the first two waves come and I get up to 20 dwarves or so. I get myself a workshop level dug out and a level of housing and start working on fulfilling needs for the nobles and fortress requests. By the time the 2nd dwarven caravan comes, I have 60+ dwarves, an angry Mayor who now suddenly wants "Decent" quarters, dining facilities, etc, and 35 loafers standing around in a hastily set up Dining Hall/Meeting Area in an unused corner of my workshop. I'm short by 43 beds, 54 doors, 60+ cabinets, and haven't even begun to build a military despite now needing a Captain of the Guard AND a Militia Commander.

I want my fortress to grow more slowly. Like 5-10 dwarves a wave instead of 15-25.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Population Explosion
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 09:44:33 pm »

You can adjust the strict pop cap each wave to control it. I wish there was a specific setting for wave size.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Kryxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:47:31 pm »

Yes. I agree, it's why I modify the population to 20 for the first year. When the liaison comes and you are not at maximum they will send all 3 waves of migrants (for that year)  to you in order to hit the max ( and even go over).  I typically kill it for the whole year 1-2, then save and adjust it and then relogin and slowly keep it within reason.

I really wish there was an actual variable to control this better.  I typically get 30+ on the 3rd wave and 4th, and I haven't done much, as like you I'm just setting things up and I don't even grow wealth that much.

Also remember that even if you set children to nothing, they still come in migrant waves.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:49:03 pm by Kryxx »

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:48:51 pm »

The 3rd migrants has always generally been a large wave, often reaching into the 50s. Recorded as high as the 90s.

Its just a fact of life.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 01:44:42 am »

As others do, I change the pop cap after each wave (after the two first ones) to current pop+10, which usually results in 6-9 migrants. That provides a reasonable (in my view) growth rate. I continue that until I reach my target pop.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 06:27:10 am »

If you are running DFHack you can use this script to automatically limit the size of immigration waves:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To use it, copy the code and paste it into "hack/scripts/max-wave.lua" in your Dwarf Fortress directory. You can run it directly in the dfhack console ("max-wave 20 20") to set the population cap without reloading, or use it with repeat to create a rolling population cap (like "repeat -time 3 -timeUnits months -command [ max-wave 10 200 ]" for up to 10 migrants per season) to slow down immigration to whatever rate you desire. You can probably even set it up in an init file so it's entirely automatic.

doulos05

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 07:02:35 am »

If you are running DFHack you can use this script to automatically limit the size of immigration waves:

To use it, copy the code and paste it into "hack/scripts/max-wave.lua" in your Dwarf Fortress directory. You can run it directly in the dfhack console ("max-wave 20 20") to set the population cap without reloading, or use it with repeat to create a rolling population cap (like "repeat -time 3 -timeUnits months -command [ max-wave 10 200 ]" for up to 10 migrants per season) to slow down immigration to whatever rate you desire. You can probably even set it up in an init file so it's entirely automatic.
My entire dining room shall be edited to have the following engraving:
A masterful engraving of Loci crafting a script. Doulos05 is rejoicing. This engraving relates to the creation of a lua script for DF Hack in the year 2016. The script menaces with spikes of braces and parentheses.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 07:20:29 am »

This has been my main reason for quitting the game every time after a short time. It's just not fun for me to manage these giant populations out of nowhere and it's also no fun for me to micromanage the migration. I really wish there were a more natural way to control for migration.

doulos05

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 07:46:32 am »

This has been my main reason for quitting the game every time after a short time. It's just not fun for me to manage these giant populations out of nowhere and it's also no fun for me to micromanage the migration. I really wish there were a more natural way to control for migration.
That DF Hack script has a repeat feature. Just set it to reiterate every season and you'll only get a maximum of x dwarves per season (where x is whatever number you put in).

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 01:38:10 pm »

See, normally when there's a migrant wave, I drop what I'm doing and go through them all as they come in.

Unless they're really good at something I need, I activate all stone+woodworking, as well as farming. Then whenever I want people to do something, a horde of dwarves crawl out of the woodwork to do it for me. I feel like I have to manage them less if there's more of them.

If I want something REALLY specific, I can take one of these relatively unskilled migrants and say "you're now in charge of this I guess"
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 08:11:29 pm »

This has been a bug/feature since DF2010; in 40d, and 23a, you'd be lucky to get double digit immigration unless you were doing very very well or hit candy. The problem is caused by Fortress Created Wealth, and the first cavaran, basically, if you make anything and the cavaran makes it and leaves, they see "OMG, THEY'RE LOADED. SEND THE MIGRANTS!". Given my most recent fort, I'm wondering if the problem are prepared food stacks; its not hard to get a stack of food worth several thousand dwarfbucks, and it might causing immigration to go nuts.

I've more or less learned to deal with the stupidly large waves and they tend to go straight into my military. Unless I get a 20+ children wave. Which is what happened at my last fort.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 10:20:02 pm »

I modded in a mythical creature just to engrave a picture of you working on a 'script' thank you so much

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 01:35:33 pm »

@Loci

Any chance of pushing that script into DFHack?  (An init would be real nice too...)

I've seen a few of these threads and pasted that script into more than a couple of DF installs.

And thanks! :)

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 01:58:56 am »

All of you seem to want this script to limit migration wave sizes. I don't.
Holy Armok, can this be used to UNLIMIT them?!!
An end of Anvillocked, just "slightly" cheated? Hmnnn.
Nope, can't do it. I'll wait.  >:(

Goatmaan
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 02:10:16 am by Goatmaan »
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.