Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: ☼Masterwork Mod☼ - Romomon, The Ageless Realms (Multi-race succession world)  (Read 31220 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Romomon, the Ageless Realms.

A land of boundless ambition, of imperial wars and of vast spaces open to intrepid pioneers.

Spoiler: world map (click to show/hide)

The westlands have been overrun by swarming goblins, while naga and demons dominate island city-states in the Sea of Honor.  Swaths of unclaimed and unexplored realms await: from the mountainous Wall of Meditation in the north to the tropical Crystalline Waters lakes in the south, and the endless steppes and mires of the eastern peninsula.

But the heartlands are held, of course, by the Great Powers.

The fastnesses of the Slippery Lances dominate the southern tier of the Crest of Compassion; while the clanholds of the orcs riddle the Steamy Forests that climb to meet the Crests' slopes.

Spoiler: Dwarven Civ (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Orcish Civ (click to show/hide)

Since the beginning of recorded time, the Hell of Toads have waged an endless series of wars against the elves who hold out, without much hope, in their jungle retreats.

Spoiler: The Scalded War (click to show/hide)

The year 200 dawns.  What will the new day bring?

Romomon is a succession world for the Masterwork Mod, version 1.04.  The rules are simple and I hope can lead to some fun and also fast turns (this is a bit of playtesting after all, so I would like to keep it moving!)

* There is no turn queue - If the save is posted you can grab it and say "GOT IT - PLAYING NOW"
* Play for unlimited time in game as a new expedition from the Dwarvish Slippery Lances, the Orcish Hell of Toads (or any other dwarf, orc, or succubus civ). 
* At the end of your turn, "Retire the Fortress for now."
* Players that follow can choose to un-retire existing forts, found a new expedition, or adventure.
* Please try to finish up your turn within 3 days IRL time.  If you need an extension please check in with a post with a short description of how things are going and an estimate of when you'll finish up -- otherwise, after the 4th day, a new player can jump in.
* Then post the save and say "TURN COMPLETE -- YEAR XXX SAVE IS HERE", and share some pictures or stories about your time in Romomon.

*** NOTE  ***
Embark Everywhere breaks the un-retire process, making it like a new embark over the old site even if you use the 'R' menu.  You can turn it off from a DFHack menu accessible in game on the embark screen.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:20:45 am by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Turn 0
YEAR 200 Save
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12107

Turn 1 (smakemupagus, Orcs @ Latugpradbuub, "StealHooves"):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158571.msg7033396#msg7033396
TURN COMPLETE.  Summer 201 save here!
Founded the lakeside Orcish castle stronghold at Latugpradbuub.

Turn 2 (jimboo, Dwarves @ Nosimdodok, "KindnessClasped")
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158571.msg7035784#msg7035784
TURN COMPLETESummer 202 save here!
Founded the lakeside Dwarvish hill fortress at Nosimdodok, adjacent to Latugpradbuub.
A chance at redemption for the fallen kingdom of The Rare Road.

Turn 3a (TheImmortalRyukan, Airith Doomedsoul, Elf Demigod)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158571.msg7038903#msg7038903
Established a seat of power the The Order of Death in Hellbones, before assassinating Warchief Senshuken and settling in Latugpradbuub.

Turn 3b (TheImmortalRyukan, Dwarves @ Odrozurim, "Fataltowers")
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158571.msg7045807#msg7045807
TURN COMPLETE!  Winter 202 Save here!
Carved the foundations of a mighty cliff-face fortress in the badlands of Odrozurim.
Re-discovered the venerable sport of crossbow throwing, the national pastime of the proud dwarves of The Equivalent Net.

Turn 4 (smakemupagus, Orcs @ Nosimoltar, "Kindgilt")
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158571.msg7050811#msg7050811
TURN COMPLETE!  Autumn 203 Save here!
Founded the The Autumnal Dungeons tavern above the ruins of Nosimoltar, a day's travel south by highway from Latugpradbuub, and re-opening local access to the Deep Roads.

Turn 5, (Gwolfski, Succubi @ Misoremisece & Giculmisarelie)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158571.msg7050926#msg7050926
TURN COMPLETE!  Summer 204 Save here!
A pair of succubi fortresses; bringing an outpost of the demonic civilization to the foothills of the Crest of Compassion.

Turn 6, (Pikachu17, Adventurer)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158571.msg7062638#msg7062638
TURN COMPLETE!  Save here!
Beginning the saga of the Dragonslayer, in which the hero slays many bandits on purpose, and a vampire accidentally

-----------------------------------
Get Masterwork mod here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125638.0
This game started with Masterwork 1.04, but it should work fine if you load the save into a later version of the mod.

-----------------------------------

Suggestions / Discussion

* Use seasonal autosaves, or DFHack quicksave, if you haven't tried this version of Masterwork much yet.  For some players it has crashed.  I haven't had crashes since I turned off the TWBT graphics.

* Hacky tools that aren't designed to give an unfair advantage (Workflow, Therapist) are fine.  Save-scumming or explicitly cheating (fastdwarf, createitem, kill commands) with dfhack are strongly discouraged - after all, ruined forts and megabeast nemeses will only make the continuous world more interesting.  For more-or-less benign quality of life tools I figure players can determine for themselves where to draw the line, I know some tools like prospect or drain-aquifer are widely used, so that's fine if you want to.
* If you use Embark Everywhere to send a new expedition on top of an active site, there are a number of potential problems including that the entities in the world probably won't understand what you did and so may not be able to react properly.  I don't rule it out entirely in case players really have an interesting reason for doing it, but in general it's probably better to use the Reclaim menu to return to existing locations.
*** Tested:  Embark Everywhere breaks the un-retire process, making it like a new embark over the old site even if you use the 'R' menu.  You can turn it off from a DFHack menu accessible in game on the embark screen. ***
* In the first ~3 turns we learned that conquering player sites as an adventurer is not a great gameplay experience, in that you can basically waltz in the front door and ambush the nobles with not much repercussions.  I don't want to prohibit attacking sites, but let's not plan to regularly roam around ganking named sites/characters.   Attacking sites which are actually hostile so you have a real fight on your hands is OK.  More experienced Adv Mode players can chime in if you think we should rule out Demigods though?-- or restrict them to quests worthy of divine intervention?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:21:32 am by smakemupagus »

SomeKif2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I'll just watch for now. I may jump in later. I want to see how this works first.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

OK, Welcome!  Hopefully we'll get some players this weekend.  If it stays quiet I'll start building some villages of each faction to get the ball rolling :)

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile

Personally unable to take a turn myself, but I would love to be orc'ed as a warrior with full intention of becoming a Blademaster by the name of Senshuken. The last time I had a orc Blademaster by the name of Senshuken he was this old man who was within the range of dying of old age... that never did. In fact, he was an absolute badass with his sword and I was rather disappointed that the orc hold he was apart of died without him either meeting a foe great enough to kill him or old age finally claimed him.

Blackhold I think that fort was called. I remember it because Gnomes became a highly respect advisory because despite the fact that they were too weak to actually do any real damage to us they were the first enemy to actually lay siege to our orc hold and actually fight us rather then take off running as soon as we went out to engage them.

I hope to see if this version of Senshuken gets some interesting tales to tell... or at least an amazing death. 
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

All right, I have a few hours tonight, so
GOT IT!  Playing now.

I'm starting with a Orcish border fortress where a spur of the Crest of Compassion meets a freshwater lake.  Sen, since this is a military expedition, I figure your avatar would be happy enough to serve as the clanleader.

Spoiler: Senshuken (click to show/hide)

Wood is a bit scarse, but it'll do to get started if we clearcut it.  There's exposed coal in the limestone outcrop to the southwest.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P.s. Interestingly, our cart was pulled by a pair of female elephants (not mumakil).  I wonder if our civ has had some animal training experience in world gen.  Although, I'll still probably butcher them rather than try to figure out how to have a pachyderm ranch in this desert.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 04:42:51 pm by smakemupagus »

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile

The log of Senshuken, Clanleader of The Nourishing Scourge,  Latugpradbuub.
15th of Granite, 200.
Arrival.

The shaman told us to travel for twenty one days and to set up the foundation of a new fortress at noon on the last day for that is the land that the almighty Duurzump has selected for us to test our mantle and prove ourselves worthy of his blessings.

This desert is a harsh and unforgiving landscape, wood is scarce with only some greenery in the north and south that will have to be clear cut as soon as possible. Our scouts have already reported that there is a source of coal that has been exposed among a bed of limestone to the southwest. The elephants that we captured and tamed as beasts of burden to replace the mumakil that were slaughtered on the way here will have to be killed to save them from the cruelty of starvation; They are strong, proud beasts and our final mercy to them will also ensure that Latugpradbuub will have plenty of food for quite some time.

Duurzump the Stern Canyons has chosen this harsh land for us in order to test us... test me for the trails ahead. I
will be up to the challenge. I will write more down when I have some time, but for now there is plenty of work to do.

~Clanleader Senshuken.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

What an interesting idea!  I have RL commitments for the next couple of days, then I’ll try my hand as Dwarf, either embarking or reclaiming someplace close by your desert clan.  I want to see your raiding parties test their “mantle” (whatever that means  :) ) against Armok’s Own!   
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

The lowlands had been home to some dangerous hippos.  We were fortunate to have some sabrecat pets (expensive but worth it, this time) and two of our pioneers being Uruks, who dispatched the creatures with their woodcutter's great axes.

Our temporary camp has been striken and the supplies moved to the site of our eventual permanent fortification at the jutlands near the river's mouth.  There are two soil layers before aquifer, which means we have room for plenty of industries and eventually, a safe tunnel to the quarry can be made in the layer between the brook and the aquifer.  But, it'll be close quarters dormitory sleeping for a while.  Food is fine for now from the elephants, fishing, and raven eggs, and a few small patches of mushroom crops. 

Spoiler: pictures (click to show/hide)

Autumn has come on the calendar.  The dry season has arrived.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

TURN COMPLETE - Summer 201 save here!
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12119

A brief history of Latugpradbuub, "Stealhooves".

The site is now secure behind an imposing limestone-block keep, and is largely self-sufficient, with a safe tunnel to the quarries.  Several simple buildings are erected on the lake's north shore: a clan hall for dining and gathering, and a large enclosure set aside mostly for butcher and fisherman's work.  The main part of Stealhooves' wealth for now comes from ivory, mussel shell, and pearl crafting, which are stockpiled in anticipation of trade.To adapt to the limited space inside the castle, the chief and his lieutenants occupy three-story constructed homes rather than more traditional delvings or one-story longhalls.  A curtain wall connects the buildings and shields the inner bailey against attack from the north or west. 

In the eastern harbor, we construct a Raider's dock, and the siege workshop and Freelancer's guild to supply it.  No raids are undertaken yet, with a bit of a shortage of timber and coin, but construction of a few ships is begun.  The courtyard's southern face is open to the lakeshore, and features our fishing dock. 

Not much metal found on site yet, although miners found a path around the aquifer through the lower levels of our quarry and began some exploratory tunnels.  A basic forge area is delved half-way between the keep and the quarry, where tin is smelted and coal turned to fuel.

Aware that we need gear for our Warchief and his clanguards, we  begin creating hardened and lamellar leather.  Several gems are put aside for gem-studded macuahuitl, which will serve our warriors well enough for training and against wildlife.  A few unlucky snaga and orcs are drafted to serve as atlatlists to provide some ranged support for the warband.  From ash and bonemeal a few bars of bonemold are produced for helms.  In summer 201, we traded several crates of pearl and shell crafts for a few bars of metal, some weapons, cloth, farm spores, and other supplies. 

With the fort now secure and armed, the Orcs of Stealhooves settle into the rhythm of everyday life, outside of our meticulous concern.

Spoiler: Stealhooves (click to show/hide)

Warning to any elf-loving adventurers or other assassins -- enter at your own risk, as Warchief Sen bought himself a nice blade.  His bodyguard may not be armored up too well, but if you want to test how much damage 7 angry urukhai and an olog can do with rock maces and gem-studded macuahuitl, go ahead and take a run at them.

Spoiler: armed and dangerous (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:15:17 am by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Here's a map showing the location of Latugpradbuub, "Stealhooves".

Sorry for multiple post.  Necessary evil of sneaking my play time in little bits here and there  8)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:16:47 am by smakemupagus »

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

Had to go for the aquifers, didn't ya?    ::)
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Hmm.. yeah i usually play with Aquifers on so i didn't even think twice about it.  (That is why i kept a tile of mountain biome to quarry, knowing i probably wouldn't have time to pierce the aquifer). 

Masterwork gives so many tools for living comfortably on the surface for a few years that i find it an interesting challenge rather than a frustration, although I guess that in a world where we're starting multiple forts, the novelty might wear off. :)

Urist Reborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

GOT THE SAVE -- running with it.
This is really some world: Lotugprodbuub is on a mountain plain surrounded by badlands, rocky wasteland, more mountains and water, water everywhere aquifers.  There is one 3x3 of grassland wilderness adjacent, SE.    Now that it’s been explained to me that the current version does not allow active raids and the warships merely unlock additional Orc workstations, I’d still like to be next door to see if that can activate something in the code.  No ferrous metals, not enough tin to make bronze, either; this could be a short-lived fortress.  Or maybe just enough incentive for the next player to embark somewhere else.  There are some warring Elves to the SW, not many humans and not all that many embark sites that aren’t deserts, wastelands, mountains or swamps.  Most with aquifers. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15