Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FORTAL KOMBAT! [Update 0.5: There is no knowledge that is not power]  (Read 20868 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

Having defeated many worlds before, the Emperor of Outworld has opened up a portal to a new realm ripe for konquest...

FORTAL KOMBAT!!!

Because let's face it, DF combat has always reminded you of the original ultraviolent video game.

This is a fully modular mod intended to be inserted into vanilla or any modded game that needs some spicing up (humans are not included, as they are already in vanilla).  The denizens of Outworld and its merged realms tend to be fairly warlike and are overall more physically threatening than the vanilla races - they are all human-sized or larger, and many have some special power.
The main focus of this mod is Adventure Mode.  Outworlders are now playable in fort mode, but they don't really have anything special.

Playable races:

Edenians: Long-lived and graceful demigods with high agility and kinesthetic sense.  About one in ten Edenians have special powers, which come in four varieties: Aeromancers can propel enemies and inflict bleeding with whirlwinds, Hydromancers can spawn water and propel enemies that are touching water, Pyromancers can summon fireballs, and Shadowbloods can use Shadow power to boost their fighting skill for a short time.  Ordinary Edenians have slightly higher stats and can enter combat trances.

Outworlders: A strong and brutal race with high strength and toughness.  They also have access to some extremely powerful pets, notably Tormentors - humanoid monsters roughly the size of a giant.  Their sphere alignment also tends to provide them with a fair number of secret slabs.

Cryomancers: Hailing from the frigid tundra, cryomancers can freeze their enemies' blood with their Freeze attack.

Shokan: Big, four-armed brutes with violent dispositions who live in underground kingdoms.  They are excellent wrestlers who prefer to talk with their fists, though their meager armor leaves them open to attack.  They come in two varieties: the aristocratic Draco caste is semi-immune to dragonfire, while the peasant Tigrar have a good sense of smell and can enter rages in combat.

Centaurians: Centaurs with horns who live in small villages.  They are huge and powerful fighters, but cannot climb and lack armor.

Saurians: Reptilian humanoids with acidic saliva.  They are stealthy ambushers and quite agile.

Moroi: A race of flying vampires.  Though not truly evil, their bloodsucking habits make them the frequent target of purges and they are usually forced into the catacombs when trying to live among other races.

Tarkatans: Savage fiends with hardened blades in their wrists.  They have excellent physical stats but don't make friends well.  They are prone to flying into violent rages.  Note that a Tarkatan's blade attack will escalate combat to Lethal.  Male Tarkatans have somewhat larger blades than females.

Chaosrealmers: Hailing from the Realm of Chaos, these half-crazed beings are immune to fear and pain, but they have an intense need to argue and cause trouble, and will suffer distraction penalties if they don't.  Their truly bizarre ethical code makes them rather hard to predict or trust.

Seidans: A strict race hailing from the Realm of Order, they are the polar opposite of Chaosrealmers in nearly every way.  Their civilization has extremely harsh ethics and will punish even the slightest offence.  It isn't uncommon to see them take over large parts of the world.

Osh-Tekk: Morally ambiguous sun worshipers.  Their combat potential rises if they are wounded in battle.

Kytinn: Wasp-like humanoids.  Most are male, and the females generally become the "hive queen" of their village.  The males are basically pushovers, but are dangerous in large groups and tend to be hostile towards outsiders.  The queens are much more dangerous, possessing four venomous stingers and the ability to spray resin webs.  They can also inject their enemies with eggs - if this happens, the creature will hatch into a Kytinn queen after a week of agonizing pain.

Naknada: Greedy six-armed item thieves.  Thanks to their multiple limbs, they can wield many weapons at once, but they aren't as big as the Shokan.  On the other hand, they are capable of wearing human-sized armor.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: FORTAL KOMBAT! The Outworld Invasion [initial release]
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 10:29:34 am »

How did you make the Cryomancers freeze people?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 10:53:06 am »

Heh, damn, I was hoping to mod in the Shokan as well, considering I already modded in Tarkatans and the Osh-tekk in my own modpack. Still, nice to see other MK fans here.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 01:10:58 pm »

Heh, damn, I was hoping to mod in the Shokan as well, considering I already modded in Tarkatans and the Osh-tekk in my own modpack. Still, nice to see other MK fans here.

Actually, I wasn't making an MK mod at first, I was just trying to come up with some interesting humanoid variants that specialized in distinct playing styles.  I made a stealthy, venomous reptilian, a large four-armed wrestler, and a savage, agile creature with natural bladed weapons before I realized that they looked a little familiar and, well, you know what happened next.

What did you do for the Osh-tekk?  Not really familar with the newer games beyond watching a few videos (the Kytinn seemed particularly interesting).  Something with blood and/or sunlight?

How did you make the Cryomancers freeze people?

Experimenting with material properties.  The hard part isn't freezing people, actually, it's freezing people without destroying the cryomancer's own clothes in the process.  A liquid glob of a substance with a very low melting point and no boiling point, and a high SPEC_HEAT did the trick.  (Oddly, fixed temperature doesn't work.  Not sure why.)  If you don't need your creatures to wear clothes, you can have more success using trailing vapor or even just having a very low body temperature, like my yuki-onna.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 02:31:07 pm »

What did you do for the Osh-tekk?  Not really familar with the newer games beyond watching a few videos (the Kytinn seemed particularly interesting).  Something with blood and/or sunlight?
I gave them a self-buff that triples strength and agility, doubles toughness, improves combat rolls and adds NOFEAR temporarily while also temporarily making them more prone to anger and violence, but on the other hand causes some bleeding from the chest area. Basically Kotal's Blood Sacrifice ability. It's not entirely unique in my worlds as a lot of other races have similar self-buffs, just not as good stat increases, but with no drawback either. They're larger overall than humans too.

I'd love to do something with sunlight but it's not really possible right now.

I also gave their civ a series of unique Aztec-themed weapons - macuahuitls (technically not unique since some of the primitive races from my mods use them as well - gnolls, centaurs, etc.), war sickles, tepoztopilli's (spear with a serrated head like the macuahuitl), the atlatl (ranged weapon) and the quahololi (a mace-type weapon).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:36:53 pm by ZM5 »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 02:56:20 pm »

I gave them a self-buff that triples strength and agility, doubles toughness, improves combat rolls and adds NOFEAR temporarily while also temporarily making them more prone to anger and violence, but on the other hand causes some bleeding from the chest area. Basically Kotal's Blood Sacrifice ability. It's not entirely unique in my worlds as a lot of other races have similar self-buffs, just not as good stat increases, but with no drawback either. They're larger overall than humans too.

I'd love to do something with sunlight but it's not really possible right now.

I also gave their civ a series of unique Aztec-themed weapons - macuahuitls (technically not unique since some of the primitive races from my mods use them as well - gnolls, centaurs, etc.), war sickles, tepoztopilli's (spear with a serrated head like the macuahuitl), the atlatl (ranged weapon) and the quahololi (a mace-type weapon).

Ooh, a cast from hit points buff... never done that before.
You can make creatures receive effects from being above or underground using the CAVE_ADAPT timer tag in a syndrome.  No day/night cycles, though.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 03:43:57 pm »

I haven't messed too much with the CAVE_ADAPT and other timers - my main problem is that AFAIK there's no way for a creature to permanently have a certain type of syndrome, so I couldn't make them have something like "they're weaker at night or whenever the sun is obscured, but they grow much stronger in daylight".

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 04:35:19 pm »

I haven't messed too much with the CAVE_ADAPT and other timers - my main problem is that AFAIK there's no way for a creature to permanently have a certain type of syndrome, so I couldn't make them have something like "they're weaker at night or whenever the sun is obscured, but they grow much stronger in daylight".

You can make a creature permanently have a syndrome by making them secrete a substance that causes the syndrome on contact.  (Internal organs can have secretions if you don't want it to be on the outside of the body.)  I have made a couple of plant creatures that are stronger outside, using 'pollen' to inflict the syndrome.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 04:56:32 pm »

Ah, well. I'm somewhat against that method myself, since it'd be somewhat strange to have a covering of something, even on an internal organ, that would grant that buff.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 05:11:58 pm »

Well, if they get power due to contact with their own blood, or through an interaction, it could be that this power only activates above ground.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FORTAL KOMBAT! [Update 0.2: Order and Chaos]
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 04:23:13 pm »

This update adds Seidans, Chaosrealmers, and Osh-tekk, as well as adds some changes to other races - Centaurians now have a proper civilization, Outworlders make dark fortresses while Moroi make hamlets, and a few ethics and values have been altered.  There is also a language file shared by all races, it is mostly based on Chinese with some words from other languages mixed in.  I might alter it some more later to be more of a chaotic amalgamation of mostly Eastern languages.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 09:27:00 am »

Accidental Posting
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 10:23:25 am »

Fortal Kombat. Pun... can't... I just...

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 10:33:17 am »

Fortal Kombat. Pun... can't... I just...

Best female character ever.

Also plot twist: IndigoFenix is actually Johnny Cage.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 12:59:03 pm »

You can make a creature permanently have a syndrome by making them secrete a substance that causes the syndrome on contact.  (Internal organs can have secretions if you don't want it to be on the outside of the body.)  I have made a couple of plant creatures that are stronger outside, using 'pollen' to inflict the syndrome.
I thought something on a timer would be "permanent" so long as it doesn't have an end-time.  If that doesn't work (haven't tried it) you can also give them a pointless symptom that lasts forever, like making them take 3/4 damage from slade (this I have confirmed).  That will keep the syndrome active, which is helpful for interaction immunity or DFHackery based on the presence of the syndrome.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: [1] 2