Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gauging interest: Trashworld.  (Read 2127 times)

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gauging interest: Trashworld.
« on: June 01, 2016, 02:49:59 am »

So recently I've been having a lot of trouble with my Frontier Fortress project due to the new updates to the game, and my interest has been waning in it a bit besides- but I've been bouncing a new concept around in my brain that I want to start working on as well. Trashworld is just a working title, but it conveys the general idea of what I want to do with the game pretty well- I want to create a very "far future" kind of Dwarf Fortress- tooled towards adventure mode. Think apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic, but not in the usual "post-war blasted wasteland" sense- rather, a world that has just steadily declined due to corruption, pollution, and the collapse of government/order.

There would be futuristic elements, but much of the world would be reduced to a rather horrific life of poverty in the newly lawless wastelands. Guns, powered armor, and other high-tech implements would be exceedingly rare- instead, you'd have gutterfolk scraping by a living with crude, leftover implements- crowbars, hatchets, baseball bats- armor knit together from scrap metal plates, motorcycle helmets in place of skullcaps.

Bodies would be tweaked to give combat a visceral, fast feeling, with lots of major arteries and quick bleedouts, so that every engagement feels like a tactical situation in which you fear for your life.

I'd also like to put a new spin on curses- no more simple vampires and werebeasts, but rather some different varieties of mutation- perhaps knocking over a statue could cause you to turn into a disgusting fish person who can breathe underwater, or an oversized troll-thing with an insatiable thirst for violence.

In general, I want to make the world more grimy, toxic, and unfriendly. If this sounds up your alley, and if you have any suggestions on how I might accomplish such a goal, feel free to leave some suggestions! (P.S, I'll still be working on Frontier Fortress a bit, but as previously mentioned, it's being a bitch about the new version for some reason.)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Re: Gauging interest: Trashworld.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 08:22:39 pm »

This sounds pretty awesome.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 12:07:09 am »

Sounds cool.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 04:40:26 am »

What about deons fallout mod? This is kinda right what you describe.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 01:15:16 pm »

Feel free to steal DFHack stuff from First Landing, it has lots of special stuff for workshops (replacing hardcoded vanilla workshops mostly)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 03:29:28 pm »

What about deons fallout mod? This is kinda right what you describe.

I intend to give it something of a different spin. Think NEO Scavenger. Plus, I think that mod has been dead for quite a while.

Feel free to steal DFHack stuff from First Landing, it has lots of special stuff for workshops (replacing hardcoded vanilla workshops mostly)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:50:01 pm by Cthulhu_Pakabol »

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 10:29:40 pm »

Made some progress today. Mainly changed creatures around to make them more in line with the mod, adding and removing some.

One major change: All megabeasts are now warmachines made out of steel, with different abilities. Essentially giant combat drones.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 10:41:08 pm »

Bodies would be tweaked to give combat a visceral, fast feeling, with lots of major arteries and quick bleedouts, so that every engagement feels like a tactical situation in which you fear for your life.

^I'm not a fan of this particular suggestion.  I feel like Adventure Mode is already too prone to insta-death situations. 

Maybe you could do some sort of recycling mechanic.  Like you come across a car's engine block, you can melt it down for steel and turn it into swords or armor, or bash it up and sew it together as scale mail.  That could make the game interesting in fortress mode too.  You could embark on top of a landfill, dig up valuable steel and aluminum, but watch out for diseases or mutagens or wild animals that have made the trash heaps their home. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 10:47:34 pm »

Maybe you could do some sort of recycling mechanic.  Like you come across a car's engine block, you can melt it down for steel and turn it into swords or armor, or bash it up and sew it together as scale mail.  That could make the game interesting in fortress mode too.  You could embark on top of a landfill, dig up valuable steel and aluminum, but watch out for diseases or mutagens or wild animals that have made the trash heaps their home. 

I definitely want to do something like that. I know I can make in-game crafting from DF Wanderer code, but I'll have to think about how I'll implement abandoned cars/trash heaps. Maybe just renamed minerals?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 11:04:16 pm »

I definitely want to do something like that. I know I can make in-game crafting from DF Wanderer code, but I'll have to think about how I'll implement abandoned cars/trash heaps. Maybe just renamed minerals?
It depends on how deterministic you'd like to map to be.

Nondeterministic: A fake mineral "landfill" that comes in large-cluster or even soil-layer shapes would give you a lot of raw material that can then be brought to a workshop (or sifted with an adv-mode reaction) to get random resources.  I think this is how relics work in masterwork.  If you want to go all DFHacky, I have random drops from mining in The Earth Strikes Back that could form the basis of finding crap while digging (low chance in stone, medium chance in soil, high chance in landfill).

Deterministic: In other words, someone who savescums will find the same thing in the same spot every time.  Here you need a lot of specific fake minerals to represent buried vehicles, trash heaps, etc., and each one can either be directly useful or a reagent to a reaction that makes something useful.

In either case, you can have single-tile clusters of boil-away stone that apply a syndrome.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 11:18:50 pm »

If the trash-heap is a mineral layer, you could have small clusters that only appear in trash-heaps, like how platinum appears in magnetite clusters.  You could possible arrange this so that the trash-heap itself is worthless, but you can find something like metal, plastic or toxic waste inside it. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 10:36:44 am »

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 07:56:36 pm »

I'm just about ready to do the first release- just one problem. I can't get the equivalent of the goblin civilization to spawn during worldgen, at all.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 08:20:53 pm »

Check your error logs.  Make sure that there's no typo in the header, filename [OBJECT:ENTITY] etc. 

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 08:23:57 pm »

Found the error! It was a dumb mistake, I feel pretty stupid- but the first release will be out shortly.
Pages: [1] 2