Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: You know I'm a writer.. Sort of  (Read 2012 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: You know I'm a writer.. Sort of
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 04:55:50 pm »

Seconding forum (or just tabletop) games. You don't need much of the setting written down, it doesn't need to be the most eloquently formed thing, you just need to be able to communicate enough of the basics for players to get an idea what's happening. You don't even really need much of a story, as having a threat plus a good idea of how npcs will react to things will let the players more or less create the story themselves.

Yeah, it's a nice way to start getting feedback on your world. Post a link here if you start a FG.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 05:14:29 pm »

I've never attempted anything like that before, I wouldn't know where to start.

But the basic premise of at least one part of the verse is about a samurai that gets abducted by aliens.. And wakes up to find the place in disarray, it then could lend itself to other styles, like a stealth game/turn based action RPG. Where the Samurai has to survive dealing with creatures he never fathomed before.

That's one, tiny aspect of the larger world that could play into different formats.. The story would be kind of it's own world, taking some tropes from Anime with how they kind of write their own history, loosely based on legends and such. Like the main character is named Kentaro and he has super strength, and the aliens experiment on him (Thusly making him even stronger..) ... It's a whole thing.

There's other characters, like a German Nazi scientist from the future who was also abducted, and sprouted a rebellion against the aliens. He then interacts with the Samurai in various ways.. And that's all I'll say at the moment for that story arc.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 08:01:03 pm »

Sounds like it would fit right in with the other forum games around here.

Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 04:58:00 pm »

Sounds like it would fit right in with the other forum games around here.

I am going to do one with a CYOA style format, the story I'm still kind of mulling with but it'd be a basic vote like others. I will link to here when I get it going.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 01:52:16 am »

Seconding forum (or just tabletop) games. You don't need much of the setting written down, it doesn't need to be the most eloquently formed thing, you just need to be able to communicate enough of the basics for players to get an idea what's happening. You don't even really need much of a story, as having a threat plus a good idea of how npcs will react to things will let the players more or less create the story themselves.

Yeah, it's a nice way to start getting feedback on your world. Post a link here if you start a FG.

I actually did end up creating a FG.. It's not set in my world (Unless it ties into it later somehow, which is possible) but it's a good excuse to keep writing, and it'll be fun. It's a choose your own adventure style game.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158694.0
Pages: 1 [2]