Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Mission: Complex Magic  (Read 12608 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Mission: Complex Magic
« on: June 02, 2016, 01:24:41 pm »

Ok supervets, here's how this goes down. Once you're ready, post here. At that point, we're gonna port you into rustverse. Once there you have to find a suitable power source and then return from whence you came. We're gonna teleport anything in the starting room back to our world once an hour, so after you've got the goods, you've gotta get it back to the starting room and wait to be ported home. Don't be surprised if you are greeted with weapons and self destruct devices. We're not entirely sure whats gonna be coming out of  that portal after all, especially with blind teleports from hostile dimensions.

In terms of rescue, the only way back is out through the starting room. You can go in and out as much as you want; but only from that one spot.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Mission: Complex Magic
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 01:26:08 pm »

If we have questions we'd want to ask before mission start, should we ask them here or in the on-ship thread?

EDIT: Guess I'll just ask here to speed things up.

1) One thing I'd like to do is leave a portal remote near the EUE entry point so that we can easily move there when we want to. However, I don't want to just leave it on continuously for fear of discovery or tampering by natives, so I'd like to know the price of a device with the following characteristics:
- can accept a universal remote and activate it (nothing fancy, just hitting the on/of button really).
- can be communicated with at range (doesn't need a strong transmitter, we can use the AWaCCP to ensure we can stay in touch. Hell, probably shouldn't send any data unless requested, to prevent the natives from tracing it easily).
- Is as stealthy as possible, to help it remain hidden. Visual cloaking at the very least.
- Some simple sensors, such as some very small pinhead cams and motion detectors, to detect if it's being picked up or manipulated.
- A very small remotely-detonated explosive that can trash the remote and render it inoperable and unrecoverable, in case an enemy does come across it. That way we can destroy it and not let the tech fall into their hands if we need to.

2) Would it maybe be possible to have a very small EUE port in a usb-sized data storage device on a shorter interval than 1 hour? Idea would be that it ports in every X minutes, stays in there for a little while before porting out so we could upload data and messages if we want. We could use this when we just want to communicate something to our home universe, without having to wait for the hourly cue. And since it's so much smaller, containment procedures would be easier, and it allows us to warn them when we are coming back with the big EUE so they can be extra vigilant when something comes back that wan't preceded by a warning from us.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 10:36:49 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 02:59:04 pm »

If we find something interesting and we want the eggheads to take a look at it, can we bring it back? Or are we going to have to do everything ourselves?

You know, in case we want to jack into a robot and check its memories. Although, if we have to keep them alive or within their universe to keep them active, I guess we'll just have to do some on site surgery.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 10:59:57 am »

If we find something interesting and we want the eggheads to take a look at it, can we bring it back? Or are we going to have to do everything ourselves?

You know, in case we want to jack into a robot and check its memories. Although, if we have to keep them alive or within their universe to keep them active, I guess we'll just have to do some on site surgery.
You can go back and forth as you please, but only from that one room, and only once an hour.

If we have questions we'd want to ask before mission start, should we ask them here or in the on-ship thread?

EDIT: Guess I'll just ask here to speed things up.

1) One thing I'd like to do is leave a portal remote near the EUE entry point so that we can easily move there when we want to. However, I don't want to just leave it on continuously for fear of discovery or tampering by natives, so I'd like to know the price of a device with the following characteristics:
- can accept a universal remote and activate it (nothing fancy, just hitting the on/of button really).
- can be communicated with at range (doesn't need a strong transmitter, we can use the AWaCCP to ensure we can stay in touch. Hell, probably shouldn't send any data unless requested, to prevent the natives from tracing it easily).
- Is as stealthy as possible, to help it remain hidden. Visual cloaking at the very least.
- Some simple sensors, such as some very small pinhead cams and motion detectors, to detect if it's being picked up or manipulated.
- A very small remotely-detonated explosive that can trash the remote and render it inoperable and unrecoverable, in case an enemy does come across it. That way we can destroy it and not let the tech fall into their hands if we need to.

2) Would it maybe be possible to have a very small EUE port in a usb-sized data storage device on a shorter interval than 1 hour? Idea would be that it ports in every X minutes, stays in there for a little while before porting out so we could upload data and messages if we want. We could use this when we just want to communicate something to our home universe, without having to wait for the hourly cue. And since it's so much smaller, containment procedures would be easier, and it allows us to warn them when we are coming back with the big EUE so they can be extra vigilant when something comes back that wan't preceded by a warning from us.

We can give you a device like that for a few tokens (3-4) but bear in mind that if a critter finds it, you're kinda out of luck.

No. The EUE anchors are fridge sized due to their complexity and internal mechanics. We can't make them any smaller.  And the reason we're doing this port once an hour is out of fear of something noticing us. Because if something notices us, there's the chance that you might return to base and find that it is now a giant hive of killbots.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 11:08:37 am »

We can give you a device like that for a few tokens (3-4) but bear in mind that if a critter finds it, you're kinda out of luck.
Why, exactly? If the thing has explosives to destroy the remote the second it senses it's being tampered with, shouldn't that be a good failsafe? Or what exactly do you refer to with 'if a critter finds it, you're kinda out of luck' ?

No. The EUE anchors are fridge sized due to their complexity and internal mechanics. We can't make them any smaller.  And the reason we're doing this port once an hour is out of fear of something noticing us. Because if something notices us, there's the chance that you might return to base and find that it is now a giant hive of killbots.
We do have small EUE's for communication though, remember? Even if they can only port fridgetag+usb, that's still useful. And if the comms-tag ports back to a room that instantly incinerates the place when anything else comes back with it (together with the other precautions M26 has) we should be fine. But sure, a no is a no, won't press it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 11:12:10 am by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 08:14:40 pm »

Why, exactly? If the thing has explosives to destroy the remote the second it senses it's being tampered with, shouldn't that be a good failsafe? Or what exactly do you refer to with 'if a critter finds it, you're kinda out of luck' ?

We do have small EUE's for communication though, remember? Even if they can only port fridgetag+usb, that's still useful. And if the comms-tag ports back to a room that instantly incinerates the place when anything else comes back with it (together with the other precautions M26 has) we should be fine. But sure, a no is a no, won't press it.

I mean it would destroy it.

And "Small" EUEs are not...that small. They're relatively small compared to the original but...well carrying them around ain't a thing.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 09:03:13 pm »

((Fridge+USB is big, but Miya's in an avatar.  He could put a refreshment fridge in his cockpit, in case he gets thirsty during a battle.

Besides, he doesn't need to carry it.  Hell, he doesn't even need it to be inside the facility; put a QEC inside Miyamoto, and attach a second to the fridge.  It can be ported anywhere in the universe, and it'll work.  That's what M26 does.

If you're gonna limit communication, it needs to be for game reasons.  You've already handed it to us in-universe. :-\ ))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 04:38:06 am »

((Didn't your probes get insta-gibbed when you tried porting them somewhere else in that universe? The same reason we can't port in gunships?

And there's also the problems that frequent portings are more easily noticed and have more chances of bringing back something weird and bad with them. So it's more of a matter of "Steve doesn't want to take unnecessary risks and bring yet another Alien god in our universe or compromise our teleporters. You're super vets, you can survive on your own without a babysitter for a damn hour."))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 07:07:21 am »

((Hmm.  I thought we simply hadn't sent any probes a great distance away from the origin point in Rustverse, but apparently Ozarck did send a probe 1000 miles away, and it did not telefrag.  I should probably update the wiki, but I'm tired and it's probably irrelevant anyway.

In theory, if there were space to send probes to, we could just transfer probes thousands of light years in a direction that won't intersect another galaxy.  The inherent inaccuracy and speed of the transfers would practically ensure nothing could home in and hitch a ride to our own universe.  Sure, there'd be a chance of it happening, but that chance is minor in comparison to the chance of timely communication being useful.

...Not that it's relevant, as we've already established that the universe is probably rust all the way through.  I just like to argue.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 05:54:11 pm »

((Yeah, if we wanted we could find a way to safely have comms to our universe, but I'm fine with foregoing that if that's what pw wants.))

But we could be relatively certain that they couldn't easily take control of it, bar extreme circumstances?

Also, do we get any fancy containment box to store this power source in, or should we just dump it in the pocket dimension? Oh, and all of our various techno thingamabobs work in there, right? 

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:11:53 am by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 12:17:48 pm »

((Fridge+USB is big, but Miya's in an avatar.  He could put a refreshment fridge in his cockpit, in case he gets thirsty during a battle.

Besides, he doesn't need to carry it.  Hell, he doesn't even need it to be inside the facility; put a QEC inside Miyamoto, and attach a second to the fridge.  It can be ported anywhere in the universe, and it'll work.  That's what M26 does.

If you're gonna limit communication, it needs to be for game reasons.  You've already handed it to us in-universe. :-\ ))
It's not the anchor he's talking about but an EUE. He could not carry an EUE with him, even a small one.

And again, the reason why we're not just rapidly moving things in and out, as I said, is that doing that is going to generate attention. We can do that if you want but if something goes wrong then you're stuck there forever. 

((Yeah, if we wanted we could find a way to safely have comms to our universe, but I'm fine with foregoing that if that's what pw wants.))

But we could be relatively certain that they couldn't easily take control of it, bar extreme circumstances?

Also, do we get any fancy containment box to store this power source in, or should we just dump it in the pocket dimension? Oh, and all of our various techno thingamabobs work in there, right? 

Control it? No. About the worst that could happen is kill bots infest your pocket dimension if you leave it open.

You get a fancy box. Anything non-origin should work.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 12:26:01 pm »

I'm ready when everyone else is. I forgot to post because weekends.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 05:29:48 pm »

Ready.  ((Should probably check EQ... and level up, because I'm not sure I did for the mission prior either.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 04:09:15 am »

I think everyone's ready to go.

Just in case it matters for the teleportation, I'd like to have my light shield to activate and keep my magic eater outside of my cockpit.

Edit: Unless they haven't tested magic eaters with the teleportation machine, in which case they should probably do that first. Don't want to end up like a Star Trek episode and have everyone become some weird chimera.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:12:35 am by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 10:55:05 am »

There's some more stuff I could think of in terms of prep, but they're rather minor, so let's get going!

Mission Starto!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6