Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Optionally double number of dwarves for reclaim  (Read 3871 times)

Adam Mantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Optionally double number of dwarves for reclaim
« on: June 01, 2016, 06:37:07 pm »

It would be cool if there was the option to bring extra dwarves, and/or possibly mercenaries of any race (hired using embark points), to reclaims of ruined sites. So you'd have your seven regular dwarves plus maybe up to seven other soldiers and mercenaries.

I know I've had issues with reclaims with having insufficient personnell to get the fort up and running again. Plus there's a literary precedent for it (namely The Hobbit, the entire plot of which revolved around 14 characters trying to reclaim a dwarven stronghold. This may seemlike a poor argument to some other forumites, but for context bear in mind that the number of dwarves you bring to a new site is clearly derived from Snow White)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Optionally double number of dwarves for reclaim
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 07:42:15 pm »

What's to stop you from constantly reclaiming for skilled dwarves?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Adam Mantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 10:01:43 pm »

Well what's to stop you from reclaiming for more equipment?

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 10:34:41 pm »

Try editing the settings

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 11:24:00 pm »

The way things are going, I'd say it makes more sense to scrap point-based embarks altogether and just let you gather an embark party in Adventure mode.

Adam Mantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 11:29:56 pm »

The way things are going, I'd say it makes more sense to scrap point-based embarks altogether and just let you gather an embark party in Adventure mode.

Some people don't like to screw around in adventure mode, not all the time anyway.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 01:46:09 am »

The reclaim party used to be determine by the wealth of the fortress. Though thats been turned off for a bit. I imagine something like will appear eventually, when it becomes relevant to development.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 07:19:22 pm »

Well what's to stop you from reclaiming for more equipment?
You can already modify embark points, and those items come without quality. Customized dwarves are far more valuable.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 09:28:20 pm »

I think this suggestion is completely irrelevant as the next thing Toady has planned to work on is embark scenarios, which will obviously encompass this and many, many more improvements.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 09:27:16 pm »

I think this suggestion is completely irrelevant as the next thing Toady has planned to work on is embark scenarios, which will obviously encompass this and many, many more improvements.
Even so, it's worth discussing just how starting dwarves, migrants and so on could be handled in the Scenarios release. Like most planned features, I expect the exact details haven't been worked out yet.

The op mentions hiring mercenaries to join the starting crew. That's a cool idea, and would give the player a slightly better idea of the outside world as the numbers of mercenaries available in certain areas are revealed. Maybe even feature a selection process from a few historical figure mercenaries. Too much? Sounds fun to me.

Extra details that give the player more information about what's going on outside (besides an annual text dump) are really needed. It's a pity the whole rumours at the inn with maps wasn't implemented as originally planned.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:30:45 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 09:55:37 pm »

Little nitpick, but I don't think embark scenarios are coming anytime soon. It's 64 bit rewrite, the artifact release, then the myth generator release, followed by a vague learn towards property, laws and such.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:58:18 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 10:07:15 pm »

Little nitpick, but I don't think embark scenarios are coming anytime soon. It's 64 bit rewrite, the artifact release, then the myth generator release, followed by a vague learn towards property, laws and such.
Property, laws etc is part of the 'scenarios' release (in current plans). But yeah, a few years away probably depending on how long 'artifacts' release(s) and post clean-up/feature cycles take.