Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Arcane Exile [Early Spring, Week 2: Burst]  (Read 20992 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Exile [Recruiting!]
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2016, 03:31:02 am »

...Please pick characters based on merit?

This would be nice, actually.
Merit seems rather subjective
Yeah. What kind of merit? Usefulness of build? Coherency of character? Familiarity with you as a player?

Desire to avoid picking the same people every game aside, I'm not super convinced I know how to pick players to make for the best game. I was a little tempted to do a last men standing type scenario covering the circumstances immediately prior to your exile, but I feel like that might just end up as a more elaborate and arbitrary method of picking people at random.
well, there's a few criteria I personally use when picking players.
1 - has the player been troublesome or absent before, in mine or other games? No point getting a player who posts once and then never again, or even worse, picks arguments.
2 - is the character interesting and decently written? 2d mary sues aren't good, or blatant fetish fuel characters ( I've seen them on here >.> ). Do they fit the established lore? Are they too powerful -or too weak? It's not typically fun to be ovérshadowed by too great a margin.
3 - will the character have room for fun interactions with the other characters? If you have six brooding loners, chances are it won't be as fun a  game it could be otherwise. Do they overlap too much with skills and personality?
4 - can the characters complete the game wih the skills available? This one can be modulated by you, of course, but ideally all challenges can be done with more or less difficulty dependig on players. This one is less important, since you can remove diifficulties or add npcs or whatever.

Sure, it'll be more subjective than the whims of fate, but thats not necessarily a bad thing. It rewards more effort put in characters and generally improves the game, in my opinion.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2016, 08:18:03 am »

I think picking on merit, even a sorta vague subjective merit, normally does end up with a more interesting and fun pool of players. But that's not to say non merit based systems don't have their own... Merits. I think ultimately whatever Irony is most comfortable with is best. Well, for this game (for some other gms I would and have skipped over their games because they don't have a merit based picking system) I think it'll be fun enough whomsoever ends up playing.

Edit: And, to be a bit selfish, the random nature of the picking makes me feel somewhat better. It takes a lot of the... performance pressure off, and even during a game perhaps it does as well...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:21:27 am by Criptfeind »

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2016, 12:22:19 pm »

You you still taking apps? or should I leave it?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2016, 04:00:28 pm »

The GM hasn't closed recruitment, go ahead and post it.

Edit: I'm pretty sure he will have a waitlist, as well, since characters in his games tend to die.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:02:27 pm by Nirur Torir »

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2016, 05:28:59 pm »

Isias Reborn
Primary Skill: Vitamancy
Secondary Skills: Protection, Earth
Tertiary Skills: Water, Survival, Dodging
Physical Description: Black haired, black eyed, and exceedingly pale.  Seemingly always in a black cloak, regardless of the temperature outside.
Mental Description: Smooth, quiet, and unassuming, almost no one ever breaks his cool temperament.  Almost no one.  Almost.  When he does snap he only returns to normal after unequivocal and victory... or Death.  Temperamentally, he's almost passive in his opinions, not unlikely to roll over and play dead if he thinks it'll get him out of a tight situation.  If he does choose a goal, he chases that goal indefinitely.  He's amiable in social interactions, but doesn't search it out.
Bio: You assume that his slight build and apparently insecure attachment to his clothing bespeaks weakness, which is probably correct.  You have no idea how he got here, but sand in his pack bespeaks of desert, the salty fish rations speak of ocean, and snow-burned cheeks speak of mountains.  Clearly this kid's had a trip.

Edit: Oh and Baron Skull. Obviously
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:30:59 pm by griffinpup »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2016, 06:16:42 pm »

I really considered making a "physical upgrades" character, but then I saw baroness sugarpetal was already like that. As it's looking less and less like she'll be selected, I'm considering editing my character (or submitting a new one) that's more in line with that idea.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2016, 06:58:08 pm »

I really considered making a "physical upgrades" character, but then I saw baroness sugarpetal was already like that. As it's looking less and less like she'll be selected, I'm considering editing my character (or submitting a new one) that's more in line with that idea.
Actually its neck and neck between shugarpetal, skull, and polmarop. They all have two votes each last i checked.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2016, 07:00:23 pm »

Oh and any feedback(friendly-like) on my character/future roleplaying as always appreciated.  I live to learn

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2016, 08:22:01 pm »

Oh and any feedback(friendly-like) on my character/future roleplaying as always appreciated.  I live to learn
Since you asked:
You might want to clarify on your 'survival' skill, or change it. I'd assume you want a generalized wilderness survival knowledge. At level 1 .. well, "don't eat random bright berries" is probably outclassed by being a master healer, and lighting campfires isn't going to be a problem.
I don't expect a level 1 dodge to be particularly helpful, especially without other one-on-one combat skills, but it's definitely safer than taking flesh magic or transmogrification and enhancing your durability that way. Of course, those might help your healing more, if you want to specialize.

I'm mostly a novice RPer, but I've picked up a few things. (Use it now, or consider it for the future, or ignore it, whichever. Different RP styles and all that) My take on your sheet:

Your mental description paints your character as "usually boring, except when he goes extreme." There aren't interesting character-specific hooks for an interesting start to an RP conversation (IE, someone afraid of spiders could be greeted while carrying a spider out of a building, or if he was insecure about his height another player could make short jokes about halflings), and the GM has fewer amusing levers for minor failures and making situations dramatic from more than a stat-based perspective. (IE, open a chest and have a spider spring out at the archnophobe, or someone traumatized by an absurd overabundance of rain over an extended duration could have a magical accident making it rain inside their lab and block the door.) If nothing else, it's more interesting for spectators to read about an arachnaphobe finding something filled with spiders than PC#4 finding yet another empty chest.

Your bio also says nothing, other than that your guy apparently never cleans his backpack and is a master healer that either doesn't know how to heal frost damage, or doesn't care.
We generally assume that people aren't randomly telling everyone their backstories off-screen, and don't act like our characters are reading each others' character sheets. (And just outright RPing using mind magic on another PC without discussing it beforehand is just ... no).
Having a backstory isn't generally required, but just giving likely IC impressions of what the character has been through seems strange to me.

Spoiler: Background (click to show/hide)
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'd just like to say that this world backstory was magical.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2016, 09:03:50 pm »

Thx.  I've literally about only GM'd before, so my character generation tends to follow that line of thinking.  Hence what you see and why you see it.  Also why I tend to hide actual character traits from my original description, which i realize is totally what I did.  I tend to let players figure it out themselves.  Hmm. Interesting

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2016, 05:19:55 am »

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'd just like to say that this world backstory was magical.
Thanks. :3

I'll probably start rolling for sheets and getting everything set up within the next 24 hours or so. So far we have:

-Vitamancer/Communion/Summoning Mad Scientist
-Necromancy/Vitamancy/Enchanting Powermad Ascendant
-Fire/Destruction/Swords Volatile Battlemage
-Necromancy/Leadership/Bone Carving Mindless Peon Menial Laborer
-Transmutation/Melee (wait, why did I okay this, Melee isn't a valid skill!)/Metal Man Of Steel
-Ice/Conjuration/Flesh Cold Guy
-Transmogrification/Earth Architecture Ascetic Architect, or Illusion/Enchantment/Emotion Happiness Cultist
-Summoning/Swords/Seduction Senpai Hunter Ruthless Knight
-Summoning/Bone/Ice Angsty Mummy
-Illusion/Runecrafting/Lightning Literally Inhuman Asshole
-Vitamancy/Protection/Earth Doormat w/Berserk Button

For leaders, the current tally seems to be:
Skull: 2
Sugarpetal: 2
Polmarop: 3
Moth: 1
PATRIARCH: 0
Goretongue: 0
Goilree: 0

Embark site suggestions are a little harder to summarize, but we seem to be leaning towards hillier terrain and rougher wildlife. The rest is pretty varied.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2016, 06:16:23 am »

Any of the leaders seem like they'd be fun really. I wouldn't be opposed to having more than one of these guys try to lead us, like in the last game.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2016, 09:33:24 am »

Sorry for taking so long with da application. Just super busy yesterday. Here it is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It turned out skill wise to be quite close to Sjig, I hope it'll be sufficiently interesting to play though. I hope those magic skills are about right for what I was looking for. I guess we'll find out.

edit:
Spoiler: Leader and location (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:39:12 am by Criptfeind »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2016, 09:34:10 am »

mmmmmmmmmmm delicious sempaiiiiii!!! :P
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2016, 09:53:07 am »

PTW.

Name: Harry Kelln
Primary Skill: Vitamancy
Secondary Skills: Communion, Summoning
Tertiary Skills: Persuasive Speech, Enchanting, Protection
Physical Description: Harry Kelln looks to be the very picture of health, which is largely due to his skill in the field of Vitamancy. His hair color and skin tone are excellent. He generally dresses in rather heavy, leathery and undyed robes.
Mental Description: Harry has keen interests in seeing just how far the physical body can go with the assistance of magic, and seems to be pretty imaginative in what exactly he does with his subjects, though he generally modifies them while they are asleep or otherwise unable to feel pain, out of sympathy. He is rather sensitive to his subjects and assistants, and generally prefers them to be in the peak of health, both for his own sake and so that they can do their jobs easily. He is generally courteous to allies and friends.
Bio: Harry was well-known for his ability to heal all ails, and many nobles have visited him throughout his career to receive his miracle cures. However, his experiments were viewed as unethical by some (which, looking back, was pretty reasonable) and in the growing hostility of the populace he was associated with the recent events and cast out with them. He did, in fact, live on the now-evicted baron's land, and aided them in their pursuits, mostly out of loyalty to them rather than actually wanting to do it (he had better things to do). However, this is a good opportunity for Harry to start really looking into the astral communications, which he was shunned for (many saw this as akin to dealing with the devil).
Can't. Stop. Laughing.

"Don't worry, I'll improve you in your sleep so you don't feel any pain!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12