Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: TRASHWORLD [WIP]  (Read 6560 times)

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TRASHWORLD [WIP]
« on: June 03, 2016, 09:00:33 pm »

A few strong men...

A sea of "it was inevitable"s...

A lust for...

Everything, to put it succinctly, has gone to hell. A seemingly endless series of brutal wars have caused society to collapse into itself- concepts like law and order fading into distant memory as all civilization turns on itself in brutal conflicts for resources, land, and survival. Warmachines, their human overseers and pilots long dead, have developed malevolent intelligence and begun rampages across the already ravaged earth, raining down fire and ruination upon any unlucky enough to cross their path. Pollution and failed genetic testing have released mutated freaks and human-animal hybrids onto the world, while in caverns deep below the earth, monstrosities skitter in the dark and light-scorning mutants form savage tribes. Wasters struggle to rebuild the old cities, while dangerous psychopaths squat in the bombed-out ruins, whipping themselves into hedonistic battle-frenzies. Meanwhile, the advanced and pureblooded arcologites mine ever deeper into the mountains, expanding their high-tech complexes further in all directions, tunneling away from the clamor and pollution of the wartorn world above. Among the trash heaps gather albinos spurned from all societies, forming together into vicious and effective mobs- and from beneath the ground there rises ominous black spires, peopled by beings that, though far exceeding any human in size, strength and intelligence, are held in sway to some even greater power. In this harsh land, whether you're building a subterranean outpost to keep your citizens safe or roughing it as an adventuring wastelander, only one thing is certain- death is coming, and it's probably gonna get here sooner than you think.

This is Trashworld.

THE RACES:

ARCOLOGITES: Humans deemed genetically "pure" enough to live in the sheltered arcologies, massive complexes built deep into the mountains that are (somewhat) safe from the outside world. Though they look down on the wasters, they are not opposed to trading with them. The arcologites are the fort mode playable race, and have access to high tech equipment like exosuits, incredibly sharp swords with blades a molecule thick, and fully functional firearms.

WASTERS: Humans that must scratch out a living in the polluted overworld. They've managed to restore quite a few cities, and attempt to cling to some semblance of their past glory- but, unlike the more advanced arcologites, they are subject to the whim of the wastes, and thus are hardened and attuned to its savagery; due to this they may become somewhat "wasteish" themselves. They are the primary adventure mode race. Some are known to accept the ghastly "animal hybrid" mutants into their communities, in an attempt to make them "model citizens."

PSYCHOS: Humans that have succumbed to the twisted, seductive insanity of the wastes, and have cast off any semblance of clemency or restraint. They squat in the bombed-out ruins of old cities, and regularly raid, kidnap, and burgle in almost any settlement, including their own. Technologically they are very similar to the wasters, but what differentiates them is their almost complete lack of ethics, and a savagery that seems encoded into their DNA.

TRASHJUMPERS: Diminutive, malformed mutants that have degenerated quite severely from their original human shapes. They skirt along the outsides of what's left of civilization, living in caves and stealing what they can from their more advanced and upright peers.

SCAVVYS: Quad-eyed albino mutants that entrench themselves among the boundless swathes of trash heaps and dead trees that cover the land. They have been exiled from society for their shared deformities, and many believe that by consuming the flesh of their enemies they will gain their power and "beauty."

SHAMBHALANS: Magna-mutants, perhaps former arcologites, that have risen from some unfathomably deep subterranean realm to retake and reform the overworld from which they have hidden for so long. They are many heads taller than the average human, possess unnatural hair and skin coloration, and survey their surroundings imperiously with three eyes. Some believe their coming heralds the "True End," a period of terrible strife to surpass even the atrocities the Great Wars wrought.

There are a multitude of other additions- creatures, items, and minerals included. I'll be developing this more, and would love some feedback. Some things I already have in mind- I want to make the mineral system more complex, and incorporate a "recycling" function. I also am going to look into adventure-mode crafting, Wanderer style. Also planning on adding in more creatures, as well as horrid curses and powerful secrets. I hope you enjoy my humble project!

DOWNLOAD: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12108
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 12:58:15 am by Cthulhu_Pakabol »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: TRASHWORLD [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 09:04:20 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 10:13:08 pm »

I like the setting and the buried treasure!  One suggestion would be to put your custom materials in their own files, rather than inserting them into the vanilla ones.  It will make updating things easier later, and keeps open the possibility of compatibility with other mods.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 10:19:19 pm »

I like the setting and the buried treasure!  One suggestion would be to put your custom materials in their own files, rather than inserting them into the vanilla ones.  It will make updating things easier later, and keeps open the possibility of compatibility with other mods.

Ah, very good idea. I'm still fairly new at this kind of thing, so I'm grateful for the advice!

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 10:42:20 pm »

Found a small error where the archologite and waster soldier tiles were out of whack, uploaded a fix.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 11:06:07 pm »

I won't campaign for an exact "elf analog" but it could be cool to make something for this setting that uses the forest retreat site.  Probably some kind of mutant, something so mutated beyond humanoid form that they live outside like animals.  Perhaps something like FuFo's wyvern civ, they are a civilization, but they don't make any crafts or visit as bards, though this system has been buggy.  Using a forest retreat doesn't necessarily have to forgo industry, they could still have access to metal and wood crafts, but they wouldn't have any workshops around in adventure mode. 

Do you mean archeology or arcology? 

Will there be "futuristic" materials?  Amorphous metal?  Superalloy?  Carbon Fiber?  Graphene?  Tungsten Carbide?  Dragon Skin?  Chobham Armor?  Cellulose Nanocrystal?  Polybenzimidazole?

Will there be any psionics in this setting?  You can find various superpower recipes in the Spellbook thread. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 11:18:06 pm »

I won't campaign for an exact "elf analog" but it could be cool to make something for this setting that uses the forest retreat site.  Probably some kind of mutant, something so mutated beyond humanoid form that they live outside like animals.  Perhaps something like FuFo's wyvern civ, they are a civilization, but they don't make any crafts or visit as bards, though this system has been buggy.  Using a forest retreat doesn't necessarily have to forgo industry, they could still have access to metal and wood crafts, but they wouldn't have any workshops around in adventure mode. 

Do you mean archeology or arcology? 

Will there be "futuristic" materials?  Amorphous metal?  Superalloy?  Carbon Fiber?  Graphene?  Tungsten Carbide?  Dragon Skin?  Chobham Armor?  Cellulose Nanocrystal?  Polybenzimidazole?

Will there be any psionics in this setting?  You can find various superpower recipes in the Spellbook thread.

I'll probably add in a forest civ soon, something creative.

Whoops, guess I mispelled arcology, I'll get to that soon  :o

Definitely want to add in some more minerals

And finally, I'll check out that spellbook thread. Psionics and such sound very fitting.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 01:38:12 pm »

Something to consider for a forest civ: do forests have to be trees?  Remove all trees from a particular biome (or the whole world if you prefer) and replace them with something else... Trash heaps, twisted pieces of abstract art, weird alien growths... Then make a race of people who live on them for whatever reason.

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 02:37:42 pm »

Something to consider for a forest civ: do forests have to be trees?  Remove all trees from a particular biome (or the whole world if you prefer) and replace them with something else... Trash heaps, twisted pieces of abstract art, weird alien growths... Then make a race of people who live on them for whatever reason.

You read my mind there! I actually wanted to remove almost all varieties of tree and replace them with cable towers, dead trees, girders, etc, but I'm not sure how- I haven't exactly found a comprehensive guide on tree modding. Any advice you might have for me?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 03:26:02 pm »

To make a pole, just make the tree without branches or leaves - just a trunk.
You can make the trunk up to 3 tiles wide to simulate mound-like shapes.
As for more complex shapes, you can check out the trees that already exist... keep in mind that some shapes may wind up weird in the actual forest retreats though, sometimes even branchless trees will wind up with canopies when they get big enough.

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 06:02:46 am »

New update incoming shortly. Some additions:

Psionic superpowers, courtesy of IndigoFenix's very fine secret interactions from his mythical monsters mod.

Walker mechs, smaller warmachines twice the size of an adult human and equipped with flamethrowers/fireball launchers. The dead pilot is still rattling around inside.

To counter these more common warmachines, the wasters are armed with a new projectile weapon- the Anti-Mech Lance, which fires heavy slugs at insanely high speeds, and has an underslung stakedriver which dispenses a similar level of force.

The removal of all trees, and the addition of two new ones- dead trees, leafless, fruitless old skeletons- and trash heaps, big mounds of (primarily) wooden detritus. More should come soon. Among these "trees", there also appears a new race: the Scavvys. They're pale, with four red eyes, and have a rather savage temperament.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 06:14:26 am by Cthulhu_Pakabol »

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 06:56:22 am »

The update is out now!

FawkesFTK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 01:35:22 pm »

Fawkes here. I'm a friend of Pakabol's and co-developer of this conversion. Gonna be working primarily on materials for now, that includes renaming some current ones to fit in with the setting better and adding new ones such as superalloys, kevlar, etc etc.

I've been trying to get exosuits to spawn in correctly, but it seems that if I set them to uncommon or rare they simply don't show up at all within arcologies. Anyone know a way to remedy this, since there's no real point in lower-tier equipment if the best armor is as common as a jumpsuit.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 01:50:53 pm »

elves are cannibals with heighened reflexes and 'fuck them'?

make a race of low tech, cultish rangers
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 10:32:22 pm »

Fawkes here. I'm a friend of Pakabol's and co-developer of this conversion. Gonna be working primarily on materials for now, that includes renaming some current ones to fit in with the setting better and adding new ones such as superalloys, kevlar, etc etc.

I've been trying to get exosuits to spawn in correctly, but it seems that if I set them to uncommon or rare they simply don't show up at all within arcologies. Anyone know a way to remedy this, since there's no real point in lower-tier equipment if the best armor is as common as a jumpsuit.
Common, rare, forced, etc. apply to whether the civ has access to it or not.  Once a civ has an armor, its availability is governed more by materials than anything else.  I don't recall cost figuring into it at all, so it's hard to arrange for something to be consistently present but rare.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: [1] 2 3