Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do?

More attempts at dragonslaying.
- 0 (0%)
More dungeon-crawling (how much depends entirely on how I feel.)
- 0 (0%)
Travel! Find some unique events!
- 0 (0%)
Kill enough robber-knights to make a portcullis out of their plate.
- 0 (0%)
I dunno, kill some witches or something.
- 0 (0%)
Just retire, bro.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Let's Eventually Play Darklands Part 2: Catholic-Consuming, Cranky, Cathars  (Read 22349 times)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

A man who looks like his about to thrust his groin in the direction of the viewer, and a woman in dubious garb, I feel Heroic already.

Intro Cinematic!

Spoiler: Intro Nonsense (click to show/hide)

The game is Darklands, developed by MPS Labs, published by Microprose, and released in 1992. It is also a "Heroic Role-Playing Adventure in Medieval Germany." Yes, it's a fantasy game set in Medieval Germany with all that entails: witchcraft, alchemy, miracles, great beasts, and demonic entities.

The main way you interact with the game is through a choose your own adventure style interface with still background images. Whether it be city, village, mine, or crypt, it is the interface you use to interact with it.

Combat is real-time with pause, very similar to the (significantly more popular) Baldur's Gate except more, well, rustic. Almost all combat is the result of a text-based scene with some rare exceptions, as such the isometric view is used only in combat and you don't explore with it outside of the (rather annoying) dungeons the game has to offer.

Game can be acquired legally here and here. The Steam version has poor quality sound by default and the GOG version has general sound problems. Steam's problem can be fixed by changing the default config settings around and GOG's by renaming some files so it probably doesn't matter which one you choose to use.

With that, let's begin character creation. It is something unique to say the least.
Spoiler: Character Creation (click to show/hide)

Characters should be submitted in this format:

Name "Nickname" Name: (Needs to be vaguely medieval, but doesn't need to be much more than that.)
General Build: (try to provide weapon type here also)
Childhood:
Occupation(s): (Each occupation equals 5 years. Aging penalties start at 30 with a small penalty to strength, endurance, and agility, gradually getting worse as you get older. At 45 you get penalties to perception and charisma, and at 55 you get a penalty to intelligence.)
Heraldry: (these and the character sprites can be found at the end of the character creation video)
Character Sprites:
Colors:

Backstory: (If you don't want to bother filling out the childhood and occupations then just a backstory and name should be fine.) 

If you have a good victory condition for the party, (that isn't slogging through the main-story dungeons) then provide it roughly around here. Same applies for possible party names.

Current Character Submissions:

Pseudo-Knights:

Frans "Francoise" van der Vos (Harry Baldman)
Hanse "Hanse" Lowborn (moghopper)

Battle-Priests:

El Vocalo de Deos "The Frank" (BFEL) Eaten by a Cathar.

Alchemist Warlords:

Jack of Euchre (EuchreJack)

Current Party:

Francoise
Hanse
Jack of Euchre

I won't roll numbers for every category when rolling for new characters, just in the categories that could conceivably be useful for the current party. This is to prevent asinine setups like 4 alchemists just because the numbers say so. We'll see how it works, this LP is probably going to go on for a while.

While I've tried to explain as much as I can, there's still some minor stuff I didn't explain so if you need information quickly you can read the manual here

Spoiler: Map of the Darklands (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Saints (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alchemical Recipes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Portraits used so far (click to show/hide)

Edit: added in Euchrejack's better formatted background list from his (long dead) LP and also added in a bit describing the usefulness of the various stats and skills.

Edit-2: fixed intro audio because apparently the default settings were bad. Might explain why the music was making my ears bleed before. That, and I never knew I was WELCOMED TO DARKLANDS!

Edit-3: added link to manual.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 01:35:58 am by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Ptw this very much.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Frans "Francois" van der Vos.
LARGE.
A childhood that involved heavy lifting.
Peasant.
Let whatever rag he steals be his banner.
Peasant, so presumably a lot of earth tones.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

Frans "Francois" van der Vos.
LARGE.
A childhood that involved heavy lifting.
Peasant.
Let whatever rag he steals be his banner.
Peasant, so presumably a lot of earth tones.

You really want to be a 20-year-old peasant? Or do you want to be an older peasant? Asking because I forgot to mention that each occupation = 5 years, and the aging penalties you get.

Wasteland 1 & 2

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dude, the average life expectancy is like 50. I wanna make the best of those years by starting to adventure early.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

Dude, the average life expectancy is like 50. I wanna make the best of those years by starting to adventure early.

Well, as far as Darklands is concerned young=unskilled thankfully your character looks something like this...

Yes, you've gone over the mortal limit of strength and endurance. What that means exactly, I don't know, but it definitely happened. Apparently the peasant occupation's strength and endurance increase was enough to make you superhuman.

Maybe I took "earthy" a bit too literally.

You have to pick a heraldry so I decided to take this one, seems reasonable to me.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:54:08 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, that's really all that I could ask for.

Although I can't say I appreciate the game calling me a wImp.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile

Hanse
Build: Melee Combat
Background: Urban Commoner
Career: soldier, Veteran
Heraldry: whatever
Colors: Green/Black

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

Hanse
Build: Melee Combat
Background: Urban Commoner
Career: soldier, Veteran
Heraldry: whatever
Colors: Green/Black

Born under the blood moon and another child of the gods it seems. The heavens must be stirring for some obtuse goal.

For some reason I had to switch between models to get you actual black otherwise you would've been stuck with brown.

Seems appropriate.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:15:58 am by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile

Looks god to me

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Name "Nickname" Name: El Vocalo de Deos (his friends just call him Frank)
General Build: Min-max Charisma, take ALL the talky skills. Maybe Virtue but ideally no religion. People THINK he's virtuous, but he just bullshits his way to being seen that way.
Childhood: One that gives talkies
Occupation(s): At least one rank of Swindler. Maybe a rank of some talky-priest
Heraldry: Whatever fits
Character Model: Something evocative of a televangelist? Also if there is a sombrero I want one.
Colors: Probably all white. (thas racist)

Backstory: El Vocalo de Deos rose from...whatever upbringing is most inspiring in the context of this speech when THE LAWWD spoke to him in a vision. A vision that GOD NEEDS MONEY. DONATE NOW TO RECIEVE *YOUR* CHOICE OF BLESSING, and with a donation exceeding [arbitrarily large amount of money] YOU can have an ACTUAL CONVERSATION with GOD!

Note: I voted "gratuitously rich" but ideally we should ALSO have a horde of relics when we retire. Which we then sell, to become even MORE gratuitously rich.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:31:44 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

Name "Nickname" Name: El Vocalo de Deos (his friends just call him Frank)

So your character is a Frenchman who loves Spaniards? Either that or one of his parents was Spanish, guess it works.

Wealthy Urban Family>Swindler>Novice Monk>Friar>Friar. I would have taken just one Friar occupation but Friars only have 18 EP, and that is a lot less than a character who wants to be a decent priest and talker needs.

Either a Orthodox looking cross or this, so I went with this.

None of the models have white clothing it seems, so this is what you get.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:54:58 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I'm kind of assuming your game is bugged if everyone seems to have insane strength and endurance. The last time I played this I installed from 16 floppy disks and got a ton of disk read errors oddly enough, but didn't seem bugged. :s
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm kind of assuming your game is bugged if everyone seems to have insane strength and endurance. The last time I played this I installed from 16 floppy disks and got a ton of disk read errors oddly enough, but didn't seem bugged. :s

This might be post-grinding.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile

This might be post-grinding.

It is pretty hard to raise stats in Darklands, so no, this isn't after grinding.

These strength and endurance stats are actually pretty normal in Darklands as it sorta expects every character to be a melee fighter of some sort. The reason why the stats are ridiculous in terms of the game's logic is that the game mentions in the manual that "The normal range for human attributes is 10 to 40, with 25 the average." which means that two of the characters submitted so far are above normal human capabilities just from being footmen/peasantry.

Wasteland 1 & 2

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6