Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!(Working) SCIENCE!! - Retrofitting older fort to have libraries and scholars  (Read 1009 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews

So, having recently gotten back into both DF and DFhacking, I decided to take a crack at seeing if I could retrofit an older fort from 0.40.xx to have working scholars and performers, and I'm pleased to say its at least partially possible:

This is probably most interesting for succession games and such but some people like to play forts for a long time so I thought I'd write it up. This most exists for people to test with and help

What's Needed
 - DFhack
 - Patience

What Works:
 - SPecific item creation, i.e., bone ring, etc.
 - Scholars ... scholar
 - Making bookcases, paper, scrolls
   - Pulping/slurry works
 - Books, scrolls, etc.

What Doesn't (Yet)
 - Quicklime
   - I managed to add the reaction, but something went wrong. Instead of quicklime, I end up with a !!dwarf!! and a !!bag!!
 - Performers
   - Instruments, styles, etc. are generated as part of worldgen.
Untested
 - Paper plants
 - If scholars come visit now that your library works
 - actually getting drunk bar fights, should be a quick raw edit, but I'm not sure all the tags needed.

Unknowns
 - Getting items via trade

WARNING: This worked for me, but any major hacking with DFhack always can cause save file corruption and such. Be careful in hacking your saves.

1. Editing your raws.

First, you need to add the necessary items to your raw files. First, you need to add the new reactions to reaction_text.txt:

Spoiler: reaction_other.txt (click to show/hide)

And the tools to item_tools.txt:
Spoiler: item_tools.txt (click to show/hide)

2. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF YOUR FORT! Load your fort up, but don't unpause on load. Open the DFHack console and type:

Code: [Select]
devel/inject-raws tool ITEM_TOOL_SCROLL_ROLLERS tool ITEM_TOOL_BOOK_BINDING tool ITEM_TOOL_SCROLL tool ITEM_TOOL_QUIRE tool ITEM_TOOL_BOOKCASE reaction MAKE_QUICKLIME reaction MAKE_MILK_OF_LIME reaction MAKE_PARCHMENT reaction MAKE_SCROLL reaction MAKE_QUIRE reaction MAKE_SHEET_FROM_PLANT reaction MAKE_SLURRY_FROM_PLANT reaction PRESS_PLANT_PAPER reaction BIND_BOOK reaction CARVE_BONE_FIGURINE reaction CARVE_BONE_RING reaction CARVE_BONE_EARRING reaction CARVE_BONE_SCEPTER reaction CARVE_BONE_AMULET reaction CARVE_BONE_BRACELET reaction CARVE_BONE_CROWN reaction CARVE_BONE_GEM
Follow the prompts. Immediately save, and reload your fort. If you can load, unpause, and don't immediately crash, you're in business. Now you just need to add the remainder of the tags to get it to work.

3. Add the necessary tokens to entity_default. You need to do this under the MOUNTAIN section for dwarves, and under PLAINS for humans. Simply copy and paste this block

Spoiler: new entity tags (click to show/hide)

4. Make plants slurriable. You need to modify lots of plant entries for this, but for testing purposes, you can just open plant_standard.txt, find the pig tails entry and replace it with this:

Spoiler: new pig tails raw (click to show/hide)

That should be enough to get paper. I'll get the rest of the raw edits up for getting things like quicklime (which doesn't work right) posted and see if anyone beyond me actually cares about this.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:13:31 pm by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )