Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fallout 4 Game Diary - Survival Mode + Realism Mods + Minimal Dying - Day 53  (Read 12302 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile

Let's Play Fallout 4 - Survival Mode + Realism Mods + Minimal Dying

~ Current Game Stats ~

Day = 53
Level = 23
Deaths = 7
(Self Performance Rating = Poor)

What's This?

This is a diary of my Fallout 4 survival game. I initially started a similar thread here. Issues with balance caused me to restart with some alterations to my mod loadout. I'm starting fresh again now, so its time for a new thread.

House Rules

1. I am going to try and die as little as possible. What I'm trying to do is have a tense play experience, where I really have to use judgement and strategy. Not letting myself die and reload all the time means that I can't brute force my way through challenging areas. The challenge is always to stop yourself from taking risks with your life that you don't need to take. When you die, 9/10 its because you got cocky. As even at higher levels a few well aimed bullets can kill me I have to be cerebral and really play the "meta game". Especially early on, I have to look for low risk XP, low risk loot, min-maxing my build and gear as hard as I can.

2. This is a survival mode game. I have to eat. I have to drink. I have to sleep. Diseases pose more of a risk. Enemies are tougher.

3. I've also modded the game to further increase realism and difficulty. Weapons do more damage. AI fight better. Stealth is less powerful. And I also get less SPECIAL points to start with (an average of 3 points per SPECIAL), and less health and carry weight per level. I also gain less experience for random things. Power armor is also more rare (Some Assembly Required mod). It also needs higher levels of skill in science perks to repair and modify.

4. Self-restriction on building. I'm using the Spring Cleaning mod, which pretty much allows me to scrap nearly any and all objects in a settlement zone. In past playthroughs though I was abusing this by single-handedly clearing out and building settlements. I've decided that this kind of negates the whole goal of difficulty/realism, as it is a pretty easy source of experience. So, I will now restrict how much scrapping and building I will allow myself to do each day, in proportion to the population of a settlement. I should have to be able to justify any serious building with the idea that I am only "ordering" others to do what is being done, rather than magically doing it all myself in seconds.

5. It's a semi-blind playthrough. I do have a little knowledge of the world, as I have played a few previous characters up to around level 20 before restarting. (Most recently I tried to play with some different mods that didn't quite work out, and I restarted at around level 24 due to the game feeling unbalanced. Here and there I may do some research online before committing to quests that are extremely dangerous. For example the compound quest, or the initial brotherhood of steel quest. They kind of "lock you in" to a lot of fighting that can be impossible for you to survive if you are not strong enough, having been built by the designers with the assumption that you can reload if you die. As that's not really an option for me I am allowing myself to do a bit of looking before I leap. I'm considering that "recon". But as I still haven't played through the game as a whole, I don't really want to spoil it for myself. So I'll stick to looking at information on places that I have actually reached. Definitely I'm not doing anything like exhaustive analysis and research.

So... onwards! Into the wasteland...

Mod Loadout (this list isn't exhaustive, but these are all the most important mods)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:33:35 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4 Game Diary - Survival Mode + Realism Mods + Minimal Dying
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 07:14:16 am »

Day 1 - Into the wasteland. Level 2. Meeting the dog. A new home.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 12:27:53 pm by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 07:32:55 am »

Day 2 - Exploring. Shooting a few things. Level 3 and 4.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 12:27:18 pm by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 07:47:22 am »

Day 3 - Visiting the doctor. Shooting molerats. Level 5.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 12:26:39 pm by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 4 - Back to Sanctuary. Home improvements.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 12:29:33 pm by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 5 - Fixing up the place. Decorating.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:26:30 am by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 6 - Hitting the armor Jackpot. Getting that Healthy Glow - Level 6

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 7 - I suck em down like Nuka Cola

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Black lives matter.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 8 - Looting, robot scrapyard, a settler, a gunfight
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:20:23 am by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 9 - Torchlight, Sniper Rifle, Helping the BoS, Level 7, Diamond City, a Haircut, Level 8
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:22:39 am by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 10 - Heading Home, Grey Gardens, Junk Yard, Ruins, Gun Improvements

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 11

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write
Pages: [1] 2 3