Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's a shaggy mumak?  (Read 2290 times)

Polydiv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What's a shaggy mumak?
« on: June 10, 2016, 02:16:52 am »

I caught a couple in cage traps, and they weigh thousands of Urists and are worth over 3000 when traded! What makes them so special? Or are they just expensive because they are so big?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: What's a shaggy mumak?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 02:35:19 am »

They are the elephants from LOTR. Mumakil are elephants, and shaggy indicates that they are indeed shaggy.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Polydiv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 02:43:21 am »

Thanks for the quick answer. I notice they are war-trainable. Do they make good war animals? What kind of opponent can they expect to take on?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 02:46:34 am »

They are as big as an elephant, with six tusks. Lorewise they were siege weapons on the Orcish past. So yes, they are lovely. I had a single mumakil child decimate an early goblin siege (then die from infection later). They are much as they are in LOTR, big and with tusks, able to crush enemy soldiers into the ground.
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 02:50:42 am »

Yeah, I think at their biggest, they are 20% larger than the average elephant, (5000000) at about 7000000 cubic centimeters. Not the biggest things, but unless you are facing off against Giant Elephants regularly (Armok help you if you do), yeah, they likely could squash at least early invaders with little qualm.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 02:53:33 am »

Plus I think elephants (normal ones) vs Mumakil in a straight fight, the mamakil would win. Because the Mumakil have six tusks to the Elephant's two, but that claim is unsupported by testing nor by raw diving

Polydiv

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 02:54:00 am »

Time to have these beasts rampaging my fort after my animal trainers spend a whole season storing item in stockpile. Thanks for the answers!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 03:35:44 pm »

"A huge shaggy mammal with a trunk and six long tusks, legend has it these beasts were used as terrifying assault weapons by orcish armies in the forgotten past."

In addition to other comments so far, they are shearable and Prone to Rage.