Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fallout 4 Game Diary - Survival Mode + Realism Mods + Minimal Dying - Day 53  (Read 12298 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile

Day 12 - Roaming about, Level 9

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 13 - Dreadnought breastplate, Raider attack, Level 10, Concord Museum, Level 11
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:00:40 pm by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Days 14-16 - Building a gate, southward bound

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 17 - The USS Riptide, getting shot, Level 12
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:54:15 am by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 18 - Part One - Fixing buildings, Killed!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:50:31 pm by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Days 18-21 - A Cunning Plan, Level 13, Minigun Vs Minigun, Atom Bomb Baby, Foiled, Super Duper, Level 14
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:27:34 pm by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Days 22-26 - Furiosa Arise! - Looting, Corvega plant exterior, quarry, BoS, level 15, vault 81, Hangmans alley, level 16, two pointless deaths.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:29:14 pm by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Incidentally, I checked my stats yesterday, and I have now killed nearly 100 people in Fallout 4. I wont lie, I enjoy shooting guns in video games. Maybe more than I enjoy swinging swords in video games. Excessive, comical violence has also been part of the fallout mix since the early days and the original isometric RPGs. But at the same time, options to take non-violent routes are far less with Bethesda. And the humanness of the people you are shooting at is also never really touched on. You are encouraged to think of raiders as being little more than human shaped monsters devoid of feeling.

Here's a recent talk by somebody on this topic of how raiders are treated in Bethesda's Fallout. Some interesting thoughts there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF-qky8jveo

Given recent events I have to admit it feels a bit weird returning to my digital fantasy world, which for, the last several sessions, has primarily revolved around me shooting people. If somebody could give me more of a Long Dark play experience, only in a Fallout setting, I think I would jump at that. By all means give me weapons, and allow me, even require me, to shoot people some times. But do we need an endless parade of faceless henchmen to act as targets?

Imagine the tension of seeing a person in the wasteland, and not being able to tell if they are "good" or "bad" simply by going into vats and seeing if their name is red, or by looking at their name or clothing. What if the game actually required you to consider your own morality, or the morality of your character, contextualizing your own actions? What would you do? It's safer to simply headshot people on sight from a distance. But take away your ability to disregard them as non-human fodder, what then? Do you yell out a greeting and step closer? Do you raise your own arms to show you mean no threat? And how would they react? And maybe they see you as a person they can take advantage of. Or maybe they are the lone supporter of a child. Or maybe both. Let's have some ambiguity and emotional tension, instead of a shooting gallery. There's actually a lot of potential here, if you step back from a pure FPS paradigm and actually think about game design.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:36:48 am by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day 27 - Adding a scar, Beantown Brewery, humble pie, another scar, way back home

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Days 27-32 - Finishing the wall, return to the quarry, level 17, vault 81, the robot massacre
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:24:13 pm by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Days 28-37 - leaving the vault, easy rider, mini metro, level 18, gun nut, backstreet apparel, dying again, level 19
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 12:01:22 am by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Days 38-39 - Running from a radscorpion, combat armor, the water purifier plant
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:59:25 am by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Days 40-41 - Sunshine Tidings Co-op, Walden Pond, level 20
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:47:15 am by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Days 42-44 - Beantown Brewery (again), Backstreet Apparel (again), hitting the gunners, some new pants, nuked to death
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:37:11 am by Yolan »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Days 45-49 - Fighting super mutants, Level 21, Animal cruelty, the comic store, level 22, Cambridge polymer labs
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 12:02:36 pm by Yolan »
Pages: 1 [2] 3