Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: ☼Masterwork Mod☼ - Romomon, The Ageless Realms (Multi-race succession world)  (Read 31207 times)

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile

Well, you know what Clanleader Senshuken says: "No one ever got anything by being a pussy."
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

How close are we thinking the embarks have to be to see interactions?  If you follow the road (that is called "the Odorous Ways" on the Orcish side of the border and "The Whimsical Road" on the Dwarf side) about 5 region tiles south from Latugpradbuub, just as the road comes down from the mountains there's a ruin called Nosimoltar at the intersection of the road and brook and another unnamed construction (is that some kind of deepway?)  The prairies and savanahs around there have no aquifer, and deep metals.

Although, it looks like you have to go a region-map tile or so futher south of Nosimoltar if you want to be in range of elvish traders.

Edit.  PS.  Nosimoltar has some history as a border fort:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:48:55 pm by smakemupagus »

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

How close are we thinking the embarks have to be to see interactions? 

I dunno, but BellsWhispered is now abutted to you guys, south.  I thought overlapping a bit might be pushing it for an already established Orc outpost.  :)  This dwarven experiment might turn out to be an example of what not to do: the FPS is crashing already and somehow, the aquifer seems to be seeping upwards.  (I know that can't happen, sure seems like it, though.  Maybe somebody will take over and just drain the damn thing w/ DFHack.) 

Still, one fortress right next door should establish that as a limit, anyhow.  Will post up in a few hours --
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

“There’s Orcs nearby, to be sure, but it’s a prime location, beachfront property, loaded with orange and apple groves, berry fruits just for the pickin’ and some of the prettiest hillsides  you’ll ever see.”  That was the sales pitch from the mapmaker, anyway, and the first part of it was true, at least.  The Orcs of Latugpradbuub are right next door.  Nobody mentioned the aquifer that is right below the surface …

Stated Goal: Establish a dwarven fort adjacent to the new Orcs in Latugpradbuub to try and provoke a (controlled?) raid.

And it looked so promising to start –
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1st Galena, 201, late Summer.

Day One:  Whoa, only 28 points left after embarking 7 hardy souls.  This is my first play in a long time without cheating somewhat, took me by surprise.  Selling most everything back to have any embark skills at all.  The guys will have to make do with mostly plump helmets for awhile.  We’re bringing along some copper bars, one of iron for a decent weapon, several stones and one anthracite just for emergency coke, planning to make most everything else.  A breeding pair of turkeys since the egglayers haven’t been nerfed back, yet.  A lot of sand, just to get the cheap bags.  Two dogs, a male that hunts.  And what a bunch of wimpy losers!  Well, have to make do.  There’s soil for training miners, it’ll be an effort to punch through that aquifer.  Some surprises upon embarking: the brook turned into a river, currently alligator and hippo infested.  The cliff face isn’t as high as expected and nothing’s showing but soil.  The river is sandbanked and w/o stone so if the aquifer is just below, problems.  The guys are burrowing into the sand cliff face to hedge the bet.  Wait, hold on – Day One is LATE SUMMER?  Dwarves next month w/o any tradegoods?  Hmm.  The wagon was pulled by a yak cow and a one-hump camel.

Here’s the starting lineup with the few skills we could afford.  Initially it’s ‘all hands on deck’ for most labors.  Olin, our Herbalist, is going to grab some quick berries and such to add to our tiny larder since most everything was sold back to have any skill points at all.  A couple of blocks from embarked stone, a metalworks, another pick …

Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

And it looked so promising to start –

Ha, That's an ominous beginning!   :)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

Addendum: the only foreign Civs listed around us are the Orcs and some Giant Badgermen and the other Dwarves don’t seem to like us very much.  With a river and all those limestone boulders scattered about, I was expecting at least some stone above the aquifer; in hindsight, should have embarked with a couple dozen more cheap rocks for trap mechanisms.  Smake’s Orcs have no problem butchering the hippos, I doubt we’d have the same luck.  Vermin haven’t been a problem so far, wooden animal traps must be working. 

14th Galena

2 weeks gone by; we have some idea where the aquifer lies but it’s an odd shape as in, it’s not evenly distributed throughout the sand and loam.  Hmm.  It seems we’re a wooden industry site at least for the moment – the next caravan (might?) come by in only a couple of weeks and we have nothing at all to trade.  The hunting dog was assigned to our woodcutter who has one point as Ambusher; I hope that’s enough to keep him alive with the hippos and gators around.  It was not an embark screen that I’m used to; no leatherwing bats = no easy leather armor.  And no moleweasels offered so I forgot about vermin; was I supposed to buy a cat??  Looks like wooden traps around the kitchen larder at least for now.

1st Limestone, early Autumn.
Not much accomplished in the last month; poking a few holes, trying to find an easy path to some stone.  Most of the goods are inside (food, anyway) and the turkeys are in a pen with doors and a nest box.  A wooden nest box (sigh).  I guess we need a log Trade Depot and Liaison Office in case there’s a caravan this week.  And one door wasn’t forbidden in time so we have kitchen eggs instead of poults.

13th Limestone.
Yep, Dwarven caravan.  Scrambling to get a Depot and Office slapped together.

25th Limestone
Well, that could have gone better – the dwarves brought us only a couple of bars of metal, no rocks and a half-dozen assorted blocks, no weapons to speak of (we passed on the very expensive, studded platinum mauls and halberds).  A lot of foodstuffs and enough booze to last until maybe Spring, that was about it.  Absolutely nothing made of gold, and calling for more caravans with coin might be our only hope of survival this close to the Orcs.  One percussion instrument.  One bin each of leather and cloth, guess we should start on some leather armor next.  Almost nothing offered of metal, not even bolts that could have been melted down!  The miners are exploring around one area of loam where the aquifer hasn’t yet penetrated, might be a suitable location for a cave-in; we’ve been digging around trying to find the barrier rock but, no luck so far and with only seven workers … The rhinos, hippos and gators have mostly kept their distance, our Axeman has taken out one (wimpy) lioness and is currently standing guard.  We need a butcher and tanner shop.

26th Limestone.
Migrants!  Certainly can’t see why but must be they enjoy a challenge.  Making more picks from our remaining copper.  7 newbies, doubling our population: one decent leatherworker, one so-so mason.  None even dabble w/ military training; we need to start work on that. 

20th Timber, late Autumn.
Established a Tavern, the Lunches of Clasping, hoping to draw in a few mercenaries and some coin.  A couple of the migrants are entertainers at heart; we don’t need carousing with only 14 workers but there’s little here to do except depressing digging though not-damp soil, searching for rock.  And putting up those depressing wooden blockade walls. 

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

The Liaison had finished the trading and now wondered what he could possibly do with 37 spiked wooden balls.  He saw dejected workers putting up a wooden blockade in anticipation of the neighboring Orcs.  Wooden!  Digging around in wet sand.  Living in the dirt like some sodden tree-huggers!  He looked around in disgust.  “These dwarves be ELVES,” he said to no one in particular.  He shook his head, spit on the ground and left without making any plans to return the following year to this Armok-forsaken travesty of a fortress.

1st Moonstone, early Winter.
Hey!  That dwarf representative left without presenting a Wish List for next year!  No messages, nothing. 
Is this it?  Are we really going to be a wood industry, two-layer soil fortress?? 

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

Ist Moonstone, early Winter, continued. 

Expanding the dry loam discovery led to an expansive room under the front wall and that’s good, but a controlled cave-in there would be right under our kitchens and gardens.  There are tons of limestone boulders on the surface and plenty of limestone pebble tiles but every exploratory staircase around them has proven to be sand.  Wet sand.  In other news, the Tavern is proving popular with our guys, at least.  Before deciding next steps on Project Aquifer, we’ll build a small Temple and at least a proper bedroom for our expedition leader, Bookie.

The goal here was – HERE – to have a dwarven fortress right next to the Orc stronghold to see if that sparks a raiding party.  A cave-in from up top would require at least a 25 tile rectangle followed by many pumps and that’s if the aquifer is only one lvl deep (it is *so* tempting to cheat with DFHack reveal); maybe the best thing would be to set up ‘the basics’ and abandon this fort so somebody can come reclaim it with 7 armed troops, needing to do nothing until the migrant waves or the Orcs come visiting.  Even with all 14 workers, we can’t punch an aquifer down four levels before next Autumn.  In somewhat good news, our best carpenter, Olin (now named Woody) has progressed from novice carpenter to lvl 6; we can leave a stockpile of those spiked wooden balls for next autumn worth about 600 each. 

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

8th Opal, mid-winter.

Work continues.  Just setting up the basics of a fortress in the first year with few workers means there’s nobody available to work on Project Aquifer and it’s possible those Orcs will come by any day.  I have no idea how that interaction works.  :)   Invaders are On, we’ll see soon enough.  We built a weight bench; hated to use two of our few remaining stones to do it but everybody here is such wimps – our axeman, Mesthos, is pathetically weak and I’d hate to lose him because he can’t lift an iron axe.  He’s just started hefting boulders (really, Meph?  The lead and iron weights were a problem?) and at strength 748, that’s “very weak for a dwarf,” says Therapist. 

8th Obsidian, late Winter
Mesthos finished his first set of rock reps, went from 748 strength to 751 or “very weak” to “weak for a dwarf.”  This could take some time…  Using those two rocks for weights means we can’t make mechanisms for the raising bridges so, sacrificed some of the remaining copper.  The plan was to have only one gate, then the first honeybees showed up and naturally they’re way over to one side so, two gates, one lever in the Control Room. 

1st Granite, early Spring.

Putting in some quarry bushes to have oil for soap in the MASH unit.  And hey, looks like there are some olives on the ground next to the new front gate; no trees, must have been one in the way and cut down.  Still, scouts are out looking for other olive trees for oil/soap. 

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Sounds like it's about time for the boys to "import" some iron over here, if you catch my drift.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

6th Granite

14 poults have hatched, we’ll have leather and turkey roasts someday.  There’s a proper meat packers/tannery now in the courtyard.  The front rock bridge is up and the blockade is nearly finished.  We’ve had no migrants since that first wave of seven last fall.  The scouts have failed to find a single olive tree still standing anywhere so, rock nuts in the ground for quarry bushes.  Our glassmaker, Stukos, has been piddling around making jugs and pots and the occasional cabinet just to get some skills although it’s not the best use of our resources.  He’s been filling his own bags of sand and he’s still at lvl 1, at least it’s his highest moodable skill.  Which reminds me, we haven’t had a mood yet in this place. 

The upper level:

Turkey farm, leather and clothes shops/ beginnings of a Textile area, working on a few more dirt bedrooms.   When we’ve pressed oil, there will be a butcher and tanner shop in w/ the birds. 

18th Granite

More migrants, looks like the extra bedrooms did the trick.  21!  An excellent cook, weaver and mason – naturally – but with 35 warm bodies, we can start military prep and get on with Project Aquifer.  Wow, we don’t have nearly enough bedrooms –

A typical day in the neighborhood –

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

Sounds like it's about time for the boys to "import" some iron over here, if you catch my drift.

That's one way, certainly.  I'm about to finish up with recommended possibilities for the next player and easiest of all would just be to DFHack drain that damn aquifer.  Still would be short of iron (steel) but, bronze, anyway. 

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

25th Granite.

Mithril!  I typically turn Hunting off for migrants, missed this one and he’s targeted a rhino. 

I don’t play with exploits – usually – but for this place, we’re going to melt down every one of those bolts for helms.  Shoot, if nobody finds a path soon to the tetrahedrite, it will be tempting to exploit the coins or recycle trap components.   Anyway, turning off “forbid used ammunition” now, setting a stockpile next to the new smelter. 

1st Slate, mid-Spring.

Ha!  I just figured out why the migrant influx was so slow:

Seven months on, this fortress is still worth only 39K.  That’s less than two decent metal trap components from a skilled weaponsmith.  Ah, well.  We still don’t have much to work with: the “other” is prepared foods, we’re trying to switch over to a Food Industry from all this wooden crap.  Spiked balls are easy enough but very un-dwarfy.  It bugs me. 
Pressing some olives for oil, when we have enough we’ll start hardening some leather.  Nobody seems to want that caged llama for a pet so he’ll be another suit of armor soon.  And llama roasts. 

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

That's one way, certainly.

I was picturing this way ;)
https://w-dog.net/wallpaper/warhammer-orcs-dwarves-battle-massacre-slaughter-axe-axes-swords-muskets-mountain-castle/id/275103/

-----
I don't really have a strong opinion either way on dfhacking the aquifer.  I'd rather not see a ton of dfhack easy-way-outs in general, but since most players probably go aquifers off most of the time this one is OK with me. 

edit: Maybe as a house rule you have to have a temple to a god who would have an interest in aquifers (earth, water, fortresses) before you can enact this divine intervention ;)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

---
I don't really have a strong opinion either way on dfhacking the aquifer.  I'd rather not see a ton of dfhack easy-way-outs in general, but since most players probably go aquifers off most of the time this one is OK with me. 

edit: Maybe as a house rule you have to have a temple to a god who would have an interest in aquifers (earth, water, fortresses) before you can enact this divine intervention ;)

Your house, your rules.   :)  Previous Temple was a generic one.  This is the Temple of Garem, the Nail of Standards, God of Fortresses and War.  Next to it is the Temple of Uker Beachlake the Moist Ocean, God of Lakes, Coasts and Oceans and, no doubt shown if the screen hadn’t cut off, Aquifers.  Nearly a third of our fortressfolk are Ukerites. 

Ah, found it --

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15