Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to the new managing system  (Read 1425 times)

Lordhermitcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New to the new managing system
« on: June 07, 2016, 11:54:28 pm »

Hey, could someone take time out of their lives to explain how the new managing system works? Like, the (u)nits->(m)anager part. There's all this new condition business that I don't know how to effectively utilize.

Thanks in advance.
THE CONCRETE IS ON FIRE

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: New to the new managing system
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 01:20:44 am »

Depends on how you utilize it. In general, that new managing system lets you automate stuff you'd have to do manually. Personally, I only use it for now to make specifically microcline blocks I'm building a round tower with.

In that case, I set the condition that the blocks have to be made out of microcline.

Let's say you have 5 charcoal. You can set the condition that once you hit 50 and the game performs a check then your smelter begins making iron then once you hit x iron he can begin making pig iron, etc.

Try making some simple orders with easy conditions to see on your own how they work.
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 04:19:58 am »

Did you mean (j)obs->(m)anager, or are you looking at something from DF Hack? Edit: Looks like you can also get there from Units.

The most important thing to realize is that the quantity defines the size of a single batch. It starts in CHECKING mode and goes to ACTIVE when all conditions are met. It will stay in ACTIVE and not return to CHECKING until it completes the batch, so don't use infinite or it will never check the conditions again. Setting the frequency to daily/monthly/yearly, etc. lets you decide to leave the order inactive for a while before checking again.

Generally, pressing (r)eagents from the (c)onditions screen gives you good presets for inputs, which you can then tweak to your liking. (p)roducts gives you presets for outputs, so you can limit overproduction. Each entry consists of an item, material, and traits. Item is a base item, such as 'bolts', 'bars', 'liquid', or just 'item' for any type. Material is very specific, such as 'orthoclase', 'jabberer bone', or 'steel'. Traits are the most useful, containing such entries as 'bone', 'soap', 'metal', 'unrotten', etc., and they can be combined with each other. Going back outside to the manager screen, pressing (d) leads to the details screen, which is where you set job details like the engraving on a statue, or the material the job will actually use after it's done checking conditions. The conditions ignore hauled items (read: more bin problems.)

An example where you might use all three is: "unused dyed hemp cloth".
"Cloth" is the item type. If left as "item", we'd also get threads.
"Hemp" defines material. We don't want rope reed, cave spider silk, etc.
"Unused" and "dyed" are traits. "Unused" defines that it hasn't been partially used in a hospital, which would make it invalid for clothesmaking. "Dyed" means we don't want un-dyed cloth.
You'd want to set the cloth type on the details screen to "hemp", or they'd attempt to fill the order with all kinds of cloth despite all the trouble of checking for the existence of hemp. Unfortunately, there's no job detail for dyed cloth yet, so we're stuck using stockpile links in this example regardless.

I have some more practical examples in this post. I use some shorthand for the inequalities (e.g., <= means "at most", = means "exactly".)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:30:20 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 04:35:26 am »

I've always used (u)nits>(m)anager. You can get there from (j)obs too? How convenient! (vanilla player - no hackery).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:42:32 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Lordhermitcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 10:18:28 am »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate this. I'll mess around with this.

I realized that the new system was different when I saw the dwarves trying to balance two orders with botched conditions.
THE CONCRETE IS ON FIRE