- 4 (30.8%)
I am indifferent to this idea, or i don't understand it
- 0 (0%)
I dont like parts of this idea
- 2 (15.4%)
I oppose this idea
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Firemaking  (Read 1519 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Firemaking
« on: June 03, 2016, 02:06:06 pm »

It is strange that dwarves can burn coal and forge swords, but cannot start a fire. I suggest that two new activity areas be added:
  • Fire field. Dwarves would set fire to any flammables within the selected area. This would allow the player to remove unwanted vegetation without wasting time chopping trees and moving logs, set fields of fire in preparation for a siege, and it would allow the creation of bonfires, if the same activity area could be designated a wood storage area without causing the dwarves to remove the wood from the fire.
  • Firefighting areas. This would instruct the dwarves to dump water or sand on any fires within the selected area until all fires are extinguished.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Dr. Sazar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mortiest Morty
    • View Profile
Re: Firemaking
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 02:27:34 pm »

I like this idea. I always wanted to make fireplaces out of burning lignite, but the only way to ignite it was with magma or a fire-starting creature, which was pretty inconvenient.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 02:26:24 am »

This was my first post. I am bothered by the fact I have to use lava to melt ice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Tristan Alkai

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE_CURIOSITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 11:41:20 am »

Most of the fires I would start would be designations, rather than activity zones. 

Fires to set things up for slash and burn tend to need repeating periodically, and I don't know how that interface would work. 

Another issue would be collecting the ash correctly (to produce lye, potash, etc.). 

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 09:32:47 am »

I voted on disliking parts of this idea.

Its a noble concept, but doesn't really add a lot practically to the game in zoning a area of ground and saying "set this on fire" within the context of Dwarf fortress.

What i WOULD be in favour of though is a trap that dispels fire in a short radius via a use of a reagent (some coal/lignite and some other property) that can be ramped up by supplying different reagents to fuel (fire snake extract being the end-tier for inextinguishable, melting flames, essentially napalm) to provide a burst of fire under the feet of enemies (that can be dodged naturally).

Rig up your pyrotechnics and then you have a suitably dwarfy solution to spreading fires from the safety of your fort, wait for everything to regrow, then keep it around as a siege-buster on a flick of a switch, not foolproof but effective.

The extinguishing area is a bit better than the firestarting area. Since it is practical and setting up a pond (or praying for rain) wont achieve much. Say if a wildfire rushes through from the map edge (in the same vein as the dwarfmoot discussion on blocking one section of a river will affect further down the river path), you'll want to combat that somehow with a quick response.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 01:41:55 pm »

I like the idea of being able to extinguish fires. Setting fires I'm not so sure about, since the AI has a poor grasp of "fire bad".
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text