Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beardbeaches: A Tavernfort Action Report with pics  (Read 1170 times)

Keaman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Beardbeaches: A Tavernfort Action Report with pics
« on: July 21, 2016, 07:03:07 pm »

Hey all, I had been posting this elsewhere, and the response has been positive. Thought I would bring it home to the forums for all the people here who love tales of High Dwarven Weirdness.

What this is:  An action report/ story fort told through short text snippets and in-game gifs, inspired by the bloody freaking amazing Roomcarnage saga (which has been my favorite way to read a Fort story that anybody has come up with yet.  I have a different kind of story going on over here, though.).

Fort is in vanilla 0.43.4.  No mods or anything.

The details: 

The world generation was tweaked to produce extreme environments and savage biomes; the entire world-spanning ocean is Terrifying. Pretty much every society seems to be on the brink of collapse due to giant animal attacks and whatnot and iron (and steel) seem to be rare.

The fort is located on a remote peninsula of Joyous Wilds surrounded by the Terrifying Ocean.  So we have things like gentle Giant Hamsters and evil Zombie Albatrosses murderizing each other and then being fed to the bards coexisting on the same map.  I haven't seen a zombie unicorn happen yet but with the way things go here, it's probably only a matter of time.

The original conceit behind the fort was to become the beachfront entertainment capital of this crapsack world.  So Beardbeaches doesn't turn down any visitors (at least not until the fps starts to suffer for it.  200 or so combined visitor/citizen bards and climbing!).

Meanwhile the dwarves work behind the scenes to keep the taverns clean, safe, and stocked with booze,  which is complicated by Every Giant Bird That Exists, unfortunate zombie reanimations, and booze fights. And also poor gameplay choices on my part.

Hope you'll check it out.  I have ten chapters so far, linked below, and if I can, I will start migrating some of that from Imgur to this thread so people don't have to go anywhere to see it.  Juggling this with work and other unrelated projects though, so we'll see.

Comments/questions/gripes/requests are always welcome.

I: Zombie Birds and OSHA Violations: http://imgur.com/a/821gU
II: Return of the Return of Doc Furnace: http://imgur.com/a/IvD2J
III: Military Incompetence and Ballista Obsessions: http://imgur.com/a/0t7H9
IV: The Great Outdoor Fight: http://imgur.com/a/zfeAX
V: Blameswindled and the Thong of Command: http://imgur.com/a/DgMWJ
VI: Unlucky Scholar and the Hairiest Dimetrodon:  http://imgur.com/a/SxMIK
VII:  When Megaconstructions Fall Down.  Repeatedly: http://imgur.com/a/CYKjI
VIII: The Leech, the Spider, the Worst Lever Room: http://imgur.com/a/R0CXO
IX:  The Zombie Beach Party: http://imgur.com/a/PTSht
X:  Spider Traps and the Memorial Death Coaster: http://imgur.com/a/JUpEy

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Beardbeaches: A Tavernfort Action Report with pics
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 07:21:48 pm »

Finally, some other Dorf who knows the pearly demons for the true menace they really are.

Keaman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 07:36:54 pm »

Finally, some other Dorf who knows the pearly demons for the true menace they really are.

Me and unicorns go way back.  Waaaaaay back.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 11:47:56 am »

While I don't have gif recording setup nor any knowledge of Roomcarnage, I do have know this series has given me a fun read and it does remind me of Tuftedstockades.

Something I found remarkable, from my playstyle:

Your solution of throwing more dwarves at problems. I can understand saccing mercaneries and war animals. But I'd probably have savescummed when the good doctor drowned, let alone on the loyalty cascade :)

Instead of removing tavern keeper, placing coffins into tavern....I'd never have come up with that  myself.

Despite this, thanks to the birds, you make heavy use of marksdwarf wrestlers. And even attempt to defend them with fortifications! How mysterious u.u

Some things that are not mysterious to me, though:

Your pending crocsplosion might be still pending due the fact that a dude crocodile isn't next to lady crocodile. Btw, if you do, I recommend ensuring that the fertilized eggs, a cage and a dwarf with food and booze stockpiles are walled up in there before eggs hatch in a season. I've heard it mentioned that ramp access instead of floor access might also help with FPS.

The Giant wooden thing, being mostly tracked floor, is going to most likely maim 1 goblin, then have the minecart stop since it isn't on a valid ramp or roller. For safely stopping it, you could deconstruct one of the anti-derail walls.

I think Sud had no room to throw fireballs onto mercaneries in the stairwell.

When it comes to magma piston, a third way that strikes my mind: Could designate all the floors with d-dig, then do a circle cave-in on them to remove them (use a support on piston attached to ceiling to ensure you can then put bridges where desired). That said, with your fast method you're already pretty much done!

Some things still are:

Lack of unicorn meat industry. Do you just want to capture all unicorns of the world?

Still untamed old hell. Classic "use clever traps" & "throw dwarves at it" problem, seems right up your alley. Are you too busy otherwise?

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 07:45:54 pm »

PTW.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Keaman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 10:28:26 am »

While I don't have gif recording setup nor any knowledge of Roomcarnage, I do have know this series has given me a fun read and it does remind me of Tuftedstockades.

Hey, thank you for reading and for the kind words!  I'm checking out Tuftedstockades right now, and it is looking awesome.

Your solution of throwing more dwarves at problems. I can understand saccing mercaneries and war animals. But I'd probably have savescummed when the good doctor drowned, let alone on the loyalty cascade :)

Instead of removing tavern keeper, placing coffins into tavern....I'd never have come up with that  myself.

Despite this, thanks to the birds, you make heavy use of marksdwarf wrestlers. And even attempt to defend them with fortifications! How mysterious u.u

Heh, yeah.  This wasn't my usual playstyle too long ago, but I decided to try playing a little looser.  Throwing more dwarves at the problem has worked distressingly well, at the cost of some pretty ridiculous deaths.

I'm pretty sure the skilled wrestlers in the marksdwarf squads is due to my mismanagement of the fortress guard.  They have other jobs, and even though they're always supposed to carry their crossbows, sometimes they don't. Or mercenaries pick up the assigned weapons when they're in the stockpile. So when it's giant bird-fighting time, some of them show up unarmed and start putting crows in headlocks.

Your pending crocsplosion might be still pending due the fact that a dude crocodile isn't next to lady crocodile.

The Giant wooden thing, being mostly tracked floor, is going to most likely maim 1 goblin, then have the minecart stop since it isn't on a valid ramp or roller. For safely stopping it, you could deconstruct one of the anti-derail walls.

I think Sud had no room to throw fireballs onto mercaneries in the stairwell.

Yeah, this is all definitely my ignorance showing; I hadn't played in a while and forgot how breeding worked.  I am going to take your advice and move the crocs to a specially-set up area downstairs with an attendant.

Minecarts, I fundamentally don't understand minecart collision physics, but I realized about the same thing when the giant track was almost completed.  Probably it's going to spectacularly fail to work in the middle of the siege as you say. I'll figure something else out, and then reconstruct it so it works better.  Thanks for the tip on the deconstruction, that probably saved a dwarven life :)

Also, didn't know that fire-breathers need a tile of space to breath.  Lucky that the mercs caught him on the stairs then.

Lack of unicorn meat industry. Do you just want to capture all unicorns of the world?

Still untamed old hell. Classic "use clever traps" & "throw dwarves at it" problem, seems right up your alley. Are you too busy otherwise?

I've got something in mind for the unicorns besides eating, although that'll still be their ultimate fate.  Right now I'm just enjoying the room full of blinking "U"s, although that nearly bit the fortress in the butt when the gremlin showed up and started opening cages.

Hell is next after the magma piston.  I'm going to try something epic, and when that doesn't work I'm going to throw clever traps and dwarves at it ;)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 11:26:01 am »

Throwing more dwarves at the problem has worked distressingly well, at the cost of some pretty ridiculous deaths.
Indeed. And there isn't even a waterfall or royal rooms, I think!
Also, didn't know that fire-breathers need a tile of space to breath
Well, I guess they do. However, at least marksdwarves are supposed to be able to shoot downwards through stairs, and now I'm reminded how I have had fire imps also decide that only drafted military dwarves were worthy of setting the surface on fire, with otherwise just regular punches and kicks between them and civilians.
Right now I'm just enjoying the room full of blinking "U"s, although that nearly bit the fortress in the butt when the gremlin showed up and started opening cages.
If you catch the gremlins, perhaps you can spell out gUTeÑBerg.