Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Arcane Exile [Early Spring, Week 2: Burst]  (Read 20993 times)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Exile [Recruiting!]
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 12:36:23 pm »

I'm tempted to do an expy of the previous character I played of this but I also have an idea... hmm
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 01:44:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:13:02 am by AbstractTraitorHero »

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 06:12:06 pm »

Another! Hopefully, this one succeeds, and lasts more than a few weeks.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Also, Baron Polmarop seems good.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:35:08 pm by DigitalDemon »
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 06:17:58 pm »

Another! Hopefully, this one succeeds, and lasts more than a few weeks.

There was one before this? Huh. Must have missed it.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 06:19:21 pm »

There were many such games, beginning with Expedition Arcane, and then a few others tried their hand at GMing such a game. All thses games flopped.
When in doubt, use puns.
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
that's pretty gay

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 06:33:04 pm »

PTW

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 06:58:33 pm »

@Ironyowl, I assume there's synergy between Protection and Artifice?
There's probably some synergy between just about anything. Those two in particular have a lot of potential in keeping your items together, generating complex protective effects, or holding volatile parts of complex enchantments together better, off the top of my head.

6 players initially, chosen by random selection.

Aaaugh
Sorry! Maybe you'll get luckier this time. :x

Question, if you want to change someones mind, would that fall under flesh? Maybe flesh+Transmutation or something?
Probably Mind Element
Depends on how literally you mean. Flesh+Transmutation would generally be better at making their brain matter better attuned to something you're getting from a third school, which could technically work if you're a literal villain attuning them to despair or something. Combining those with Illusion might let you get more nuanced in that field, and Necromancy and/or Vitamancy could maybe assist with making good and/or bad changes.

Mind Element would be a good guess for massaging their thoughts around, though it'd probably lack the power and finesse on its own to do really in-depth changes, like if you wanted to grant rats sapience or something.

If you mean just "convincing someone of something," that'd probably be social skills and/or Illusion, though a lot of the above could still help with that. For the more mad scientisty approach, it might need to be a fairly elaborate process using a disproportionate number of schools and resources, rather than a singular skill combo.

(Let me know if I filled anything out improperly.)
Looks good, and yes, Metal is a viable element.

graveyarded in the prologue
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 07:29:09 pm »

There were many such games, beginning with Expedition Arcane, and then a few others tried their hand at GMing such a game. All thses games flopped.
:|

IronyOwl and myself have bounced this game idea back and forth a few times more than that, through the years. One day one of us may just manage to finish one! (Not me. My focus and ability to finish things ar

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 07:29:46 pm »

IronyOwl and myself have bounced this game idea back and forth a few times more than that, through the years. One day one of us may just manage to finish one! (Not me. My focus and ability to finish things ar
Nice.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 07:39:25 pm »

Ah, right. Well, I do enjoy these games, even if they have been left unfini
When in doubt, use puns.
that's pretty gay

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 07:40:59 pm »

Please, sto

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 08:10:00 pm »

Depends on how literally you mean. Flesh+Transmutation would generally be better at making their brain matter better attuned to something you're getting from a third school, which could technically work if you're a literal villain attuning them to despair or something. Combining those with Illusion might let you get more nuanced in that field, and Necromancy and/or Vitamancy could maybe assist with making good and/or bad changes.

Mind Element would be a good guess for massaging their thoughts around, though it'd probably lack the power and finesse on its own to do really in-depth changes, like if you wanted to grant rats sapience or something.

If you mean just "convincing someone of something," that'd probably be social skills and/or Illusion, though a lot of the above could still help with that. For the more mad scientisty approach, it might need to be a fairly elaborate process using a disproportionate number of schools and resources, rather than a singular skill combo.

Ah, perhaps to be more specific I was thinking of brainwashing into slavery, possibly with a personality and/or memory rewrite. It sounds like maybe mind+flesh+Transmutation+illusion? And maybe necromancery/vitamancy. Although possibly also just requiring too much to be a realistic thing for a character...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:15:26 pm by Criptfeind »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2016, 09:23:04 pm »

I don't finish nothin'. I just keep it going long enough that it still feels like a success after it dies.

...oh god I'm a TV writer, this explains everything.

Ah, perhaps to be more specific I was thinking of brainwashing into slavery, possibly with a personality and/or memory rewrite. It sounds like maybe mind+flesh+Transmutation+illusion? And maybe necromancery/vitamancy. Although possibly also just requiring too much to be a realistic thing for a character...
Depends on how exactly you want to go about it. It's a pretty powerful, complex effect, so it'd make sense that it'd require quite a bit of investment, in skillset and/or time and resources devoted to actually pulling it off.

Mind covers, well, the mind, so it's a great starting point for massaging a critter's thoughts and applying other effects to the mind. It's probably not strong or versatile enough to properly brainwash critters into slavery unless you're gradually nudging them there with their permission, though.
Flesh covers meat, which brains technically are. So it's good for altering a creature's brain, but lacks the finesse to do much of that or much with that all on its own.
Transmutation alters something's makeup. On its own that's not much good for anything, but when you start combining it with other schools you can get the ability to treat a critter's thoughts or brain as a substance to be altered, which can have some interesting effects.
Illusion covers perceptions, so it's good for brainwashing a creature in subtler ways or with its unknowing assistance (eg making it feel happy whenever it obeys you to brainwash it in a fairly mundane fashion). It's not great at permanently or deeply affecting anything on its own, though.
Vita/Necromancy covers altering living things, which most of your targets will presumably be. That makes it another good booster for more specific or introductory schools targeting the mind.

So you can mix and match a lot of these depending on how you want to go about it and how much you're willing to invest in the project. Illusion and Mind could make for a good "gradually convince them they want to serve you" combo, by messing with their perceptions and feelings right inside their head. Necromancy, Illusion, and Enchantment could let you forcibly control the weak-willed by enchanting them to dread disobeying you too much to ever follow through with it. Flesh, Mind, Transmutation, and Seduction could potentially let you warp victims into serving you out of unnaturally obsessive, permanent love. Necromancy, Vitamancy, Mind, Transmutation, and an appropriate Knowledge skill might allow you to more forcibly overwrite whatever's in their skulls.

It'd be a significant project, but you've definitely got options.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2016, 09:41:51 pm »

Ah hah, cool, cool. Makes sense. I'm going to have to think for a little bit about if I want to play such a creepy character. Also I'd be a little bit worried about mechanically treading old ground a bit too much. It seems like mind control, at least from what I'm thinking about going for, might be a too small hop from what Sjig-Nak was...

When do you expect you'll start 'picking' sheets and such?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:43:23 pm by Criptfeind »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2016, 09:48:50 pm »

Ah yes irony assume my sheets good?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12