Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adventure mode without battles  (Read 5774 times)

mr1name

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adventure mode without battles
« on: June 05, 2016, 03:01:14 am »

What if i want to play adventure mode without battles? I mean if i created character with skills like writer, poet or singer, what should i do? I can see deep system of composing poems and etc., but how can i even survive in city? Because i cant find some way to get coins by doing this. Even if i started as a heartperson and he accepted me as performer, what next? It doest gives me anything. So is it even possible in adventure mode to live as normal person and getting money by performing poems or writing books?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:05:10 am by mr1name »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode without battles
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 03:29:53 am »

There's not a particularly large need for money right now.
But, perform, become the official performer and people will give you drinks for free. That's a good start.
Then gain a reputation as an awesome performer and hire some bodyguards in case anything dangerous comes along (they don't need money either, just reputation).

Festivals didn't get round to being introduced this time, so the bard journey quest is a bit limited right now.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:55:40 am by Shonai_Dweller »

DeCervantes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 06:11:12 am »

As far as I know it is not possible. You can however earn your living without fighting. If you need to get something to pay your debts with you can just cut a tree down and use the wood to make stuff to trade away. The stone axe does not work at the moment but with the next update you should be able to supply yourself without having to ever fight anything or even start with a weapon.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 11:27:55 am »

As far as I know it is not possible. You can however earn your living without fighting. If you need to get something to pay your debts with you can just cut a tree down and use the wood to make stuff to trade away. The stone axe does not work at the moment but with the next update you should be able to supply yourself without having to ever fight anything or even start with a weapon.
stone axe doesn't work but a normal axe will so dump points into axeman and get a free chopping axe. also any weapon that falls under the axe family will also work for cutting down trees.
being pacifist in adventure mode is doable mostly for those who want to discover something in game that isn't just bloodshed.

considering you don't need to spend money on food or drinks if you can just pluck the stuff for free out in the woods or wander over to the many food bags the towns have.
or play a race that doesn't need to eat or drink at all then just write stories all day and night.
writing aspect adds more types of books you can write if you keep reading new and different books some with magical storing properties if you know necromancy.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 07:16:37 am »

Unfortunately your unit name is recruit even without any combat skills and you'll still start with copper spear and dagger. Roleplay-wise there's no way to start as a pure pacifist.

Until/unless Toady sorts unit names so that they're dependent on highest skill, as in all skill points in carpentry make you a carpenter, or no weapon/trade skills making you a peasant, there will always be that disconnect.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 10:43:37 am »

Unfortunately your unit name is recruit even without any combat skills and you'll still start with copper spear and dagger. Roleplay-wise there's no way to start as a pure pacifist.

Until/unless Toady sorts unit names so that they're dependent on highest skill, as in all skill points in carpentry make you a carpenter, or no weapon/trade skills making you a peasant, there will always be that disconnect.
that's probably due to adventurers are classed in a single man army and up being autogiven the rank recruit due to fort mode hardcoded naming schemes and has nothing to do with murdering or what not. I don't see how that affects your character pure pacifism like being given the professional name?
like the dagger probably can be used to wittle sculptures and your spear for carpentry the starting weapons can be used as tools.
also I think Every peasant in Dwarf fortress start with a knife so
now thinking about it if you retire your adventurer in a fort on fort mode start up they lose their Military profession.
"body swapping and YOU!"

DeCervantes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 11:00:07 am »

Exactly what Rumrushed said. Right now I am playing a human that dreams of creating a masterwork one day. So I want to set up a workshop in the wilds were I can work on carpentry all day. I am only training military skills because I have to move warmer climates to be able to have my own water sources. Were I am right now all water freezes but it doesnt snow so I have to go to the wells for water. And I dont want to die on the way killed by wolves or goblins or whatever.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 11:52:42 am »

that's probably due to adventurers are classed in a single man army and up being autogiven the rank recruit due to fort mode hardcoded naming schemes and has nothing to do with murdering or what not. I don't see how that affects your character pure pacifism like being given the professional name?

Rumrusher, interestingly enough, it'd be nice if a character only identified as a soldier if they served as one. I say this because a hunter will tend to have bow/crossbow as their highest skill, but should still identify as a hunter when questioned about profession.

Currently though, non-violent occupations have some roleplay value, but very little interactivity. Aside from starting attributes and traits/predispositions, your character has no control over the performance arts. You cannot determine whether a story/musical performance is long or short, whether there is a wealth of detail or bare bones. Books have topics specific to book type. Crafting simply occurs.

You can't approach any of these things from a granular perspective. While I can write boring paragraphs about character building or combat mechanic minutiae in the "What's going on in your adventure?" thread, there's no way to do that beyond roleplay for the performance arts.

It is understood many of these things are like other things, just placeholders.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 02:08:18 pm »

the game class soldiers via legend mode if you work as a hearthperson doing a kill quest for a lord.
professions are just additional names that doesn't have any meaning or merit or gameplay value outside of labeling who's who for players.
when you ask about your self is when the real gameplay based titles kicks in.
you don't go on a mass murder spree and get the professional title serial killer.
like I wanna say you can lose the recruit status and gain the bard profession but I don't know if you're willing to leave adventure mode to do that.
I try to find ways to interact with adventurers which tend to push me outside of the boundary of adventure mode.
like there still stuff that lock out of adventurers in fort mode still and being a bard isn't one of those things thankfully.

like there talk option that open up if you assign a noble job to your adventurer if you move them into a fort.
I kinda wonder what options are there for assigning an adventurer a King/queen role?
"body swapping and YOU!"

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 02:13:54 pm »

I'd love it if peaceful roleplay received some more love in the future updates, as this is what makes this game unique. In nearly every roguelike the most important thing to do is to fight, but DF gives you a chance to be someone else, and to roleplay your character.

I agree that so far the art and writing is very alpha, but there is a lot of potential in it and I hope that we will be able to choose our book's topic, style, length, etc, but still I had fun writing poems and reciting them in various fortresses.

The only darn thing, as I wrote in another thread, is that I couldn't find any library or anything to write on to become a writer.

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 03:01:07 pm »

I wonder if the game would ever be interactive enough to let us play ANY job we want. Roleplaying a prostitute would be very original. I don't think that it was ever possible in a roguelike.
Yes, I'm gay.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 07:00:44 pm »

For those players who don't see anything wrong with sleeping their way to the top, prostitution can offer a source of income and, oddly enough, popularity with the NPCs that are their "clients".

http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Prostitution

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 09:12:17 pm »

I agree that so far the art and writing is very alpha, but there is a lot of potential in it and I hope that we will be able to choose our book's topic, style, length, etc, but still I had fun writing poems and reciting them in various fortresses.

You can sort of choose your topic. Once your character has read biographies, you can write them. The bio will be based on some NPC your character has interacted with. Or if your character's read about screw pumps, he/she can write about tech as a subject and the book will concern screw pumps. If your character has also read about cameras, then when writing about tech, your character has a chance to write about both screw pumps or cameras. This works.

Style of writing is based on character traits. If your character has a sense of humor, the writing will have humor presuming the subject matter allows for that trait to express itself in that written form. A trait like order can help with chronicles as they involve compiling info. Confidence as a trait results in florid writing, etc, etc...

The starting framework for creation here is great, but I'm hoping it gets fleshed out. Fighting has a fair amount of interactivity and success against certain creatures can draw on various things you know about gameplay, about the mechanics of this or that, require certain setups so that there has to be both character building and one's own improvement as a player. I'd really like to see non-combat receive just a bit of this.

One of my first, clearest and fondest memories of Dwarf Fortress was crossing a river for the first time in 34.11. It was a hot biome. There were fish. It was midday. As my character just stood on the riverbank, I took it all in. That can be a repeatable moment, but it doesn't serve as the connective tissue that interactivity provides. Interactivity makes it all replayable. YMMV.

Cormack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 09:58:38 pm »

My main dream is to be able to become a judge in DF - to be presented with evidence, listen to witnesses, to have to adhere to the criminal code or tradition, to pass the sentence. I hope that we will get that ability with the legal system update in the future.
Yes, I'm gay.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 09:39:53 am »

You can sort of choose your topic. Once your character has read biographies, you can write them. The bio will be based on some NPC your character has interacted with. Or if your character's read about screw pumps, he/she can write about tech as a subject and the book will concern screw pumps. If your character has also read about cameras, then when writing about tech, your character has a chance to write about both screw pumps or cameras. This works.

Style of writing is based on character traits. If your character has a sense of humor, the writing will have humor presuming the subject matter allows for that trait to express itself in that written form. A trait like order can help with chronicles as they involve compiling info. Confidence as a trait results in florid writing, etc, etc...

The starting framework for creation here is great, but I'm hoping it gets fleshed out. Fighting has a fair amount of interactivity and success against certain creatures can draw on various things you know about gameplay, about the mechanics of this or that, require certain setups so that there has to be both character building and one's own improvement as a player. I'd really like to see non-combat receive just a bit of this.

One of my first, clearest and fondest memories of Dwarf Fortress was crossing a river for the first time in 34.11. It was a hot biome. There were fish. It was midday. As my character just stood on the riverbank, I took it all in. That can be a repeatable moment, but it doesn't serve as the connective tissue that interactivity provides. Interactivity makes it all replayable. YMMV.
now thinking about it I guess those personal skill traits could be work on and grind up through adventure reactions so you could train your adventurer to be a better comedian and write masterpiece comics
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: [1] 2