Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You know I'm a writer.. Sort of  (Read 2003 times)

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You know I'm a writer.. Sort of
« on: June 07, 2016, 09:49:04 pm »

Maybe more of a conceptualize an idea man, designer. I have a grand idea, a grand world. A metaverse with intricate moving parts and diverse, interesting characters. But I've never been able to commit it to paper, to text. I've attempted many creative projects but never seem to get out of the first few steps.. And then, they just sit on my drive, incomplete.

Perhaps if I had a group, or a team of some sort, I could communicate my ideas and then through a team effort, actually help them come to fruition. So I guess, you could say this is my attempt at that. A shot in the dark.

I have a metaverse in my head, that spans different Genre's but if I had to classify it, I'd consider it Sci Fi. It involves aliens, time travel and other elements.. That's about all I'll say for it here, at this time. I feel a need to express myself, if this becomes something more, great. But I don't expect it to.

I don't know if there's some point to all of this, if there's something I'm meant to do here.. But there must be something to sate this need, to fulfill this hunger.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: You know I'm a writer.. Sort of
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 09:59:11 pm »

I might be able to help, though I tend to be pretty busy. I'll stick around, see what I can do.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 12:54:46 am »

I might be able to help, though I tend to be pretty busy. I'll stick around, see what I can do.

Hola friend, what do you like to do creativly? How might you be able to help?

And thank ye.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 01:00:27 am »

First of all, not trying to be rude, ideas are worth fuck-all. Every human being on this planet has lots of ideas, but until they are fulfilled they are worthless. A good writer/whatever can make the worst idea into masterpiece, and the best idea in the world won't save bad writer; the end result will be shit. Imagining things is pretty much efforless task, it's the writing that is the hard part. With all that in mind why should anyone help you with your idea when they can take the time and work on one of their own? To work on something they are passionate about themselves.

When it comes to the actual writing, here is the secret: no human being in the history of the universe has ever liked writing and no human being ever will. Writing is work and all work is tedious.

So how do you overcome that? Well, what's the difference between a writer and non-writer? Writer writes. If you write, you are a writer, if not, you are not a writer. There isn't really much to it; you grit your teeth, sit on your ass and write. And when it gets boring you write some more. And when you lose your motivation you write some more. And when just thinking about writing fills you with despair you write some more. That's really it.

In any case, best of luck to your future endeavors.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 01:44:59 am »

First of all, not trying to be rude, ideas are worth fuck-all. Every human being on this planet has lots of ideas, but until they are fulfilled they are worthless. A good writer/whatever can make the worst idea into masterpiece, and the best idea in the world won't save bad writer; the end result will be shit. Imagining things is pretty much efforless task, it's the writing that is the hard part. With all that in mind why should anyone help you with your idea when they can take the time and work on one of their own? To work on something they are passionate about themselves.

When it comes to the actual writing, here is the secret: no human being in the history of the universe has ever liked writing and no human being ever will. Writing is work and all work is tedious.

So how do you overcome that? Well, what's the difference between a writer and non-writer? Writer writes. If you write, you are a writer, if not, you are not a writer. There isn't really much to it; you grit your teeth, sit on your ass and write. And when it gets boring you write some more. And when you lose your motivation you write some more. And when just thinking about writing fills you with despair you write some more. That's really it.

In any case, best of luck to your future endeavors.

Firstly, I would consider your post an attempt to help me. And to your question, why should anyone take the time to help me, they shouldn't. Nobody should do anything, ever, in my opinion. Unless THEY feel they should. As I said, this was a shot in the dark and I expect nothing.

I disagree with a couple of your points. I don't really think ideas are worthless if unfulfilled, but that's because of my personal beliefs. I consider humans to be connected in some way, so ideas that may be unfulfilled through me, may find their way to someone else who is more inclined to do something with it.. But that's off topic, just wanted to clarify.. The other point I don't agree with because I find it to be a personal thing, is the effort it takes to imagine things. Many people have difficulty imaging much at all, let alone huge worlds, or even nuanced things about something small. Likewise, for some, it is a seemingly effortless task. And I don't agree that everyone dreads writing, it's likely commonplace but it comes more naturally for some, I'm sure. Especially when certain enviromental conditions support it, like most things.

As far as the work aspect of writing.. I have heard that before, and I will take the advice to heart. I have attempted to blow through it before but ended up getting lost in frustration and self doubt. It's hard to force myself to have motiovation on one singular thing after I'm drawn to something else. I tend to obsess over things for short bursts and then lose all interest, and desire, to work on them anymore. Or play them (In the case of video games). I've tried different approaches to affect this, but nothing really works for me. I think it has to do with my ADHD, but I feel a lot of it is a lack of discipline. So I've been teaching myself to be more disciplined, which is a bitch.. As a result, I don't really find reaching out to be a bad thing.

Maybe there's more to it, maybe there's less. Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough.. Perhaps there's some sort of subconsious resistence that's causing me to adhere to this pattern, perhaps through fear or some other sort of trauma induced bullshit I'm unaware of.. Whatever it is, I intend to break it. It's something that's plagued me for most of my adult life. Sometimes, it just helps to get it all out there. And if nothing else, I'm WRITING this huge forum post, heh.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 02:02:21 am »

Seems I misunderstood your first post. Probably because you used the term "idea man", which is something I associate with these geniuses running wild around the internet with some extremely vague, half-assed idea, trying to get others to do their work for them and expecting to get (at least) half the credit on the final product.

Anyway, seems you didn't mean that kind of help, so... Carry on, I guess.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 02:13:30 am »

Seems I misunderstood your first post. Probably because you used the term "idea man", which is something I associate with these geniuses running wild around the internet with some extremely vague, half-assed idea, trying to get others to do their work for them and expecting to get (at least) half the credit on the final product.

Anyway, seems you didn't mean that kind of help, so... Carry on, I guess.

It's not entirely inaccurate, I don't want to be that guy but there are some parallels as I am pretty scatter brained at times. I wouldn't say my ideas are half assed though, more like whole assed but the pieces of the ass are fashioned from other fractured asses to create some kind of frankenstein monstrosity that has troble expressing itself.

That isn't to say that I couldn't fill that role, the idea man as it were. To sprout off other people's creative talents, or even to be a game designer and "big picture" kind of guy. But that's more of a side thing, a supplementary role I can do (As you said) effortlessly almost. But I wouldn't try to take half the credit as you suggested if my involvement were half assed.

You see.. Um, I'm on disability. So I don't really get a lot of interaction outside of the people in my computer and my Fiance'. And I've never really had that work enviroment, you know? So (Like most things in my life) I'm coming at this sideways and trying not to plow through it recklessly like I do most things.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 02:56:49 am »

I have not once found that. Writing... I only stop when I have other things I need to do, like eat, drink and piss. Homework, too, is a priority. But after that, writing is great.

Anyways. Bluwolfie. I am willing to help you if you wish, although I do have projects of my own and another thirty-or-so people I am helping simultaneously with their writing and stuff.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 03:20:29 am »

I have not once found that. Writing... I only stop when I have other things I need to do, like eat, drink and piss. Homework, too, is a priority. But after that, writing is great.

Anyways. Bluwolfie. I am willing to help you if you wish, although I do have projects of my own and another thirty-or-so people I am helping simultaneously with their writing and stuff.

I'd appreicate anything you could offer. I am currently working on a writing prompt someone suggested in the "___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___" topic. I'm thinking part of my problem is I need to start small and work my way up to something more complex so as not to see it as so daunting. I am not sure what I will do once I hit that "Working on this makes me feel dead inside" phase but yeah.. Getting started has never been my problem, so I'll see where it goes and perhaps find assistence along the way.

Thank ye for the offer.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 04:39:24 am »

Maybe you should find a format other than writing stories to show off your setting? I mean, even some think like a forum game might be easier for you to share it at first.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 08:49:47 am »

Well, what's the difference between a writer and non-writer? Writer writes. If you write, you are a writer, if not, you are not a writer. There isn't really much to it; you grit your teeth, sit on your ass and write. And when it gets boring you write some more. And when you lose your motivation you write some more. And when just thinking about writing fills you with despair you write some more. That's really it.

Most people need this stapled onto their heads. :P

Good luck with your project, bluwolfie. Take one item from your world and describe it, then take another thing, and keep doing that until you have a whole folder full of things.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 12:41:36 pm »

Maybe you should find a format other than writing stories to show off your setting? I mean, even some think like a forum game might be easier for you to share it at first.

You know, I hadn't really considered this.. That's a good idea.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 01:07:26 pm »

Being a person with ideas is a pain in the ass. No one wants to help you, so you have to learn to do everything yourself, and only once you have something to show for yourself will you be able to attract less motivated people to your project. That's what being a leader is about. Learn to do everyone else's job first, then you can try and pull in a team.

Edit: Unless you already have a shitload of money. Then you don't need to bother learning anything at all.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:26:13 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 02:20:09 pm »

Edit: Unless you already have a shitload of money. Then you don't need to bother learning anything at all.

IKR 😉

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 04:46:42 pm »

Seconding forum (or just tabletop) games. You don't need much of the setting written down, it doesn't need to be the most eloquently formed thing, you just need to be able to communicate enough of the basics for players to get an idea what's happening. You don't even really need much of a story, as having a threat plus a good idea of how npcs will react to things will let the players more or less create the story themselves.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext
Pages: [1] 2